PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Statement from Bill Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. He said "My interpretation was incorrect". That's contrition.

I think you need to use dictionary.com. Belichick's statement following yesterday's statement acknowledged who had the power to make his interpretation be the right one. He basically said, OK you caught me. See you next time.

And yes, I am as glad this is behind us as everyone else.

"My interpretation was incorrect" is a statement of contrition. Had he said "Goodell's interpretation was incorrect" that would NOT have been a statement of contrition.

As a professional linguist for the U.S. Department of Defense in the 80's and 90's, I need no dictionary.com for that conclusion.

Actually, in the context of the situation and the statement, it was not a statement of contrition. It was an act of concession, and there's a big difference:

Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect.

Belichick interpreted the rule in one manner, but conceded that he had interpreted it wrongly, and pretty grudgingly at at that: "all accepted interpretations". There is no contrition towards aimed at the Commissioner or the NFL. In fact, he's pretty clear about that. He apologized to the Patriots and those associated with the team, and he apologized to the fans. He never apologized to Goodell, the Jets, Mangini or the league. In fact, he essentially calls them out in the paragraph prior:

As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week’s game. We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress.

In other words the statement boils down to "I'm sorry to the team and the fans for the ruckus. As the commissioner admits, I didn't cheat, and I don't think the rule meant what the commissioner claims it meant. However, he's the commissioner, and he disagreed with my interpretation and I'm not going to contest this because he's the highest authority in the league on these matters."

I haven't supported Belichick in all this. But you know what, he didn't risk the future fo the franchise, any more than he has by living on the edge in the past. The first round draft choice means diddly squat. Why don't you go over to the jets board. They'll appreciate the whining.

Belichick stuck to the Commissioner, and he didn't back down. This will cost him $500,000. And for him, it was probably well worth it. He made his choice. He paid the price. And now, he will go back to coaching the best team in football (or at least one of the top three). His coaching has and will more than make up for the loss of a draft choice or two.

Indeed, draft picks are now useless, particularly first round draft picks. Hell, let's just give up all the draft picks in 2008 since they "don't mean diddly squat". Indeed, we all saw how well Belichick's "coaching made up" for a lack of skilled players in 2005 & 2006. :rolleyes: Belichick made a stupid decision that will have a significant impact on the Pats future and you can act like an ostrich and keep your head in the sand but doing so will not change the facts.

Indeed, draft picks are now useless, particularly first round draft picks. Hell, let's just give up all the draft picks in 2008 since they "don't mean diddly squat". Indeed, we all saw how well Belichick's "coaching made up" for a lack of skilled players in 2005 & 2006. :rolleyes: Belichick made a stupid decision that will have a significant impact on the Pats future and you can act like an ostrich and keep your head in the sand but doing so will not change the facts.

And you can piss and moan all you want, but doing so will not change the fact that what happened was not a "stupid decision" but a disagreement as to the meaning of a rule.

An apology isn't going to bring back our first round pick. Belichick risked the future of the Pats knowing full well that he's hated by the league and the media, that the Pats are heavily scrutinized and after having been already caught. He did this even though there are LEGAL WAYS to obtain tape of a team's signals. He did this even after being caught and warned in VERY CLEAR LANGUAGE. The frigging rules states, NO VIDEORECORDING, not "no VIDEORECORDING FOR THE PURPOSE OF USE IN CURRENT GAME". To think that the spineless, "need for approval/look tough" Goodell would ignore the expected media generated hysteria was stupid. The only way Belichick can salvage this season is to win the SB. It's a shame - I looked forward all frigging summer for football season and now I'm going to have to avoid all sports shows until at least the playoffs. An unnecessary, completely avoidable self-inflicted wound. No amount of contrition will make it better.

Bye ..., don't come back now.... No room for fair weather fans here....

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

No one could misunderstand this.

Read both of Belichick's statements and you'll find that he clearly doesn't agree with your line of reasoning.

Last edited:
Do you disagree with either of these two points:

1. Belicheck committed this act to gain a competitive advantage.

2. The act broke the rules.

If you agree with these, then you must agree that he cheated, according to the dictionary definition of "cheat."

Webster's definition of "cheat" as a verb is:

"to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards."

Oh Wow, its in Webster, i guess that means he is a cheater !!

"My interpretation was incorrect" is a statement of contrition. Had he said "Goodell's interpretation was incorrect" that would NOT have been a statement of contrition.

As a professional linguist for the U.S. Department of Defense in the 80's and 90's, I need no dictionary.com for that conclusion.

"My interpretation was incorrect" is NOT a statement of contrition. Contrition implies severe penitence or remorse. "My interpretation was incorrect" is an admission of error. There's a pretty significant difference in tone betwee the two. I don't get the sense that BB is really all that remorseful.

Do you disagree with either of these two points:

1. Belicheck committed this act to gain a competitive advantage.

2. The act broke the rules.

If you agree with these, then you must agree that he cheated, according to the dictionary definition of "cheat."

Webster's definition of "cheat" as a verb is:

"to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards."

Oh Wow, its in Webster, i guess that means he is a cheater !!

Webster's online doesn't have that definition. Nor does American Heritage online. The Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary doesn't have it, either. The poster pulled that from dictionary.com, and conveniently pulled the only version of the definition that doesn't involve fraud or deceit because every other appropriate definition has an intent requirement.

