PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Random: What type of coverage do you like best from beat writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i support BB

On the Roster
Reaction score
With Greg Bedards new site launching next week, this got me thinking -- what do you like best from the beat writers? What kind of stories do you like best and want to read?

For example, everyone writes the same training camp practice reports, but what makes them standout?

I appreciate insightful nuts-and-bolts analysis and news from behind the scenes. I personally like Bedard's perspectives.

I enjoy the breakdowns of plays a lot. The strategy behind them, what match ups they were looking for and if they saw something earlier during the game or season that led them to that specific play. That kind of stuff.

With Greg Bedards new site launching next week, this got me thinking -- what do you like best from the beat writers? What kind of stories do you like best and want to read?

For example, everyone writes the same training camp practice reports, but what makes them standout?
I enjoy reports that provide some sense of the emotion and effort exhibited by individual players. The "Brady was 14 for 18 during 7 on 7s" types of reports are fine. But, reading about diving catches that result in cheers from teammates sort of accounts interest me more.

I like human interest stories, something to get us a bit beyond one name and a number with the guys in our laundry.

I want to read about stuff I don't already know. Yes, it's good that Brady is the best player on the field. I'd prefer only to hear about it if that changes. Yes, Edelman runs beautiful routes and Amendola spent extra time playing catch with Brady. I know.

It's the newcomers, obscure players, and positional logjams I want to hear about. What are the commonly used personnel groupings? Though it's a fool's errand with this team, what's a guess at the depth chart based only on camp observations? I like hearing about guys like Sudfeld, Thompkins, and Butler much more than Brady, Edelman, and Amendola.

To the OP's question....All I want is fresh news. I'll form my own opinions

How about Felger's reaction to Bedard's announcement...
To paraphrase the douche..."what do you mean you are not going to troll and tease to gain readership"
At least Felger provided absolute clarity about his douche approach.
Then there is the CSNNE model......a low budget spin off of ESPN's failed model that turned off its viewership....a half dozen bloviators talking over one another about nonexistent controversies ....then argue about their fabrications for 4 hours straight....#unwatchable.

Prefer game breakdowns and nuts & bolts type of articles.

frankly, I think Zolak is by far his best on 98.5 during football season when he has games to break down and talk about

I'll have to check this out, as I'm only familiar with his late-game...breakdowns.

I'll have to check this out, as I'm only familiar with his late-game...breakdowns.

haha. yeah, he's a lot better on the mid day the day after. Very insightful and a nice perspective. Granted the show was even better with Gresh, much better chemistry

Just be accurate, and clearly delineate reporting from editorial.

"Trust, but verify."

"Question authority."

And in this market, there should be no excuses whatsoever not to be able to find honest, knowledgeable professionals (and native New Englanders, if possible) who actually, you know, want the team they're covering to succeed.

Last edited:
I really enjoy the Quick Slants Podcast, with Tom Curran and Phil Perry, whom I both consider beat guys.

They tend to have pretty interesting news bits that don't fit the mold of normal beat stuff. I.e., during Superbowl week, this piece about the float tank habit that some Patriots have, and the efforts the team's logistic people had to make in order to allow the routine to be maintained while down in Houston.

This tells me all sorts of things about the players on the team - human beings who have a very specialized job which requires really unusual things from them to perform at their peak.

I like to read opinions as long as they are based off of facts or personal observations. Also prefer the slant to be "pro" our local teams when warranted and critical when appropriate. I absolutely hate when they create a story out of thin air (Pats think JG is soft because he cannot play this week against the Bills is the perfect example) and then write/talk about it for days as if it was fatcual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News