PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sebastian Vollmer on the first FG

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's another thing. I was under the impression that Solder was the receiving tackle on the team, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Solder did run a route the play before welker dropped the pass in the endzone in first dolphins game. It was a run fake and he was wide open but Thomas couldn't pick up the safety he was supposed to pick up. Ridley stayed in to block. Hernandez, Hooman, Fells were all covered and he had just turned his head to the left to check for Solder's route when he got sacked.

this thread just proves how crappy tv commentators are. They didn't say anything about this. How could the spotter working for Sims miss this?

It's a Continental thing. If you're not from Europe, you're not part of the plan.

Last edited:
cool story, bro...one thing though...Mesko is NOT the kicker, Gost is...small , rather minute point..but valid nonetheless

The ball is snapped to Mesko though

Seriously, I saw Gostkowski QB in a charity game, I think in his rookie offseason. In that lightweight setting, he looked as good as Zolak, who was also there.

cool story, bro...one thing though...Mesko is NOT the kicker, Gost is...small , rather minute point..but valid nonetheless

Yep, but Mesko is the holder. If you want a direct snap to Gostkowski, you need to have communication on the fly to Aiken and hope he gets the signal or the whole play is screwed (and the last thing you want is a ST f-up at that point).

Let Mesko throw the pass and only he has to make a decision on the play. Everyone but Mesko and Vollmer just execute a FG. Also makes sense to put the receiver on the left side since that is the way Mesko is facing on the hold. I think the Rams recently did a fake with their holder when Amendola was left uncovered on a FG.

4th and short, say 1 or two yards...if it's been practiced...how DOES the DB defend a quick pitch to Vollmer and stop him for no gain?...that formation means something, BB just doesn't la dee da formations for no reason

Unless I'm too mistaken, the last Patriots fake FG was a Vinatieri pass.

I've also seen holders jump up and throw passes.

Note that the kicker actually has a better pre-snap view of the field than the holder, so he should be the one making any decisions.

Last edited:
1) Texans don't see him (somehow) and Mesko throws him a pass for a 1st down

2) Texans see him late, panic and waste a timeout

3) Texans cover him and Pats kick a FG

Don't see the downside. Likely hoping for option #2 which is why you have to spring this formation out of nowhere and you can only do it once.

Ultimately, I agree with Metaphors and think that it was a little trickery by BB. You hope for outcome 1 (unlikely) or option 2 (much more likely) and worst come to worst, you get 3, which doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited:
my whole fan life I've been on the "take the sure points" side of the argument. I always prefer good defense and an offense that is not mistake prone.If anything has unsettled my lifetime opinions on NFL football strategy it's been these last five years.

It's getting to the point that what good is taking the three points in game now, unless it's a final play for the win? I sense I and other fans are in the middle of a paradigm shift away from the NFL of the past half century and quite frankly, I am questioning every game tactic I've ever held dear. Are we seeing a morph into total attack football? Is it becoming much more valid to go for the six the entire game now? What is the end game here?

You younger members, what do YOU think is happening? After all, the league is aiming their product at you, not the old war horses...it seems it's a brave new world...like we're all tumbling down the rabbit hole to Wonderland.

We snuck Mallet out with the fg team in the reg season finale and they saw him and called the timeout. So there are a few wrinkles BB is working on should the situation occur. Just perhaps don't have Chung call for the direct snap this time...

my whole fan life I've been on the "take the sure points" side of the argument. I always prefer good defense and an offense that is not mistake prone.If anything has unsettled my lifetime opinions on NFL football strategy it's been these last five years.

It's getting to the point that what good is taking the three points in game now, unless it's a final play for the win? I sense I and other fans are in the middle of a paradigm shift away from the NFL of the past half century and quite frankly, I am questioning every game tactic I've ever held dear. Are we seeing a morph into total attack football? Is it becoming much more valid to go for the six the entire game now? What is the end game here?

You younger members, what do YOU think is happening? After all, the league is aiming their product at you, not the old war horses...it seems it's a brave new world...like we're all tumbling down the rabbit hole to Wonderland.

I believe Belichick has always kept a keen eye on new trends in the NFL - more so than any other coach in the NFL - he isn't held back by sentiment or conservatism.

When people think of Oregons offense they tend to get fixated on the extreme up-tempo execution, but Chip Kelly has been doing some pretty interesting statistical based decision making - going for regularly on 4th and short - even when inside his own half - and also when in field goal range.

Alot of HC's are hamstrung by job security paranoia - they don't want to think too far outside the box - we all seen how quickly the media was to jump on 'arrogant' Bill Belichick for his decision to go for it on 4th and short vs the Colts a few years back.

Luckily for us, Bill has a potent combination of reputation, job security and not giving a damn what the chattering masse think about his decision making.

If, as a coach, you are willing to put your faith in stats and execution then you are going to find yourselves ahead of the curve - they call this a copy-cat league for a reason - 95% coaches are only willing to go with an idea if they can see it work without risking anything themselves.

It's not about the "product". Being more aggressive in a lot of situations is just better game strategy. What you have to gain is more valuable than what you have to lose. Coaches are finally starting to figure that out and trust the math.

Last edited:
Likelihood is he was taking a punt to see if he'd go unnoticed. He didn't, so they kicked. I guarantee if they'd not seen him out there they would have thrown to him.

I believe Belichick has always kept a keen eye on new trends in the NFL - more so than any other coach in the NFL - he isn't held back by sentiment or conservatism.

When people think of Oregons offense they tend to get fixated on the extreme up-tempo execution, but Chip Kelly has been doing some pretty interesting statistical based decision making - going for regularly on 4th and short - even when inside his own half - and also when in field goal range.

Alot of HC's are hamstrung by job security paranoia - they don't want to think too far outside the box - we all seen how quickly the media was to jump on 'arrogant' Bill Belichick for his decision to go for it on 4th and short vs the Colts a few years back.

Luckily for us, Bill has a potent combination of reputation, job security and not giving a damn what the chattering masse think about his decision making.

If, as a coach, you are willing to put your faith in stats and execution then you are going to find yourselves ahead of the curve - they call this a copy-cat league for a reason - 95% coaches are only willing to go with an idea if they can see it work without risking anything themselves.

If there's any coach and QB tandem I'd love to see go for it on 4th down regularly it, it's B & B.

Advanced NFL Stats has one analysis that suggests (rule-of-thumb) teams should go for it almost every time on 4th and 4 or less, when on their opponent's half of the field.

3688516023_07450826e5_o.png

I'd love to see this type of analysis done for Brady and this offense.

Last edited:
Could have been checking to see if he went uncovered ala Adam V. to Troy Brown resulting in the Martz embarrassed penguin face.

"Covered" being a relative term, of course. . . . Vollmer has a 36" vertical. :eek:

[Edited to add: I'm fairly sure he isn't 6'10", though he might look that way to a defensive back. ;) ]

Last edited:
"Covered" being a relative term, of course. . . . Vollmer has a 36" vertical. :eek:

Given his starting height and long reach, lack of FAA clearance has probably inhibited his use, a formality that BB should have addressed by the SuperBowl

Likelihood is he was taking a punt to see if he'd go unnoticed. He didn't, so they kicked. I guarantee if they'd not seen him out there they would have thrown to him.

The words "Vollmer" and "unnoticed" don't seem to go together naturally.

:rolleyes:

If there's any coach and QB tandem I'd love to see go for it on 4th down regularly it, it's B & B.

Advanced NFL Stats has one analysis that suggests (rule-of-thumb) teams should go for it almost every time on 4th and 4 or less, when on their opponent's half of the field.

So you should go for it when you're on your own goalline and it's less than 4th and 2? ;)

So 4th and 3 on your own 20 go for it

but

4th and 3 on your own 30 don't go for it?

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back