PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sortable Stats Through Week 9 (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich Hill via Pats Pulpit:

4. “Patriots WR Brandin Cooks still has zero targets inside the red zone, despite Tom Bradyhaving 35 red zone attempts (Cooks does has a two-point conversion). Chris Hogan and Rob Gronkowski both have 9 targets, while James White has 6 and Danny Amendola has 5. Cooks is the other big time receiver on the Patriots and while he’s drawing double coverage he needs to be more involved.

The percentage of Patriots drives that reach the red zone and result in a touchdown has dropped from 65% from 2014-16 to 58% in 2017, an indication that the Patriots are failing to punch the ball into the end zone. There’s an even more striking decline on drives that reach inside the 10 yard line, with 76% of such drives from 2014-16 ending in touchdowns, versus only 60% in 2017.

New England is leaving a lot of points on the board and they need to find ways to get Cooks involved in the red zone.”

5. “Football Outsiders ranks the Patriots offensive line first in the NFL for run blocking, which is surprising based on how little the Patriots have relied on their run game. The Patriots offensive line provides 4.92 adjusted line yards, which is the value Football Outsiders assigns to the offensive line out of the team’s rushing production.

The Patriots are graded so well because they do a good job avoiding both negative plays (only 18% of runs gain zero or fewer yards, 5th best in the NFL) and getting running backs to the second level 5-10 yards down the field (also 5th best). The New England running game has struggled on short-yardage runs (22nd) and on breakaway runs 10+ yards down the field (29th), but the fact the Patriots backs always seem to avoid negative runs and end up 5-10 yards down the field reflects well on the offensive line.

New England’s struggles in short yardage means the Patriots shouldn’t ask more of the running game by the goal line, but perhaps they should think about handing the ball off more between the 5-19 yard line.

This is where the loss of Julian Edelman has been felt the most. Edelman led the Patriots with 28 receptions on 51 targets in this range from 2014-16 and he would always put the Patriots in position to score. The Patriots have asked more of James White in this area of the field (10 yards on 6 targets), but perhaps simply running the ball would be more fruitful.”

Tons of interesting ways to look at these stats

#1 - it's a much more balanced and spread offense than it has been in some seasons. Even 2007 with Welker and Moss, as huge as those seasons were, became very very predictable and it caught up with them in the Super Bowl

Of course, if Edelman were healthy you'd see him likely up there with White, who projects for well over 100 catches

Cooks hasn't disappointed as a deep threat - which has really helped open up the rest of the field, but when it comes to TDs we see a lot more situational stats, with Cooks only having 2 TDs and White having none, despite what a huge contributor he's been

Gronk is Gronk of course - closer to WR stats than a TE, though I think those YPCs are him carrying half the other team with him at times!

Amendola and Hogan especially have really stepped up to fill the Edelman void in the Red Zone

When it comes to the Rush, Gillislee has cooled off from a hot start but I'd guess that's a game to game situational football scenario as well

White's balanced run numbers I think matter more than one can see in the stats as teams just have no idea what he might do when he's on the field.

Looking at how the ball is spread across the field in the air and ground is impressive as well - showing just how hard it must be for teams to approach coverage.

All in all I feel pretty good about how the O is shaping up even without Edelman as spreading the ball around will pay big dividends in the playoffs, where you can almost expect the unexpected depending on the matchups and who might be the open guy

Seems to me that Brady and Belichick continue to learn the lessons of 2007, as odd as that may sound, in that they'd rather have a fully unpredictable balanced offense than monster stats from a few players

That's a great way to ensure there's always an open guy at the time when you need him most

Just updated the slideout navigation panel last night to improve the navigation around here, so it's now a little easier to jump to the key forums and these stat pages. I also re-coded the offensive and defensive snap count pages to work better on mobile and they've been updated through week 6, so these are also now available.

Updated through Week 7 - including offensive/defensive snap counts, which can now be each be found in the slide-out navbar.

I wonder if that's why Dion Lewis is getting extended playing time. On tape when we signed him Gilly look like he have Big gain take it to the house potential.

Last edited:
Gillislee has been stopped for a loss or no gain more than I thought so far this season:

What a stat and definitely applicable to another thread on how Gill has been doing. While Gill's numbers, so far, are decent but modest, his minimum 3 yard per carry % is noteworthy. RBs who reliably gain some level of positive yardage are an asset.

And major shut out for Lewis. He's breaking off good runs and his 3 yard % is solid too. White needs no introduction and Burkhead when healthy is proving to be a asset in his own right.

While Dillon and Blount had individual years that would stick out, overall the Patriots simply haven't had a stable of RBs like this.

One thing worth noting that I noticed tonight:

Dion Lewis has been targeted 10 times and has caught all of them this season :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back