PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to “The Dynasty”

Just finished episode 5 and I am still wondering how this is allegedly a Bill "hit piece"? They basically spent an entire episode talking about how Bill was able to keep the team competitive and winning after losing Brady and I assume they were planting the seeds for the Bill vs Brady episodes down the road.
That's what they're doing, setting it up towards the end. Everyone knows how the story ends, so they need to try to weave the storyline in a dramatic fashion, to keep the audience engaged (non-Pats fans).

After the 1st 3 SBs, when the intoxicating effects of the narcotic took effect, Pioli says, you do anything to win. FF to spygate. The Mangini betrayal changes Bill. The Brady injury, shows Tom's insecurities for his role & sets up the "we can win w/ an avg QB" mantra. Then AH incident also changes Bill.

All of these are key moments in the dynamic between the 3 main characters. Like the post above from @Jim Beankie says, this is targeting a larger audience. It's a story about uber talented characters, their personalities, and flaws, set around a football team.

It’s not a Bill hit piece at least so far. There are some people here who are very very sensitive to any Bill criticism at all, it seems. I’m a huge Bill fan and I tend to get combative with people who dump on Bill but I recognize he has made mistakes, like everyone does. I’m enjoying the series. It is excellent.
So far it seems pretty balanced to me and doesn't seem to make anyone specific person look bad as a whole. I think it's been okay so far for what it is.
If AH killed here, he would have killed in Seattle or anywhere on the West Coast. Connecticut didn’t make him a killer, AH made himself a killer.
Every time I hear the Hernandez story it always seems like Bristol gets turned into Southside Chicago. I grew up right next to Bristol and you really need to go out of your way to find trouble for the most part. Weird (bad) things do happen there though for some odd reason but it is more because Bristol seems to produce crazy people rather than it being some sort of tough, high crime environment. A guy who killed his wife then himself, a guy who shot and killed two cops for really no reason, and Hernandez all were in the same high school at the same time. It is a dumpy, run down, depressing place but it isn't really "dangerous" just filled with weirdos.

If AH killed here, he would have killed in Seattle or anywhere on the West Coast. Connecticut didn’t make him a killer, AH made himself a killer.
He was running around with his toxic HS friends. Drug dealers. We'll never know what would've happened in a different environment. Carter told AH that he left behind his friends, told them not to call him. That's the #1 advice given to people in recovery: change your playground.

That's what they're doing, setting it up towards the end. Everyone knows how the story ends, so they need to try to weave the storyline in a dramatic fashion, to keep the audience engaged (non-Pats fans).

After the 1st 3 SBs, when the intoxicating effects of the narcotic took effect, Pioli says, you do anything to win. FF to spygate. The Mangini betrayal changes Bill. The Brady injury, shows Tom's insecurities for his role & sets up the "we can win w/ an avg QB" mantra. Then AH incident also changes Bill.

All of these are key moments in the dynamic between the 3 main characters. Like the post above from @Jim Beankie says, this is targeting a larger audience. It's a story about uber talented characters, their personalities, and flaws, set around a football team.
They do seem to be doing a good job of trying to build up the "why" piece of why each of the three main characters are the way they are.

Kraft talked about his relationship with Parcells and how that affected his dealings with Bill. Kraft also talked about having to make the switch from Drew to Tom and how he wanted to show Bledsoe loyalty but didn't want to interfere and also spoke on how the Hernandez situation changed the way he trusts people.

They have touched on Brady's competitiveness and drive and how he uses perceived slights to motivate him. I think they did a good job of showing some level of insecurity by Brady during the '08 season and how his camp heard the "system QB" talk as well as introducing Guerrero and how important he was to Brady's only major injury of his career.

Bill, in my opinion, actually has been given the most depth into why he is the way he is. Going all the way back to Kosar in Cleveland and the parallel between the Brady and Bledsoe decision and how much was riding on that call at that point in Bill's career. Then onto Spygate and how he really started to build up the walls around himself after feeling betrayed by Mangini and vilified in the media. He does seem to get painted as the no nonsense, measured, "CEO" type of the org but, at least in my opinion, that's what he was and for a long time it worked.

I assume next week we will get into the drafting of Jimmy G and the "We know what Tom's age and contract status is" and how Tom reacted as well as the idiocy of Deflategate. I think to most of us that ballpark timeframe is where the cracks in the Bill-Brady foundation started to show. I would assume that next week's two episodes will springboard us into the final two weeks and how their professional relationship couldn't be salvaged any longer.

You’re probably right, but not being around his gang member friends certainly would help.

Last edited:
He shot a guy in the face in FL.

So no.
I mean, it was a bit of a rhetorical question but that just bolsters the point that Aaron Hernandez doesn’t magically become a choir boy on the west coast.

Yeah, Hernandez wasn't "only" a guy who shot somebody, he was a DEEPLY warped human being. Getting new bros to hang with was not going to save him from himself.

But did he clean up his act in Florida? He was away from Bristol then.
No, you’re right, he was a bad person who was likely to get into trouble wherever he was. That being said, it was better he was off the Patriots and getting into trouble somewhere else.

The players seemed to know how much trouble he was, the coaches seemed to not care, and Kraft was completely naive.

It’s not a Bill hit piece at least so far. There are some people here who are very very sensitive to any Bill criticism at all, it seems. I’m a huge Bill fan and I tend to get combative with people who dump on Bill but I recognize he has made mistakes, like everyone does.
i agree with you,he made errors...100%. and there is nothing wrong with honest critique. but...most of the bill critiques are really over the top like he had almost nothing to do with 6 rings etc.

I mean, it was a bit of a rhetorical question but that just bolsters the point that Aaron Hernandez doesn’t magically become a choir boy on the west coast.
Except he had a wife and daughter then and was concerned for their safety. It obviously didn't make a difference at the end.

Except he had a wife and daughter then and was concerned for their safety. It obviously didn't make a difference at the end.
OK, but if he was so concerned for his wife and daughter he should have stayed away from his old crew in the first place.

OK, but if he was so concerned for his wife and daughter he should have stayed away from his old crew in the first place.
Yea, the dude was clearly disturbed. Still wish we would've traded him. Sad all around.

Watch the series and make up your own mind. There's a lot of posters white knighting for Bill, as if he needs it. The series is accurate, told by the players, coaches & execs in the building. At the end of this none of them will come out looking great (BB, TB, RK), despite them achieving greatness. It's an interesting approach instead of yet another documentary about the Patriots success on the field, of which there are many. This is not that, but it's also not a smear against Bill.

NFL Films white knighting

We all knew Brady was special after the Saints game that season.

That’s just not true. There was a large group of Patriots fans who believed Bledsoe should have remained the QB even after they won the SB, and they didn’t give it up until after they won their 2nd Lombardi.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back