In other words, in order to call BB a cheater, the poster had to be misleading about how the word 'cheat' is defined.

An apology isn't going to bring back our first round pick. Belichick risked the future of the Pats knowing full well that he's hated by the league and the media, that the Pats are heavily scrutinized and after having been already caught. He did this even though there are LEGAL WAYS to obtain tape of a team's signals. He did this even after being caught and warned in VERY CLEAR LANGUAGE. The frigging rules states, NO VIDEORECORDING, not "no VIDEORECORDING FOR THE PURPOSE OF USE IN CURRENT GAME". To think that the spineless, "need for approval/look tough" Goodell would ignore the expected media generated hysteria was stupid. The only way Belichick can salvage this season is to win the SB. It's a shame - I looked forward all frigging summer for football season and now I'm going to have to avoid all sports shows until at least the playoffs. An unnecessary, completely avoidable self-inflicted wound. No amount of contrition will make it better.

Huh???:eek: o...k... maybe you need to read Bill's statement again.

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

No one could misunderstand this.
Actually, my understanding (as it was stated several times today on the radio) is the memo said

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members {for use} during the game."

For which BB interpreted to mean, as long as he wasn't using that tape to gain an advantage during that particular game, he was okay. I also happen to believe that's why he did not bother to be all that secretive about it.

Goodell came in and said, sorry you interpreted our {vaguely worded} memo incorrectly. Then lowered the BOOM in a way that makes it look we cheated. That's what pisses me off the most.

Last edited:
Short. Sweet. And to the point.

Now it's time for the Chargers!

Patriots 24 Chargers 17

I thought he might answer a couple of softball questions about it.

You're just paraphrasing what you heard the memo states -- my post has the actual quote, which is unambiguous. No one could misunderstand it.
LINK to it then. I'm sure it was said the wording was "for use during the game". LINK it since you pulled it from a direct quote.............. and then I'll beleive you. Til then, I know what I heard.

Merriam Webster

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheat

intransitive verb
1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>
2 : to be sexually unfaithful -- usually used with on <was cheating on his wife>

American Heritage

http://www.bartleby.com/61/34/C0263400.html

INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud. 2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards. 3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.

Belichick has done all these things.

Great so you are a cheater every time you go 1mph over the speed limit, you are a cheater every time you don't completely stop at a stop sign, you are a cheater every time you do not slow down and proceed with caution at a blinking yellow light, you are a cheater every time you find a dollar and keep it, you are a cheater every time you break any rule in anything you do.

CHEATER!!!

Merriam Webster

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheat

intransitive verb
1 a : to practice fraud or trickery b : to violate rules dishonestly <cheat at cards> <cheating on a test>
2 : to be sexually unfaithful -- usually used with on <was cheating on his wife>

American Heritage

http://www.bartleby.com/61/34/C0263400.html

INTRANSITIVE VERB: 1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud. 2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards. 3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.

Belichick has done all these things.

Thank you for demonstrating your lack of understanding, your attempts to alter your argument and your inability to have honest discourse. None of the above has been proven in regards to Belichick. However, your posts have shown you to be dishonest and misleading.

Thanks for the link.....

Dictionary definitions are dishonest!? Face reality, Belichick cheated according to the ordinary meaning of the word "cheat."

Do you have proof that he cheated on his wife?

Do you have proof that he was dishonest in his taping or that he deliberately violated what he believed to be the rule?

Since the answer to both of those questions is a resounding "no", you're being dishonest. The dictionaries are just words defined. Your misuse of them is the dishonesty.

You know what...come sunday, none of this means squat. I spent all night defending my Patriots on the SD Chargers site and I left them with this little ditty to express the reality of the situation;

To Sillyboltsfan and other Charger fans like him/her,

Get out all your venom lest you poison your spirits. The spirit of the Patriots fans will remain strong & burn brightly regardless. When you're finally finished and too tired to hate any more, we will still be standing, millions strong. NOTHING will drag us down or make us feel ashamed. After all, none of us or the players we cheer for did anything wrong.

Now maybe YOUR fans cheer for an organization and the coach and that's all fine. We, the millions of Patriots fans are united and solid. Our passion is rooted in our own heritage as fans of the New England Patriots which has been passed down from generation to generation. Our pride and our loyalty to Bob Kraft, coach Belichick and most of all, the players who wear the red, white & blue remains unshaken and immoveable.

No matter what you think, say or do, you can not change ANY of the things which I speak. I understand why you feel the way you do and wish I could help you with the pain that has caused some of you to speak with raging hate. But the only way that will happen is if you win the game Sunday night.

So you see, it still all comes down the game. It's still all settled upon the battlefield of Gillette Stadium...damn I wish this game was being played on the frozen tundra in January...but hey, maybe it will be!

Is this philosophy or football? If it's contrition or sticking his middle finger up at the league who cares? C'mon people there are real crimes out there in the world. BB's a great coach, Brady's a great QB but I'm not putting them up on some shrine as role models for my kids. Therefore I'm not expecting some great bowing of the head and kissing of the feet if one of them should do something wrong. Unless I know them personally/privately I'll stick to my worship of them as football people and leave the moral judgements for those I do have high standards for, those that can effect my life, not just entertain me. Now let's play some damn football.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes