PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pope Francis says Atheists Can Be saved..

Oh good Lord. It's looks as if you're spoiling for fights, and I typically gravitate toward something more like a vigorous exploration of a topic. For instance you may have noticed that RI and I disagree pretty broadly here. However, I don't consider him an "enemy" so much as an "adversary" by virtue of our respective arguments.

By "the O T S O B" I take it you're referring to the "Old Testament" [sic], and I can think of only one candidate for "SOB." Naturally, that's not my favorite description. However, plenty of the laws and incidents attributed to God in the Hebrew Bible are indefensible from my point of view. For example, the commandment to wipe out the seven nations of canaanites to take possession of the land seems a singularly human commandment in origin, and not the best human idea to boot. I am somewhat comforted that the prophets occasionally upbraided the people for not adequately completing their genocidal tasks.

However, I do believe that we have a choice as to belief, beginning with whether to believe or not. I choose to believe, and my springboard is Judaism, so my gut reaction to that "OTSOB" thing is "heeeere we go."

So, glad to have a gnostic around. It appears you see the God of the Hebrew Bible as the demi-urge. Of course, I'd like to avoid the usual button-pushing that could be predicted to ensue, to keep things civil. Seeing God as the demi-urge is no more incongruous from a Jewish point of view than reducing him to a digestible (no pun intended) man-sized chunk, as the more orthodox Christians do. Can I take it you're a gnostic Christian, or are you using gnostic in another sense?

As to my own relationship to the "OT" as folks hereabout seem bent on calling it, I'm not a radical reformer like the 19th century reform Jews who believed the whole Torah had to go, but I am a reform Jew. I think there's moral worth to be salvaged there... but I also think you have to go way past the bickering and the defenses to get anywhere, and that when we're most concerned with the best part of any faith, or concerned with direct experience of the divine, we have the least time and energy to bicker.

But then again, bulletin boards are most fun when we're bickering.

I suppose you see me most active here because I'm confronted with one sect's tenets being elevated to the status of "universal" in conversation with those who don't believe. Makes no real sense to me, outside of one's own church, sect, cult, or whatever.

So I like to see the reasoning behind such claims. So long as a modicum of respect is maintained, I think that makes sense.

PFnV

Gnostic Christian is what I usually use. That and esoteric ecumenist.

I do not mind your kind of mind drawing out many of the stupidities or contradictions in scriptures when chatting with people like RI P.

But by now if someone does not know that literal reading of scriptures is silly then then they are already lost to fantasy, miracles and magic and are not really worth trying to save. Their brainwashing is complete and they are in the fundamentalist Phelp's camp.

I prefer to try them on their moral view which is more immoral than not as they always create a double standard to justify their genocidal son murderer.

I admit to having a hard time respecting such minds as they have willfully decided to remain ignorant.

Not a good human trait.

Christianity is still causing way too much pain and suffering for me not to have the gloves off. I do try the soft approach when I can but I do not take their faith based B S as it causes them to love a genocidal God with more in common with Satan.

Theists constantly jab at me without content or correction and I jab back with correction and the true names of Genocidal God for the lurkers and not my adversaries, who like RI P, has already indicated he will run from actual debate.

Regards
DL

No. I would link you up but am not privaleged to do so yet.

I was referring to a new book I just finished called Caesars messiah by Joseph Atwill. I found it quite compelling and is of the time long before Constantine had the Trinity concept forced down Christianity's throat by rigging the vote for his own self-aggrandizement as a man God.

Regards
DL

Well, if you found it compelling then it must be absolute truth.

Re: Pope francis says atheists will go to heaven..

I fixed the headline for you...cuz, that is what he said. And if atheists are going to heaven, where are the believers going to go?

Things that make you go...hmmmm!?!?

I'll set out a few points here, and a couple of questions -

1 - Never occurred to me to call RI, RI P. Ouch. I'm not following suit, but funny.

2 - RI did not spring into action quoting scripture until I goaded him to. In the interest of accuracy, his source material is almost always in defense of the Catholic Church, not the Christian or Jewish scriptures. That is to say, he brings in scripture only to build the bridge to his own Church's teachings, pretty much in self-defense.

3 - I (predictably) disagree with his main point, that his Church teaches the universal holy incontrovertible one truth.

4 - I (predictably) disagree with your "truth" about the "true" name of God. I understand where it comes from, as I understand where RI's orthodoxy (and the back and forth we've had about it) comes from. But it's really just name-calling. It seems like you've telegraphed a really low opinion of the God of the Hebrew bible, as well as the figure adopted by orthodox Christians. I'd like to hear more about what you do believe, and less of the easy but less productive path. Again, just a request for civility. Without it, while I think we would have some common views, I'll probably end up completely at war over the dumb things -- and come on: namecalling is the dumb things. (/soapbox.) I'm not telling you what to do. It's an appeal so that this can be a productive conversation.

Questions, about your own point of view:

5 - I am puzzled with your characterization of opponents as "Theists," coupled with your characterization of yourself as a gnostic Christian. I take it we're not talking Marcion's gnostic Christianity here -- not that he's the only one to choose from :) I'd be interested in hearing your version of christian gnosticism here.

6 - (related) Do you believe in God? It's pretty clear you take a dim view of the God of scripture; to me, the Hebrew bible records the evolution of a people toward social justice, probably the most heavily emphasized point. The God of scripture who is nagging me about my diet and urging me to commit genocide, I'm not so fond of. The God of scripture called the "still small voice" urging me to do right, who tells me to do the right thing as regards the poor, the widow, and the orphan, I'm okay with.

7 - (also related) If so, why do you call opponents "the Theists?" If not, is your Christianity purely on the order of following a single enlightened man (or, Jesus as a prototype of the "enlightened man," such as the classic Buddhist attitude toward Siddhartha?)

My view of RI is that he is indeed quite earnest and quite doctrinaire, and does not shy away from proclaiming his church's doctrine the be-all and end-all. This is evidently what he has been taught, and he's quite steeped in his church's teachings. I think I've found several places where he's self-evidently wrong -- from my point of view -- but in keeping things only very slightly "edgy" I feel I'm learning a good deal in the process (if only about the extreme ideologues within the church, whether among the laity or the clergy.) Other than doggedly defending church teaching, however offensive -- and perhaps focusing on some more offensive bits -- he's tried in most cases to be (in relative terms) civil.

Given the ease with which a religion forum can descend into mutual accusation and recrimination (been there, believe me,) I'd like to learn about what you, personally believe, as well as what you don't believe. It's fine to describe the character of the God in the Hebrew bible, as you see it. But, for example, I try to exercise restraint when talking about the anti-semitism that I perceive in he Greek bible, and its historical results; I know I won't go very far if that is all I can see of the Christian perspective. RI hasn't jumped at the many opportunities to make that perspective the center of his debate. I don't know about him, but I certainly haven't gone on a tear about what terrible doctrines have been taught in the name of gnosticism... and if we move to that discussion, it should certainly be treated in terms of historical happenings rather than why one guy on here hates the beliefs of the other guy on here.

Okay, long post, long appeal.

Hope you and I can get along, hope you and RI can get along. Hope I don't have to read about the son-murdering genocidal maniac anymore... despite the fact that I'm painfully aware of the worst passages of the Hebrew bible, and despite the fact that I'm anything but a literalist.

All of this adds up to: Enough about me, let's talk about you. Or more like, enough about my God, let's talk about what you believe.

Share, buddy. That ought to be enough to stir the pot in and of itself.

What?

You can call your God all kinds of things, like Love and other crap while I cannot label the genocidal son murderer one by his true label.

Reciprocity is fait play where I come from, Canada, but I guess not where you live. Not too surprising that you do not follow that moral tenet. Yours is a corrupted morality thanks to your religion.

Run from truth all you like. I will continue to give it.

Regards
DL

ok...well, that was quick.

I will not be responding to you anymore.

:) Despite the increasing appearance of proto-trinitarian sayings, particularly as we get further from eyewitnesses (note your primary reliance on John,) you've broken new ground by being right about something; namely, that trinitarian sayings are attributed to Jesus as early as the later synoptics (Matthew,) in the sense of Jesus making claims of divinity. Of course, that's where we founder on the rocks of likely reliability.

You've quoted as support (ironically) of your argument -- or more accurately, copied and pasted a quote -- from Luke. In the Luke passage, the crowd reprises Pilate's challenge -- the crowd does so theologically, Pilate in terms of state power:

Are you not the son of God?
You have said that I am

Are you the king of the Jews?
You have said so

In both cases, the scene ends in such a way that any intelligent reader would say that Jesus is basically saying, "you've got no proof that I say that other than your own accusation." In the version with the crowd, they say "A ha, we have it from his own lips!" The meaning's clear: They say his claim usurps power, either from God or from Rome, and his reply is "You have said so."

Although you do have scraps to cling to in (surprisingly) Matthew, and others in John, this one is the most self-defeating you could choose.

Jesus is, in essence, denying that he has made either claim in both of these passages.

What's interesting about what you've chosen is that the writer of "Luke" chooses the accusation for which each "interest" would kill Jesus: For the Jews, it is a man claiming he is the son of God. For the Romans, it is the claim that he is the secular ruler of the Jews, who have a Roman governor and a "king," Herod (who I think was Idumaean in the first place, but why dwell.)

Now then -- why is Jesus essentially denying that he ever proclaimed such a thing when the crowd so accuses him? The "clincher" passage in Luke says "You have heard it from his own lips," but that's certainly not meant to convey that the crowd was justified in their antipathy to him. It's a "clincher" that they're acting as a mob and judging unfairly.

Why unfairly, if, as you contend, Jesus is a blasphemer, identifying himself as God?

If you insist on mis-reading this and other passages, and take Jesus to be proclaiming his divinity in the gospels, we have two other problems. One is only a problem for me, because I am looking through as objective a lens as possible. To wit: how reliable do we take the sayings to be in which he proclaims a "bridge" to a church doctrine?

To me, of course, the answer is that sayings authenticity is strongest when it's unlikely to pacify either Jewish or Roman authorities, and when the saying in question appears in more rather than fewer gospels. These are the sayings likely to have survived in popular memory.

One day, you'll be ready to have that discussion, but for the time being, you're of no mind to enter into historical critical study, as we've seen. You can't do that and defend at the same time.

The other problem is that without historical critical study, I'm stuck just saying "nuh-uh." I'm loathe to do so. So I'll stipulate without agreeing... what if Jesus does proclaim a pagan doctrine, with him at the center?

I don't actually think this is the case. But I do think that if you are moving Trinitarianism to Jesus from his later followers, you've simply moved the entry point for pagan influence on the doctrine of the Trinity.

Judaism doesn't have it. In fact, Luke's very portrayal of the Jewish crowd establishes that Christians portrayed Jews as availing themselves of the charge of blasphemy if a man proclaimed himself to be integral to the godhead.

So: Jesus, in your world, is a blasphemer by first century Jewish standards. Whence comes this blasphemy?

Ground rules: Natural explanations only, thank you. Jesus is only a man to me and to history. If you are looking at the historical origin of the doctrine of the trinity in Christianity, why are you insisting that it's an "original" Christian concept -- whether the borrowing was by an early Church father or by Jesus?

I don't view it as likely that trinitarian Christianity has its origin in the life of Jesus. However, you say that you do, and I'm stipulating to your point of view.

We have already shown that Jesus took from the story of the pagan Socrates "take this cup away from me." Obviously, the authors of the gospels saw the Socratic parallel, liked it, and used it -- whether or not they inserted it for their pagan audiences who would know the Socrates story.

They, or Jesus, could construct their trinity ex nihilo, but they would have known of pagan trinities that by dividing the godhead and still insisting it to be "one," have accomplished essentially the same task of inserting a man into a role within the godhead (not in the sense that all men/women can be in communion with the godhead; rather, the elevation of one unique man to divine status). With the examples of prior trinities, and prior God-men (the Romans come to mind,) Christians (or Jesus if you like) were well-equipped to establish Christian Trinitarianism on the same well-trodden ground.

In fact, could it be said that people in contact with preexisting trinitarian doctrines even authored such a doctrine to begin with?

Can I write "Fourscore and seven years ago" without every reader knowing I am alluding to the Gettysburg address?

Perhaps in a better example, were I to proclaim that I am God's son and will die for your sins, would you not say that I am coopting Christian doctrine? Were a cult to spring up around such a saying, would you not accuse it of being borrowed from Christianity?

And, chillingly, given sufficient success, would not some future Church proclaim that I was only alluding to Christian doctrine, but that Christian doctrine was inherently flawed and that I came up with "my" real meaning all by myself... after, of course, it's gone through a twist or two or eight in the doctrine mill on the way to its ossification in a catechism?

So to sum up:
1) Why does Jesus appear to deny speaking the words he's accused of saying in Luke, both before the crowd and before Pilate?

2) Even assuming Jesus spoke the words ascribed to him in the Gospels ("does he not say it? Your Gospel says he does..."), and even if you can torture your few passages into a trinitarian "creed"....

in the presence of known antecedents dividing the godhead into triune form, with which Jesus would have been as familiar as he was with, say, the story of Socrates,

How can we say that Jesus himself did not borrow from preexisting triune concepts?

And I feel I should once again contest that Jesus was doing so, in historical terms. I am just following you down your rabbit hole. Why the inconsistency in (1)? How does Jesus claim his trinitarianism is a wholly Christian doctrine in (2)? It's fine when he cribs from Judaism, because he's supposed to be "fulfilling" the Torah. When he cribs from the pagans, you have more of a problem.

PFnV

Wow....so I'm right. Well, since I disagreed with you and I was right I guess that must mean that you were wrong too. Nice! :D

The bottom line is that you're not a believer. You don't believe in "revelation".
You believe that all these beliefs come from somewhere "earthly". That they were borrowed from other cultures and that there is no way that God revealed himself to the Apostles and that Jesus was simply a man.
So you have to try to show similarities between Catholicism and Paganism even though you agreed that this is not proof of borrowing.
Yet knowing this, you still try to demonstrate similarities.....lol. I guess since you don't have any actual evidence of borrowing, that's really all you can do because the alternative is just too unpalatable.

BTW, for some reason you keep ignoring the oral tradition of the church which is just as important as scripture for Roman Catholicism.

Wow....so I'm right. Well, since I disagreed with you and I was right I guess that must mean that you were wrong too. Nice! :D

The bottom line is that you're not a believer. You don't believe in "revelation".
You believe that all these beliefs come from somewhere "earthly". That they were borrowed from other cultures and that there is no way that God revealed himself to the Apostles and that Jesus was simply a man.
So you have to try to show similarities between Catholicism and Paganism even though you agreed that this is not proof of borrowing.
Yet knowing this, you still try to demonstrate similarities.....lol. I guess since you don't have any actual evidence of borrowing, that's really all you can do because the alternative is just too unpalatable.

BTW, for some reason you keep ignoring the oral tradition of the church which is just as important as scripture for Roman Catholicism.
There are lots of files in the Boston Police Department regarding the "Oral Tradition" of the Roman Catholic Church

Try it again, point by point.

I ceded that if you ignore evidence regarding the construction of the gospels, you're "right" that Jesus ascribed divinity to himself in some scattered sayings in the synoptics.

I also demonstrated that Jesus pretty much denies doing so in Luke - in the very sayings you hold up erroneously as proof that he does make the claim.

I gave you room to get out gracefully with a simple claim that you believe it's all truth verbatim without questions of authorship/authenticity, since you've shown yourself somewhat lacking in the historical critical department.

The historical Jesus almost certainly never claimed himself to be God -- or else when a crowd accuses him of that blasphemy, he would have said "I said that, yes," not "you have said so."

Unless he proclaims his divinity and then takes it back when people might throw rocks at him -- in which case, I'm not sure exactly why the author chooses to record the scene.

So of course I understand that Jesus was simply a man, and of course I do not "believe" in the "revelation" of the Greek bible. Not only am I a Jew, but I think that if you make a claim, it's on you to prove it. There's no proof that Jesus is anything other than a man, or that he proclaimed himself so. There is abundant proof that fairly early on, Christianity comported itself to pagan traditions, including as regards dietary laws and circumcision, certainly treated as core practices in the first century. I think it very likely that Christianity comported itself to pagan trinitarianism in the same spirit, and for that, you need Jesus saying he's God -- but note the wiggle room that peeks through when there is popular memory of his "your words not mine" penchant.

The "big secret" throughout the synoptics is that Jesus is the messiah, not that he is God. John's a historical mish-mash of second- or third-hand recollections, as you well know, along with some gnostic tendencies -- such as his words "it is accomplished" when he dies, and strong clues that John originally did not originally conclude with a resurrection scene.

I've been clear that I take the same approach to the Hebrew bible, and have chosen to believe core tenets. That being the case, I am also quite sure that it was composed over the course of a long history (far longer than the case of Christianity, of course,) responding to far different historical forces (for example the need to incorporate the northern and southern traditions, and the superimposition of different layers of editing onto the earliest oral traditions.

What's revealed over that history can fit your little template of "revelation" if you like. But it has the benefit of being most closely identifiable with truth. And as discomforting as it may seem to you, the truth is as much a question as an answer. Life is about answering it -- each his own way.

So, you've been fed a ready-made sack lunch that somebody told you was the truth, you swallowed it all, and you start from there. I continue to search and to build my belief from the building blocks bequeathed to me. We can both snipe at one word (as you have done here) or we can have an adult conversation.

Try again, if you're up to it.

PFnV

I ceded that if you ignore evidence regarding the construction of the gospels, you're "right" that Jesus ascribed divinity to himself in some scattered sayings in the synoptics.

I also demonstrated that Jesus pretty much denies doing so in Luke - in the very sayings you hold up erroneously as proof that he does make the claim.

The historical Jesus almost certainly never claimed himself to be God -- or else when a crowd accuses him of that blasphemy, he would have said "I said that, yes," not "you have said so."

Unless he proclaims his divinity and then takes it back when people might throw rocks at him -- in which case, I'm not sure exactly why the author chooses to record the scene.

So of course I understand that Jesus was simply a man, and of course I do not "believe" in the "revelation" of the Greek bible. Not only am I a Jew, but I think that if you make a claim, it's on you to prove it. There's no proof that Jesus is anything other than a man, or that he proclaimed himself so. There is abundant proof that fairly early on, Christianity comported itself to pagan traditions, including as regards dietary laws and circumcision, certainly treated as core practices in the first century. I think it very likely that Christianity comported itself to pagan trinitarianism in the same spirit, and for that, you need Jesus saying he's God -- but note the wiggle room that peeks through when there is popular memory of his "your words not mine" penchant.

The "big secret" throughout the synoptics is that Jesus is the messiah, not that he is God. John's a historical mish-mash of second- or third-hand recollections, as you well know, along with some gnostic tendencies -- such as his words "it is accomplished" when he dies, and strong clues that John originally did not originally conclude with a resurrection scene.

What's revealed over that history can fit your little template of "revelation" if you like. But it has the benefit of being most closely identifiable with truth. And as discomforting as it may seem to you, the truth is as much a question as an answer. Life is about answering it -- each his own way.

So, you've been fed a ready-made sack lunch that somebody told you was the truth, you swallowed it all, and you start from there. I continue to search and to build my belief from the building blocks bequeathed to me. We can both snipe at one word (as you have done here) or we can have an adult conversation.

Try again, if you're up to it.

PFnV

First off, there is evidence that Jesus proclaimed himself as God. You try very hard to dismiss the evidence outlined in the synoptics as well as the Gospel of John. Of course you try to degrade the Gospel John because it clearly demonstrates that Jesus proclaimed his own divnity. So why is John a "second hand" recollection (rather than from John himself)? Well, because it claims that Jesus is God, of course....lol.

The problem is that from the 3rd century to the 18th century no one...and I repeat.....no one......questioned that the Gospel of John was written by John.

"If we except the heretics mentioned by Irenaeus (Against Heresies III.11.9) and Epiphanius (Haer., li, 3), the authenticity of the Fourth Gospel was scarcely ever seriously questioned until the end of the eighteenth century. Evanson (1792) and Bretschneider (1820) were the first to run counter to tradition in the question of the authorship, and, since David Friedrich Strauss (1834-40) adopted Bretschneider's views and the members of the Tübingen School, in the wake of Ferdinand Christian Baur, denied the authenticity of this Gospel, the majority of the critics outside the Catholic Church have denied that the Fourth Gospel was authentic. On the admission of many critics, their chief reason lies in the fact that John has too clearly and emphatically made the true Divinity of the Redeemer, in the strict metaphysical sense, the centre of his narrative. However, even Harnack has had to admit that, though denying the authenticity of the Fourth Gospel, he has sought in vain for any satisfactory solution of the Johannine problem: "Again and again have I attempted to solve the problem with various possible theories, but they led me into still greater difficulties, and even developed into contradictions." ("Gesch. der altchristl. Lit.", I, pt. ii, Leipzig, 1897, p. 678.)

A short examination of the arguments bearing on the solution of the problem of the authorship of the Fourth Gospel will enable the reader to form an independent judgment.

Direct historical proof

If, as is demanded by the character of the historical question, we first consult the historical testimony of the past, we discover the universally admitted fact that, from the eighteenth century back to at least the third, the Apostle John was accepted without question as the author of the Fourth Gospel. In the examination of evidence therefore, we may begin with the third century, and thence proceed back to the time of the Apostles.

The ancient manuscripts and translations of the Gospel constitute the first group of evidence. In the titles, tables of contents, signatures, which are usually added to the text of the separate Gospels, John is in every case and without the faintest indication of doubt named as the author of this Gospel. The earliest of the extant manuscripts, it is true, do not date back beyond the middle of the fourth century, but the perfect unanimity of all the codices proves to every critic that the prototypes of these manuscripts, at a much earlier date, must have contained the same indications of authorship. Similar is the testimony of the Gospel translations, of which the Syrian, Coptic, and Old Latin extend back in their earliest forms to the second century.

The evidence given by the early ecclesiastical authors, whose reference to questions of authorship is but incidental, agrees with that of the above mentioned sources. St. Dionysius of Alexandria (264-5), it is true, sought for a different author for the Apocalypse, owing to the special difficulties which were being then urged by the Millennarianists in Egypt; but he always took for granted as an undoubted fact that the Apostle John was the author of the Fourth Gospel. Equally clear is the testimony of Origen (d. 254). He knew from the tradition of the Church that John was the last of the Evangelists to compose his Gospel (Eusebius, Church History VI.25.6), and at least a great portion of his commentary on the Gospel of St. John, in which he everywhere makes clear his conviction of the Apostolic origin of the work has come down to us. Origen's teacher, Clement of Alexandria (d. before 215-6), relates as "the tradition of the old presbyters", that the Apostle John, the last of the Evangelists, "filled with the Holy Ghost, had written a spiritual Gospel" (Eusebius, op. cit., VI, xiv, 7).

Of still greater importance is the testimony of St. Irenæus, Bishop of Lyons (d. about 202), linked immediately with the Apostolic Age as he is, through his teacher Polycarp, the disciple of the Apostle John. The native country of Irenaeus (Asia Minor) and the scene of his subsequent ministry (Gaul) render him a witness of the Faith in both the Eastern and the Western Church. He cites in his writings at least one hundred verses from the Fourth Gospel, often with the remark, "as John, the disciple of the Lord, says". In speaking of the composition of the Four Gospels, he says of the last: "Later John, the disciple of the Lord who rested on His breast, also wrote a Gospel, while he was residing at Ephesus in Asia" (Adv. Haer., III, i, n. 2). As here, so also in the other texts it is clear that by "John, the disciple of the Lord," he means none other than the Apostle John.

We find that the same conviction concerning the authorship of the Fourth Gospel is expressed at greater length in the Roman Church, about 170, by the writer of the Muratorian Fragment (lines 9-34). Bishop Theophilus of Antioch in Syria (before 181) also cites the beginning of the Fourth Gospel as the words of John (Ad Autolycum, II, xxii). Finally, according to the testimony of a Vatican manuscript (Codex Regin Sueci seu Alexandrinus, 14), Bishop Papias of Hierapolis in Phrygia, an immediate disciple of the Apostle John, included in his great exegetical work an account of the composition of the Gospel by St. John during which he had been employed as scribe by the Apostle.

It is scarcely necessary to repeat that, in the passages referred to, Papias and the other ancient writers have in mind but one John, namely the Apostle and Evangelist, and not some other Presbyter John, to be distinguished from the Apostle."

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Gospel of Saint John

So no, I do not accept that John is a "second hand recollection". John is quite clear that Jesus proclaimed his divinity.

Again.....you also ignore the entire oral tradition of the church. How can you ignore that even as early as the 1st century we see the use of the Trinitarian baptismal formula?

You go on to say that, "I think it very likely that Christianity comported itself to pagan trinitarianism in the same spirit". But again, where is your proof?
I have challenged you a number of times on this and you have not once provided any evidence outside of "similarities" that you readily admit do not prove borrowing.

Ulitmately, that is the bottom line. Your argument was about Rome and her influence over Catholic teaching. You have failed to provide any proof whatsoever to demonstrate that Rome influenced the church to contradict teachings from its deposit of faith.

If you're up to it, try again with another doctrine. Any doctrine.

Well, if you found it compelling then it must be absolute truth.

We have no way of knowing the truth of things that happened 2,000 years ago.

It is all speculation but at least I do not have to sell my mind to Satan by believing in fantasy, miracles and magic while adoring a genocidal son murdering God.

Regards
DL

I'll set out a few points here, and a couple of questions -

1 - Never occurred to me to call RI, RI P. Ouch. I'm not following suit, but funny.

2 - RI did not spring into action quoting scripture until I goaded him to. In the interest of accuracy, his source material is almost always in defense of the Catholic Church, not the Christian or Jewish scriptures. That is to say, he brings in scripture only to build the bridge to his own Church's teachings, pretty much in self-defense.

3 - I (predictably) disagree with his main point, that his Church teaches the universal holy incontrovertible one truth.

4 - I (predictably) disagree with your "truth" about the "true" name of God. I understand where it comes from, as I understand where RI's orthodoxy (and the back and forth we've had about it) comes from. But it's really just name-calling. It seems like you've telegraphed a really low opinion of the God of the Hebrew bible, as well as the figure adopted by orthodox Christians. I'd like to hear more about what you do believe, and less of the easy but less productive path. Again, just a request for civility. Without it, while I think we would have some common views, I'll probably end up completely at war over the dumb things -- and come on: namecalling is the dumb things. (/soapbox.) I'm not telling you what to do. It's an appeal so that this can be a productive conversation.

Questions, about your own point of view:

5 - I am puzzled with your characterization of opponents as "Theists," coupled with your characterization of yourself as a gnostic Christian. I take it we're not talking Marcion's gnostic Christianity here -- not that he's the only one to choose from :) I'd be interested in hearing your version of christian gnosticism here.

6 - (related) Do you believe in God? It's pretty clear you take a dim view of the God of scripture; to me, the Hebrew bible records the evolution of a people toward social justice, probably the most heavily emphasized point. The God of scripture who is nagging me about my diet and urging me to commit genocide, I'm not so fond of. The God of scripture called the "still small voice" urging me to do right, who tells me to do the right thing as regards the poor, the widow, and the orphan, I'm okay with.

7 - (also related) If so, why do you call opponents "the Theists?" If not, is your Christianity purely on the order of following a single enlightened man (or, Jesus as a prototype of the "enlightened man," such as the classic Buddhist attitude toward Siddhartha?)

My view of RI is that he is indeed quite earnest and quite doctrinaire, and does not shy away from proclaiming his church's doctrine the be-all and end-all. This is evidently what he has been taught, and he's quite steeped in his church's teachings. I think I've found several places where he's self-evidently wrong -- from my point of view -- but in keeping things only very slightly "edgy" I feel I'm learning a good deal in the process (if only about the extreme ideologues within the church, whether among the laity or the clergy.) Other than doggedly defending church teaching, however offensive -- and perhaps focusing on some more offensive bits -- he's tried in most cases to be (in relative terms) civil.

Given the ease with which a religion forum can descend into mutual accusation and recrimination (been there, believe me,) I'd like to learn about what you, personally believe, as well as what you don't believe. It's fine to describe the character of the God in the Hebrew bible, as you see it. But, for example, I try to exercise restraint when talking about the anti-semitism that I perceive in he Greek bible, and its historical results; I know I won't go very far if that is all I can see of the Christian perspective. RI hasn't jumped at the many opportunities to make that perspective the center of his debate. I don't know about him, but I certainly haven't gone on a tear about what terrible doctrines have been taught in the name of gnosticism... and if we move to that discussion, it should certainly be treated in terms of historical happenings rather than why one guy on here hates the beliefs of the other guy on here.

Okay, long post, long appeal.

Hope you and I can get along, hope you and RI can get along. Hope I don't have to read about the son-murdering genocidal maniac anymore... despite the fact that I'm painfully aware of the worst passages of the Hebrew bible, and despite the fact that I'm anything but a literalist.

All of this adds up to: Enough about me, let's talk about you. Or more like, enough about my God, let's talk about what you believe.

Share, buddy. That ought to be enough to stir the pot in and of itself.

Always pleased to chat about my beliefs.

Why I call myself as Gnostic Christian.

The Godhead I know in a nutshell.
I was a skeptic till the age of 39.
I then had an apotheosis and later branded myself an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian. Gnostic Christian because I exemplify this quote from William Blake.

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read'st black where I read white.”

This refers to how Gnostics tend to reverse, for moral reasons, what Christians see in the Bible. We tend to recognize the evil ways of O T God where literal Christians will see God’s killing as good. Christians are sheep where Gnostic Christians are goats.
This is perhaps why we see the use of a Jesus scapegoat as immoral, while theists like to make Jesus their beast of burden. An immoral position.

During my apotheosis, something that only lasted 5 or 6 seconds, the only things of note to happen was that my paradigm of reality was confirmed and I was chastised to think more demographically. What I found was what I call a cosmic consciousness. Not a new term but one that is a close but not exact fit.

I recognize that I have no proof. That is always the way with apotheosis.
This is also why I prefer to stick to issues of morality because no one has yet been able to prove that God is real and I have no more proof than they for the cosmic consciousness.

The cosmic consciousness is not a miracle working God. He does not interfere with us save when one of us finds it. Not a common thing from what I can see. It is a part of nature and our next evolutionary step.

I tend to have more in common with atheists who ignore what they see as my delusion because our morals are basically identical. Theist tend not to like me much as I have no respect for literalists and fundamentals and think that most Christians have tribal mentalities and poor morals.

I am rather between a rock and a hard place but this I cannot help.

I am happy to be questioned on what I believe but whether or not God exists is basically irrelevant to this world for all that he does not do, and I prefer to thrash out moral issues that can actually find an end point. The search for God is never ending when you are of the Gnostic persuasion. My apotheosis basically says that I am to discard whatever God I found, God as a set of rules that is, not idol worship it but instead, raise my bar and seek further.

My apotheosis also showed me that God has no need for love, adoration or obedience. He has no needs. Man has dominion here on earth and is to be and is the supreme being.

========

Why I have my attitude towards Christianity.

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists as well as those who do not believe. They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief or not. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic are evil.

Google Religulous.

They also do much harm to their own.

Google --- African witches and Jesus.

Google ---- Jesus Camp.

Google. Death to Gays.

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

I do recognize that Christians will not like that I truthfully call bible God a genocidal son murderer.

That is too bad for them not liking the truth but it is undeniable that that O T bible God id a prick and I do not mind telling the truth.

I do appreciate where politically correct posters like you do not use such language but that does not make the words I use incorrect.

Regards
DL

Are Catholics really interested in what their Pope says?
Do they really believe that a man can speak for God?

I doubt it.

Regards
DL

Always pleased to chat about my beliefs.

Why I call myself as Gnostic Christian.

The Godhead I know in a nutshell.
I was a skeptic till the age of 39.
I then had an apotheosis and later branded myself an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian. Gnostic Christian because I exemplify this quote from William Blake.

“Both read the Bible day and night, But thou read'st black where I read white.”

This refers to how Gnostics tend to reverse, for moral reasons, what Christians see in the Bible. We tend to recognize the evil ways of O T God where literal Christians will see God’s killing as good. Christians are sheep where Gnostic Christians are goats.

I'm wondering whether you mean you had an epiphany or whether you meant to say apotheosis. Seriously, look them up and let me know.

So in historical gnosticism, the God of the bible is sometimes considered a demiurge, not the "real" God, just a petty little mini-God patting himself on the back because he created and runs a measly universe. The "hidden" God is the good one, the demiurge more of a petulant child, or in some case, just plain evil.

Are you pointing back to this doctrine?

Side-track: Interestingly enough, there is a lot of gnosticism woven into kabbalah, but it's never expressed to its full potential. While accepting that Ein Sof is inexpressible and far removed from the God of the bible, the God of the bible remains the God of worship, not some petulant child -- and kabbalists by and large take great pains to marry their mysticism with tradition, to color within the lines, as it were.

This is perhaps why we see the use of a Jesus scapegoat as immoral, while theists like to make Jesus their beast of burden. An immoral position.

While I agree that lots of events in the bible are problematic -- to me the biggest sticking point is the genocide prior to the Israelites taking possession of the land -- I don't see the passion as one of them.

Taking Christian theology for what it is, this is (more or less) the Godhead splitting himself into father and son, with a true father/son relationship. God in the Christian crucifixion story grieves for his son, and it hurts him to accept his martyrdom. God in the son rule sacrifices himself because of his love for mankind.

As they tell it, it's actually quite noble.

During my apotheosis, something that only lasted 5 or 6 seconds, the only things of note to happen was that my paradigm of reality was confirmed and I was chastised to think more demographically. What I found was what I call a cosmic consciousness. Not a new term but one that is a close but not exact fit.

I'm really thinking it's "epiphany" you want here. You don't have to say any more about this experience -- and after all, no matter how you tell you'll get it wrong. Not you personally. Anybody.

I recognize that I have no proof.... no one has yet been able to prove that God is real and I have no more proof than they for the cosmic consciousness.

Same story. I don't fool myself that what I hold dearest is in any way someone else's truth. It is mine, and for me it is Truth with a capital "T." I also recognize, however, that if there's a oneness uniting us -- and not just us, but the universe in general -- that oneness hides behind the multiplicity of our selves. And each self will hold a truth, to that person, a Truth. Each of those truths expresses at least some fragmentary connection to the greater Truth. So I can gladly reject this or that doctrine for myself, but I try not to go around saying "I know the Truth, and you ain't got it."

The cosmic consciousness is not a miracle working God. He does not interfere with us save when one of us finds it. Not a common thing from what I can see. It is a part of nature and our next evolutionary step.

Eh, sounds like a bit younger viewpoint, particularly the optimism about the evolutionary step. I'd go on with a counter, but there's more in common here than in dispute.

I tend to have more in common with atheists who ignore what they see as my delusion because our morals are basically identical. Theist tend not to like me much as I have no respect for literalists and fundamentals and think that most Christians have tribal mentalities and poor morals.

I am rather between a rock and a hard place but this I cannot help.

I'd start by looking in a mirror. You're defining yourself by opposition, something I'm plenty familiar with by experience. While plenty of fundamentalists' more objectionable actions have be directed toward me, I've also seen some very genuine and laudable behavior among them that encapsulates my moral view of the universe -- those that are "walking the walk." Everybody is somebody else's tribalist.

I am happy to be questioned on what I believe but whether or not God exists is basically irrelevant to this world for all that he does not do, and I prefer to thrash out moral issues that can actually find an end point. The search for God is never ending when you are of the Gnostic persuasion. My apotheosis basically says that I am to discard whatever God I found, God as a set of rules that is, not idol worship it but instead, raise my bar and seek further.

Okay, still looking, check. From my point of view we're meant to "wrestle with God," translation, it ain't easy. Think, seek, find, rinse, repeat. I'm also a fan of the perspective that doing right trumps believing the right thing about God... and the standard personal God to me can't be the end of the search.

My apotheosis also showed me that God has no need for love, adoration or obedience. He has no needs. Man has dominion here on earth and is to be and is the supreme being.

Taking "apotheosis" to mean a moment of personal revelation, it's hardly up for discussion. My little universe map works differently. But what's interesting is that you've chosen personal revelation as the broad lawgiver for the remainder of life.

What happens if through thought and reflection you come to a conclusion contrary to your personal revelation?

It is my view that all literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists as well as those who do not believe.

Reverse that statement. Read it out loud. Who do you sound like?

They all hurt their parent religions and everyone else who has a belief or not. They make us all into laughing stocks and should rethink their position. There is a Godhead but not the God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution. Beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic are evil.

Google Religulous.

Saw Religulous. I found it entertaining enough, but Maher's just snide more than insightful in a lot of it. Good material, but the deeper he gets into it, the worse the film is. The end is nigh insufferable, a smug warning that the world will end if people continue to go to church (or temple, or mosque.) A lot of clever stuff, but ultimately, it's just a statement of opposition accompanied by a smugness: Look how cool I am, I don't believe this ****.

They also do much harm to their own.

Google --- African witches and Jesus.

Google ---- Jesus Camp.

Google. Death to Gays.

Yeah, or I can call my brother or sister and walk through the experiences of our own parents, or for that matter some of our own. That'll remove the scales from your eyes too. Honest to God, there's nothing more annoying than hearing from some guy on a spiritual quest "discovering" the bad things done in the name of Christianity. Believe me, I've got that side down pat. (Not from within a Christian family, from within a Jewish one.)

For evil to grow my friends, all good people need do is nothing.
Fight them when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

What exactly are you fighting, other than the urge to attribute the quote? Your point of view is that Christianity is the nexus of all evil? Or isn't the truth that Christianity is just the largest of several world religions, in all of whose names evil has been done? And isn't the same true of atheism? For that matter, I am certain great evil has been done in the name of gnosticism, but in the historical dearth of power, they've been able to manage -- and record -- much less.

I do recognize that Christians will not like that I truthfully call bible God a genocidal son murderer.

Yeah I think Dale Carnegie would be unimpressed.

That is too bad for them not liking the truth but it is undeniable that that O T bible God id a prick and I do not mind telling the truth.

This is not a departure from narrow-minded religious bigotry. It is only its mirror-image.

I do appreciate where politically correct posters like you do not use such language but that does not make the words I use incorrect.

Regards
DL

Really charged language and combative stances don't lend themselves to productive discussion, whatever the source. But there's more going on here.

If your revelation calls you to spew forth this particular encapsulation (no compromise! storm the battlements!) you've done nothing but take up the cross by other means -- "take up the cross" in the crusader sense.

I've been critical, but my intent is to ask whether you've reflected on the aspects of your point of view that most closely mimic your opposite numbers among the Christians you, and I, would find least worthy of imitation.

Oh, and as a "Theist" with an understanding of the role of history in scripture, I think of the (layered) God of the Bible as a continuum of religious and national consciousness from the first days of a people onward. Is there worth there as well as dross? I continue to think so.

PFnV

I could not have asked or paid for a better reply.
You do my work for me in showing what belief in fantasy, miracles and magic will get you in terms of attitude and lack of morals.

Regards
DL

::shrug:: Very little to discuss, evidently. If you bother to read the post, I'd be interested in a reply. There's no appeal to magic or miracles there, unless we count you turning watery content into whine.

PFnV

::shrug:: Very little to discuss, evidently. If you bother to read the post, I'd be interested in a reply. There's no appeal to magic or miracles there, unless we count you turning watery content into whine.

PFnV

Questions are discussed.

The only one I saw was a stupid one.

Regards
DL

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft