PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Kilowatt

Rookie
Reaction score
This was brought up a little bit in the addai thread, but it kind of took that one off track a little bit. It seems Pats fans don't want to consider Indy a rivalry, but when I read this forum almost every thread has some shot or comparison to the Colts. I said before, I am a Colts fan and did not come here to cause trouble. From a Colts fans perspective, I think the Pats are our #1 rivalry. Denver was brought up by a lot of the posters on here to be your #1, but I think that might be because they were the last team to beat you and there fans probably let you know about it. I have no problem with being a rival of what some consider the best team ever. I just wonder why Pats fans don't feel the same, or atleast admit it.

Mr.Kilowatt said:
This was brought up a little bit in the addai thread, but it kind of took that one off track a little bit. It seems Pats fans don't want to consider Indy a rivalry, but when I read this forum almost every thread has some shot or comparison to the Colts. I said before, I am a Colts fan and did not come here to cause trouble. From a Colts fans perspective, I think the Pats are our #1 rivalry. Denver was brought up by a lot of the posters on here to be your #1, but I think that might be because they were the last team to beat you and there fans probably let you know about it. I have no problem with being a rival of what some consider the best team ever. I just wonder why Pats fans don't feel the same, or atleast admit it.
We just don't want to admit it. We are afraid that someone will find out how good the Colts are and how they have been the best team in football, and the Patriots aren't that good. We don't want to admit that we are doomed.

Don't confuse hate with being a rival.

I hate the Colts now. In fact, they moved up to share the #2 spot with the Raiders,on my most hated teams list.

The Bills, fins, & JEST are our division rivals.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:

I hate the Colts now. In fact, they moved up to share the #2 spot with the Raiders,on my most hated teams list.

The Bills, fins, & JEST are our division rivals.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's not a rivalry when one team wins all the important games, like the (warning: incoming baseball analogy) Yanks-Sawx up until recently. The Colts are just really, really annoying, with that phony Manning and all the media attention they get because "offense sells", despite the fact that they're a tremendous group of chokers. I'd probably put the Broncos at the top of the list, because they always give the Pats problems, though the good guys have won some important games against the Donkeys. The Steelers, Jets, Dolphins and Raiders all qualify too, on some level, though Pittsburgh is near Indy levels in how much the Pats own them.

I consider the Colts the top rival right now, at least for me. I hate the Colts more than any other team in the league, and want to beat them the most. To me, Pats-Colts=rivalry #1.

Sun 11/5/2006

Pats vs Colts. Buckle your seatbelts. Midway through the season this will be a big test for both teams. By that time we will see who's for real.

PATSNUTme said:

Good point, though for me is is more despise than hate.

I think we're about to see the rebirth of the Dolphins as our chief rivals for the next 4-6 years.

I'm sorry, Kilowatt, that you don't have any division foes worthy of "rival" status. It must take some fun out of the game.

Mr.Kilowatt said:
It seems Pats fans don't want to consider Indy a rivalry,
Well, when in doubt, consult the dictionary:

v. ri·valed, or ri·valled ri·val·ing, or ri·val·ling ri·vals or ri·vals
v. tr.
1. To attempt to equal or surpass.
2. To be the equal of; match

So given the definition of rival, by Definition #2, they are not rivals. The Colts are not the equal of the Pats.

But interestingly, by definition #1, the colts could look at the Pats as a rival because they want to attempt to equal us. But it doesn't work the other way as the Pats do not need to equal the COlts. THey are already better.

Beat the Pats when it counts, knock us out of the postseason and go on to win a SB or two. Man, then we would have a rivalry.

Until then, I just don't see it.

On the other hand, if the Pats and Colts continure to play a regular season game every year, I could see this forming a rivalry. But you gotta win some games first, preferably when it counts. (I hope you don't - I really dislike the COlts after they complained aobut the Pats "cheating" on defense and then were caught pumping noise into the RCA Dome through the loudspeakers.)

BTW, I wish to complement you on being an excellent visitor. Most visitors here are pretty rude (though when I read the Indystar board, I am kind of embarrassed for the rudeness of visiting patsfans, so I guess being an unwelcome guest is normal.) But for me, you are welcome to post here, and I apologize for my post #2 if it was ridiculing.

Mr.Kilowatt said:

I consider Miami and New York Jets to be the two Pats primary rivalries. Until Indy ever beats they in a meaningful game, I just dont see the Colts as anything more than a better than average game.

I think colts are our biggest rival and the team I hate the most as well.

definitely colts

I think the guy Mr.Kilowatt is actually right and the Colts really are one of our true rivals. The Colts, whether from Baltimore or Indy, were in our Eastern Division from 1970 thru 2001. It is fair to admit that the fact they have been an Eastern Division "rival" of the Jets, Dolphins, Bills and Pats for 31 years kinda ranks them as a true rivalry.

