PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to Bill Polian (yes, I know he is a douche, but you can not dismiss his creds when it comes to being a GM) on Siruis yesterday and he made some great points about Stafford. He says that when you are considering a guy in FA you only look at the last two years, anything before that is ancient history. So he put Staffords numbers up against Ryan, and Kurt Cousins and Stafford had the worst year. He doesn't think anyone is going to give the Lions anything above a late second, third rd pick for Stafford. Polian says you need a QBR of over 100 to make the playoffs and all three (Stafford, Ryan, and Cousins) were in the 90s.

I agree with Polian, none of these guys are turning the Pats around, he says any of them would make a decent bridge QB if you have someone you are looking to draft to be your starting QB.

Niether Ryan nor Stafford are worth a first rounder at this point. Ryan's contract is bascially uncuttable and untradable for 2022 and he is 36.

Stafford is 32, coming off a back injury, he is signed through 2022, has a $33 million dollar cap charge for 2021 with a $10 million dollar roster bonus due on 3/17/2021 and again on 3/17/2022. The Lions are going to cut him, they might trade him if he agrees to restructure his contract. But the Lions save $14 in cap space and $20,000,000 in actual dollars if they cut him.

Once he is cut, then the Pats can look into him.
For a 2nd or 3rd rounder it's a no brainier. Can compete and draft a guy.

It's what the chiefs did with Alex Smith. Or the 49ers did with Alex Smith again lol

Jimmy G 1
Mariotta 2
Unless there is a chance in hell of Getting Watson
However starting to not like Watsons attitude in this situation.
I honestly know knowing about his personality but what I’m seeing play out here.
Make him sound selfish and yes I Feel Elway and Eli and Corey Dillon handled it wrong.
Same with Moss.
I would dance for a Watson trade.
Fist pump for Jimmy G or Mariota
I would feel like we drafted Mahomes if we land Wilson or Lance.
Cousins, Just had a breakfast of Finnish pancake, real maple syrup and sausage, orange juice and coffee, topped off with a couple of pistachio and cranberry cookies warmed. You are sleeping on a few others: Let's go through the list.

We moved on from two personnel influencers; Ossenfort and Nick C. They were definitely past their shelf life here. I don't think BB deserves all the blame. These guys rot.

Cam was a gamble. Hence the cheap dollars. You get what you pay for. Mariota would have been the better choice but Mayock beat Bill to the punch. Too many hits on Cam. His best years he had a great TE, a solid run game with a better O line than the Pats cobbled together this year ........and mostly a better defense than Pats 2020. Was I hoping for him to be good ? yes. He matured for sure but he could not longer make the throws.

My list in no particular order is:
Mariota -(better mechanics than Cam and can run some. a little fragile). Not a fiery guy which was a TB trait no one discusses.

Derek Carr-Look at his numbers. Better than what you think. His WR and TE corp are now getting better. He's only 29. 67%passer. 27 TD's and not a Gruden favorite. Seem to be building there in Vegas. Beat the Chiefs in a meaningful game. . But!.......Could see Mayock keeping either Carr or Mariota and Drafting a kid. Trade? Mayock and BB get along.

Jimmy G- "Made of Glass" is warning label. Same age as Carr with less production. Would cost us more than Carr I really believe. Positives ? knows our system. Would be O.K. with him but not ordering my Super Bowl tickets. Again ...not that fiery guy. Can seem aloof. Look at the Pats most successful QB. Brady and Grogan.....sometimes Bledsoe played with emotion.

Gardner Minshew-Laugh....... but look before you do. The typical BB bargain basement pick up. If they Draft a QB ,he's better than Stidham for competition. Over 66% passing this year with 16 TD's and only 5 INT with a horrendous offense in only 9 games He was made a scapegoat in some games.. Can be mobile. At 6'1" he is Mayfield, Brees size.What if he had structure with McDaniels. Now he has the charisma that was a positive of Cam and is fiery close to Brady.Place holder? Why not and see what happens under Josh. His numbers were not that bad. Waiting for the "he sucks". Very young. At least you know what you got versus a Matt Jones.

Kirk Cousins- Truly fiery. Decent stats with over 4200 yards on a mediocre team. Signed extention but........If Rodgers became available the Vikings jump all over him. Cap wide they need to make room. Like Farve a dagger into the Packers organization. Dr Jekle/Mr Hyde.

Aaron Rodgers. Why not? Oldest but the best option. Will cost the most in trade wampum.,,,,and salary. At 37, three good years? Is that all BB needs to make more SB's to prove he had a say in Pats success? Rodgers would assure the Pats a playoff I believe. Jordna Love is now in the Farve/Rodgers time machine. Rodgers is still worth a good return, but Love can't sit forever. Look at Packers history. Cost would be at least two #1's and a player(Gillie?).

