PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steeler wants players to save now for a strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only hope that the PA has a big set of 'nads to follow through. They need to get that arrogant c***sucker away from player discipline and correct that appalling CBA.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. As obnoxious as the player discipline stuff is, it only affects a very small %age of players. They're not going to spend much bargaining capital on it. In fact, in some other version of this very article I read it said this threat was over the recreational drugs policy.

And let's be honest - far more players are taking drugs than will be subject to the personal discipline policy. And the players know that, too.

If there's a lockout it'll be over revenue percentages, 18 game season, and/or recreational drugs, not the discipline thing.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. As obnoxious as the player discipline stuff is, it only affects a very small %age of players. They're not going to spend much bargaining capital on it. In fact, in some other version of this very article I read it said this threat was over the recreational drugs policy.

And let's be honest - far more players are taking drugs than will be subject to the personal discipline policy. And the players know that, too.

If there's a lockout it'll be over revenue percentages, 18 game season, and/or recreational drugs, not the discipline thing.
I think it will be about article 46!

I have always rooted for the owners against the players because I believe in capitalism (i.e. owners put up capital and therefore should reap a significant portion of the reward) and because I want to watch football. This time is different though, I will root for the players and I don't care if we lose a season and think that will be the same with a lot of fans.

Steeler wants players to save now for a strike

Steelers player rep urges players to save money for a work stoppage

Without linking, I recall many if not most NFL players live from paycheck to paycheck and 2/3 to 3/4 of them declare bankruptcy 2-3 years after retiring. This of course enables the owners to wait them out.

I hope more players listen to him and after the 2020 season they are willing to let a season get canceled. Even if the owners win, they need to get bloodied. Do everything to move Goodell's discipline powers to a committee

Not happening. When one considers the average length of an NFL player's career, the average rookie today will be permanently out of the league when the current CBA expires. Great idea, but not practical.

As I said in the other thread about this:

sounds like a great idea ...wait...I hear something... cough cough..*Antonio Cromartie*..cough...seems to me it would be very hard to save that which one does not possess for the most part..

sounds like a great idea ...wait...I hear something... cough cough..*Antonio Cromartie*..cough...seems to me it would be very hard to save that which one does not possess for the most part..
And to think that most Americans mistakenly think of George Washington as The Father of Our Country...

I would be so insulted if my employer looked at me as if I was so reckless or stupid with my $400k-$5 million/year income that I couldn't go a few months or a year without a paycheck. It would be like asking someone to submit to a drug test that only detects crack in a person's system, ffs.

And to add further insult, they suggest the players start saving 3 years in advance. Lots of respect for the employees there.

I'm as skeptical as everyone else that the players will actually save up and position themselves for a work stoppage, but I'm glad someone's saying it. It needs to be done, and whatever else you may want to say about the Steelers' locker room, they've been right about Goodell all along.

I would be so insulted if my employer looked at me as if I was so reckless or stupid with my $400k-$5 million/year income that I couldn't go a few months or a year without a paycheck. It would be like asking someone to submit to a drug test that only detects crack in a person's system, ffs.

And to add further insult, they suggest the players start saving 3 years in advance. Lots of respect for the employees there.

There are so many things wrong with this post that I'm not sure where to start. Here's a list.

1. The NFLPA isn't the players' employer.
2. The Steelers' union rep thinks players won't save up enough to go a few months to a year without a paycheck because, historically, players haven't saved up enough to go a few months to a year without a paycheck. There's no guesswork here, they have a long history and a firmly established track record to look back upon. Were you watching the NFL in 2011?
3. How is what you're describing any different from any other drug test?
4. If you think a situation that requires saving is on the horizon, it's always a good idea to advise saving as early as possible. What's the downside? The mental gymnastics required to interpret this as an insult are kinda impressive.

I'm as skeptical as everyone else that the players will actually save up and position themselves for a work stoppage, but I'm glad someone's saying it. It needs to be done, and whatever else you may want to say about the Steelers' locker room, they've been right about Goodell all along.
The Steelers are smart enough to know that weed isn't free, hence the 5 year savings plan.

It's beyond ridiculous.

Too many 100k dollar watches and Rolls Royces for guys who will literally struggle making it through the work stoppage. Talk about pathetic.

I have always rooted for the owners against the players because I believe in capitalism (i.e. owners put up capital and therefore should reap a significant portion of the reward) and because I want to watch football. This time is different though, I will root for the players and I don't care if we lose a season and think that will be the same with a lot of fans.

If you believe in capitalism, why do you always (until now) support the side that demands a draft and hard salary cap in order to restrict free movement of labor and artificially depress player wages far below what they'd get in a free market? The draft and salary cap are both about as anti-free market as it gets.

Last edited:
Not happening. When one considers the average length of an NFL player's career, the average rookie today will be permanently out of the league when the current CBA expires. Great idea, but not practical.

I assume by average length of career you're referring to the 3 year figure that gets thrown around a lot, but that's kinda misleading because it includes all the JAGs who play in one career game before promptly being cut and never seeing an NFL field again. It's only technically true, in the same sense that technically the average person has fewer than two arms.

Here's some other, arguably more accurate numbers. The average career length of a rookie who makes an opening day roster is 6 years. So just by earning a roster spot in your rookie training camp, you've already doubled your career expectancy vs. all the guys who couldn't manage to do that. To move a bit further up the ladder, the average career length for a first round picks is 9 years. The average career length of players who earn a Pro Bowl selection is 12 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back