PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prayers up for LB Harvey Langi & family: injured in auto accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely understand that.

Not that it would be impossible, but it would be kinda weird for a kid or typical addict to hit on that specific combo.
I agree.

It seemed like an odd mixture to me as the side-effects seemed undesirable. However I did read kids would do an "upper" then a "downer" so they could come down and be "level".

Whatever the hell that means...

Would be interesting to know Conroy's history with the law, suspect that if he is at this level at this age he is probably not a stranger to local law enforcement.. In RI criminal records are considered public information and available to anyone, google RI Judiciary.

Why does it always seem that the impaired driver in crashes such as this always seem to walk away from the crash unscathed??

Thoughts and prayers to Langi and family.

I have one suggestion for the OP, just from knowing people in road/highway safety... they jump down your throat for saying "accident" for a crash/collision/what have you... and from all we've seen, it goes double in this case.

When you say "accident" you trivialize what happened... "Oh these things happen, sometimes a car rear-ends another car and the driver just happens to have an open container and happens to be on several drugs"

If what we've seen is true, this guy made a choice to get behind the wheel in this condition. Sorry to bring it down and be a buzz kill and make a big deal over a word... but if it were me, I'd say "Crash" not "Accident" in the headline.

"Accident" sounds like there's nothing you can do about it... and most crashes are caused by completely unnecessary human error... like in this case, if what I'm reading is accurate, impaired driving.

I'm not trying to be a smart-azz, I've just grown to really hate this kind of thing (even though in my younger days, it's only by the grace of God that I didn't cause this or something much worse). I guess, whatever it takes to get through to the knuckleheads of the world, like this driver or like the former me.

That could have been much worse as so many people here said. And you KNOW that even though they lived, the Langis are still in pain. (Edit - found the reports of the injuries, and they are in a crapload of pain. Speedy and complete recovery to both, whether or not Harvey gets to live his dream and continue playing).

Last edited:
I was driving a pre-airbag '75 Impala and got myself T-boned on the passenger side (my fault, although I was stone-cold sober) by a car doing ~60 trying to beat the yellow light. My head hit the driver's side window hard enough to shatter it, but I walked away with a minor concussion. Didn't even get taken to the hospital.

Car was totaled, of course. Heavy frame probably saved me a world of hurt.

I rolled/totaled a similar vintage impala. I think it had belts, but not shoulder harness. Walked away. Those things were made like tanks.

Define "legit medical conditions". We live in a way overmedicated society and there are certainly doctors who will prescribe such ****tails rather carelessly for legitimately-diagnosed symptoms.

Yes. Don't get me on a soap-box, but what I (as an old guy) would think of as a cartoon "Doctor Feelgood" is now apparently par for the course. My understanding is that the "vital signs" got changed in the early 2000ies. You know how they say "how much does it hurt on a scale of 1-10?" Apparently that little question is underlying a lot of practice, and a lot of prescribing.

I don't know this driver's previous history, and whether the scripts were really his, but if we're going to go around loading people up like that, get them the hell out of their cars.

As to pain itself... I broke 1 rib maybe 6 weeks ago now, and I just got to where I can sleep on that side (and it's not comfortable). I can barely imagine Harvey's wife's pain.

The type of criminal who's willing (desperate enough) to break in to any vulnerable home will often take every prescription pill bottle they find, regardless whether or not they know wft it is, and then resell them to unsuspecting rubes as a great way to get a buzz. Could have been something like that.

I guess we don't know. My thing is keep people the hell away from motor vehicles if they're in no shape to drive. Tell people when you give them meds "You know that label that should be printed way bigger? A car is heavy machinery..." I know, when you're 25 you're dumb. But (not to keep redirecting at the "word" rather than what happened,) no way do I think of this as an accident. This was a choice, no matter what we can say about why or how this guy got that combo pack into him.

OTOH, except maybe for the Seroquel, those are relatively obscure meds to "the street" and that wouldn't be particularly useful for getting a buzz. Also, that specific ****tail sounds more like a set of prescriptions from one source. They could even have been legitimately prescribed to treat a legitimate condition, but 25-year-olds tend to think they're bullet-proof and often ignore the warnings that come with medications, such as "don't mix with alcohol" and "don't operate motor vehicles or heavy machinery" .

ARGH.

Once self-driving cars work in mass numbers in all conditions... this crash is a billboard for making human operation of a motor vehicle against the law.

Because I like driving, I hope the scenario is that he took a bunch of unfamiliar meds. He apparently passed the field sobriety test and a breathalyzer; so although those are far from foolproof, the open container might be unrelated. It might be exactly what he said: He was on three impairing drugs that he had perfectly good reasons to take.

I still say don't call it an accident. You've got a huge impairment risk, which you have to figure was a cause, probably layered on other risks (it's not as if we have a 48 hour sleep-wake history before the crash to nail down fatigue, for example). Some risks might even be environmental, hell, maybe the marked lane wasn't that well marked, who knows.

But you definitely come away from reading this stuff and thinking "that didn't have to happen."

I am guessing that if the guy is saying those are his prescription meds, they'll be found in his system, not just in a bag. (And who carries a bag of prescription meds that they're used to? Once you're taking them regularly don't you find a more portable arrangement, like a little pill box to keep, say, 1-3 of each for the day? Or am I just projecting old suburban dude prescription med-carrying practices onto this guy?)

Maybe I am old school, but why drive around with a bag of prescriptions.. legal or not??

And with an open container of booze.. this whole thing is completely unavoidable.

avoidable, but I knew what you meant and super agree

Once self-driving cars work in mass numbers in all conditions...

Then all we'll need to worry about is hackers. ;)

Seriously, though, I agree 100%. Personally, I avoid getting behind the wheel - or even on the riding mower - after taking a mild OTC anti-histamine. But then, I'm a 65-year-old who's continually surprised that I survived being a 25-year-old.

Anyway, just to be clear, I wasn't justifying the driver getting behind the wheel while on those meds, just offering an alternative explanation to the contention that he must have obtained them illegitimately for the purpose of getting high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back