Stafford-Maybe the best arm. Still relatively young at 32. Matt P? Was there a problem there? Maybe not. This kid gets nicked up but plays hurt. You MUST pick up WR and TE in FA ....NOT KIDS!.Could be a Randy Moss/Dillion type of productive signing.Cam see five years. Out O line and run game better that the Lions for sure. Big thing.....he is available. I sense Indy though. Some say Pittsburgh? No, Ben will play another year. They go QB at some point in the Draft.

Fitzpatrick-? Older but experienced. Can be as productive as Brady, Rodgers or Brees when he is on. Cheap. Look at dictionary under "place holder". Draft pick required but we have too many needs elsewhere. QB Draftee does not fix all the ills. Great leadership ability.

Matt Ryan- A little older but still plays at high level. Crayy Tam last gew years. Julio has been a injury non-factor. 4,600 yards and 26 TDs on a Team worse than us. See Stafford as far as Moss/Dillon signing. The Falcons want to rebuild. New Coach hire warrants new blood. Riverboat gambler like Rodgers. Could see a good marriage here with McDaniels and BB.

Sleeper alert? Mitch Trubiski. Bears did not sign his 5th year. They regret that now. Started to "get it" In only 10 games over the Foles experiment, 16 TD's and 8 INTs with over 2,000 yards. Youngest. Maybe cheap. Patience and a good running game with a real TE required. Mitch Trubisky has 5 fourth-quarter comebacks and 7 game-winning drives. Kind of Bradyesque and on a weak Bears Team, would Josh make him more deciplined? He has the talent and would be an upgrade on Stiham and a Draft pick for sure. Can you develop him more-so?

Playoffs? Rodgers is your man. Ryan has been there too but had more tools and a run game.

My thoughts? Get one of these QBs. Put your big boys pants on and pick up a real TE and a #1 WR; Sign both Hunter Henry and Gerald Everett (two TE sets), Sign Halliday or Robinson at WR (we need a #1 WR.......JuJu will cost too much). Sign Matt Millano. Melvin Ingram (should be cheap) and Trey Hendrickson (up and coming) and Leonard Williams as your run stopper (these guys would fit our CAP is we could sign them reasoably. They are not all top tier but fit a Pats need and mold).

Alex Smith might be the guy to be a placeholder. He might win a game or two as well. Great story.

DW Toys

Last edited:
Stafford has a no-trade clause in his contract - I wonder if he can use that clause to somewhat choose his own destination. That is: can he say, “I won’t waive the clause for NE and it’s putrid receiving corps”, but he’d waive the clause if Denver and their good receiving corps came calling? If so, it seems he’d be looking to join Indy (OL), Denver (WRs), or SF (D and WRs). NE has little to offer compared to those teams right now (especially with Thuney a FA)...

Last edited:
the market is going to be interesting.....Indy has to be heavily interested

if the 49ers look to ryan, garrapolo can be had....but his contract is ludicrous.....stafford is a better deal, better QB

there's just so many teams looking for a QB, and not much help at QB in the draft after the top pick
Are you saying Matt Ryan to the 49ers? The cap numbers of moving Ryan out of Atlanta are unworkable - an eye watering $50 million in dead cap space.

Are you saying Matt Ryan to the 49ers? The cap numbers of moving Ryan out of Atlanta are unworkable - an eye watering $50 million in dead cap space.

that was some early speculation i had read....media speculation, not fan lol

I think the Colts will overpay and get him.

Not saying I’m for or against acquiring Stafford, but I’m surprised I haven’t seen this yet (unless I missed it)...

195DE279-9312-4BA6-9D4D-EF746704B1B9.gif

Barf no. Let Stafford go to Indy.

Barf no. Let Stafford go to Indy.
We can't turn up our nose at every single QB who might come here. Either we accept a flawed QB with plenty of useful assets, or we stand on our principles and wind up with another year of QB limbo. I know which I prefer.

Might be better to punt this year as well and go with a rookie or veteran game manager qb. Brissett could be had for 5- 8 million . It could be a 1 year prove it deal . Surround him with weapons in free agency.

Get a number one WR from free agency and a middle of pack veteran TE to light a fire for our rookies . Draft a developmental qb and see if we can induct him in the latter half of season.

I think we have too many holes.. cannot lose draft picks for veterans .. need all the assets to build a young team...

could someone please explain all this marcus mariota love i've been reading here?

I just don't get it...

That and ryan fitzpatrick ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case