It must have really sucked after, all that time in the division, to get moved out of it when they cut it to 4 teams in the division. Then they had to suffer the former division "rival" become a 3 time Super Bowl champion literally by stepping over their frustrated body! Essentially we've been competing against them for 35 years, the guy's right - - we are definitely in a rivalry with them, admit it! Doesn't change anything, I still don't like their team (but I do respect them as a dangerous opponent).

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only thing I don't respect about the Colts is they play indoors. Other than that - they're a darn good team. Every time the Patriots have played them the build up was immense. So yes, I consider them a rival.

I still consider the Jets to be an arch-rival.

It's nice to be on the winning end of these rivalries (for now).

Yep, Colts count. Denver is probably our self-appointed bogeyman right now, not just because they beat us this year, but because they beat us about half the time we play them. If any coach can be said to go toe-to-toe with Belichick, it's Shanahan - just the way they match up, I think. A couple of scheming ******s. It helps that Shanahan's got some rings too.

The Colts are like the Steelers, to me. I've always got a little dread, because they field damn good teams. But by the end of the day, we own them.

PFnV

Yep, Colts count. Denver is probably our self-appointed bogeyman right now, not just because they beat us this year, but because they beat us about half the time we play them. If any coach can be said to go toe-to-toe with Belichick, it's Shanahan - just the way they match up, I think. A couple of scheming ******s. It helps that Shanahan's got some rings too.

The Colts are like the Steelers, to me. I've always got a little dread, because they field damn good teams. But by the end of the day, we own them.

PFnV

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so we have:Hate, Disdain, Dispise, Contempt, Loathe.

We will have to buy a vowel or two.

OK people, let's come up with a word that contains all of the above. It can be our own code word for the friggin Colts.:rocker:

I know some of you people ar very good at this. Put your thinking caps on.

I definitely consider Indy a rival. It's like they never left the AFC East.

I'm an old timer and grew up rooting for Bill Russell in his epic battles against Wilt Chamberlain. Just like Brady and Manning, one had the big numbers and the other one always won.

PATSNUTme said:

It goes both ways. When I was at the draft with my sons and the older one and I we were both wearing Pats sweatshirts ( he a Rodney Jersey and Pats cap) we walked thru the pit with all 32 teams on the way back to our seats after he got called up to answer some trivia questions with Doug Jolley. Most team reps didn't give us a second look but the Colts rep was staring daggers and giving us 'dirty looks'. As I said once before, if even Pats' fans can aggravate the Colts, we've gotten waaaaaaaay inside their heads....All because we were wearing Pats garb.......

Hotel room in NYC -$189.00
Food at Radio City $55.00
Pi**ing off the Colts - Priceless

Rivals for what?

If people simply want to focus on the division each year, not a terrible idea, then (as someone else posted) our rivals for the past 30 years have been Maimi, Buffalo, Indy and the Jets.

If we are discussing the teams stand in the way of our next Super Bowl, then I must list PITT, INDY, and DEN. We have history with them all. And even though we're the best, on a given day in the playoffs, in a given season, one of these teams could very well beat us. And I would add MIAMI because they have two shots at us. They potentially can beat us in the division and in the playoffs. The NFC sux. So, over the next four years (the rest of the bb's decade), I expect these four teams to have the greatest chance of beating us out of a conference championship. For me, no other teams come close.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
RESPECT OR HATE OR BOTH
That is a matter of personal style. Fans from everywhere have their choices. Me, I hate Miami. Miami has taken more away from the patriots than all the rest combined. Schula actually wrote the rules, and intimidated the refs to changing their decisions. MIA also dominated when the pats were weak. I hate DENVER. I remember going to Denver EVERY YEAR and losing. I remember many losses to DEN. And I remember a classless team.

Personally, I have no hate for the bills or the jets. The bills have always been a class organization, well until senility has now set in. They have always played us close and well. Some hate the jets because of the coaches and players we have shared. Actually, I find family hard to hate. After all, for many, many years the patriots and jets fighting with Indy for the right to first pick in the draft. How can you hate a team that hasn't won a SB since Namath?
------------------------------------
INDY AND PITT
I have always had respect for PITT. They have played great football for many decades, and have been the class of the conference (except for the current dynasty of the patriots, of course).

For me, I respect Indy, their quarterback and their ability in recent years to put quality (and entertaining) teams on the field (much like the pats of the past ten years). Also, it hard to hate a team that you always seem to beat. And yes, I feel sorry for Manning, who can't seem to win the big one.
----------------------------------------
MY BOTTOM LINE
If we don't win, I would rather PITT or INDY win than any team in the NFC. That's just my approach to the game. I have absolutely no problem rooting for the AFC team, unless they are MIA or DEN. And even Denver! I wanted Elway to finally win one, something Jim Kelly (a fine Qb for a fine team) never did in four chance in a row.
--------------------
just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes