PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Team Need: Defensive Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
More than any single position or skill, the Pats need a strong leader on D. Rodney and Tedy are the guys who have been playing that role, in the past, but with Rodney having trouble getting on the field, and Tedy eyeing the exits, the Pats need a charismatic leader who can run the team.

This is an area where losing McGinest, TJ, Phifer and Milloy is underappreciated.

The young stars on D are Seymour, Warren, Wilson, Samuel, Sanders, Colvin and Vrabel. But none of those guys are the type of personality that can light a fire under the entire unit-- they're all lunchpail guys.

The true value of Junior Seau on the team is entirely in this dimension. In addition to smart and relaible play, he's a spark in the lockerroom. Unfortunately, Junior isn't long for the NFL either.

So, when I see mock drafts with the Pats spending #24 on Jarvis Moss or Darrell Revis, I think the drafters have missed what the team truly needs. BB will be looking for strong leadership, paried with talent. A Jonathan Vilma or Deangello Hall prospect: a true football professional, that can solidify the enture unit. A magnetic personality that can become the cornerstone of the future for the D. Great measurables pale in comparison.

So, with every scout dropping Posluszny down their board, I'm still very bullish on his fit for the Pats. The fact that he hurt himself last year, and had a so-called "off" senior year, are nothing to me at all in comparison to watching him work the sidelines, getting his teammates focused on what needs to be done.

My ideal draft would start something like this:

1(24) LB Paul Posluszny
1(28) SS Michael Griffin
2(60) RB Brian Leonard
3(91) LB Prescott Burgess

All leaders on their teams with top intangibles.

Couldn't agree more with the need you identified. Siler of Florida and Harris of Michigan seem like the Type A personalities the team needs. Even Willis, whom I'm not sure is suited to the 3-4, has charisma that can galvanize a defense. They are all charismatic, nasty junk yard dogs who enjoy on-field violence and whose presence can strike fear in the opponent. At safety I like Gattis, a bit of a psycho, hyperactive type who can energize the D and is not timid about the borderline "helmet to helmet" hits that Rodney made a living on for years.

Burgess is a smart efficient player who has the potential to become an ideal Will in the 3-4; but he is more of a quiet, sidekick type than a "leader" per se. Griffin does not seem to have that persona either. As far as Posluzny goes... I seem to differ with alot of posters here. He just didn't seem like a dynamic player in the games I watched (ND, Ohio State, Michigan). I missed the bowl game, so maybe he got healthier, as many report. I am curious to see how Penn State's Tim Shaw performs at the combine. He was very impressive.

1(24) LB Paul Posluszny
1(28) SS Michael Griffin
2(60) RB Brian Leonard

Cogent piece, of course.

I'll be watching those names especially.

1(24) LB Paul Posluszny
1(28) SS Michael Griffin
2(60) RB Brian Leonard
An interesting draft premise, though Leonard is the only one of your choices whom I see leading his team with the fire you're looking to draft. I think you sell Vrabel and Seymour short, not to mention Ty's explosion in performance this season.

Cogent piece, of course.

I'll be watching those names especially.

Heh Heh...every time I see your new handle I'm reminded of "Psycho Dad" from Married with Children.

Psycho Dad...Psycho Dad
Loves his son.....
but he has a gun.....
shot his wife cause she weighed a ton....
Psycho Dad...Psycho Dad....

1(24) LB Paul Posluszny
1(28) SS Michael Griffin
2(60) RB Brian Leonard

You know volumes more about college players than I, so I accept you selections. I also agree with your assesment about D leadership. My question is that with the report by Reiss that Jackson has a torn ACL how does this affect your thinking to deal with this recever problem in the draft?
Thank You

Last edited:
My question is that with the report by Reiss that Jackson has a torn ACL how does this affect your thinking to deal with this recever problem in the draft?
I move a WR, if there's value of course, into where Leonard, who we don't need anyway, currently sits.

Other than that, I have no problem with Rook's picks, although as I've said before, I'll believe we'll draft two Day One LB when I see it - not saying it can't happen but just that I won't believe it until it happens.

I move a WR, if there's value of course, into where Leonard, who we don't need anyway, currently sits.

Uh, maybe not (need) this year but the time is at hand for Dillon, Pass and Faulk. Your dismissal of him is overstated.

I'm not sure I trust drafting a WR early......

I've seen as many as eight different WRs listed as first round talent (including the guy across from Bowe and the guy across from Ginn). I'm sure there's going to be first round value there. I also think there'll be first round value at corner as well. The question is, will there be someone available at LB or DL or TE (etc) that would cause BB to pass on the value/need positions of corner and wideout in the first round.

I don't the the Jackson injury will have affect on drafting strategy. He didn't play a role last year, if there was need there prior to the injury, there's need after.

I don't the the Jackson injury will have affect on drafting strategy. He didn't play a role last year, if there was need there prior to the injury, there's need after.

Well, I'm sure this will get buried -- but I'll try anyway. :)

The main problem with the passing game wasn't the progress of Jackson. It was the introduction of new WRs (Caldwell and Gaffney) to the offense. The repore between WRs and QB slowly developed as the season progressed, but not without it's obvious frustrations exhibited by new papa. That scenario will not be duplicated this season with the aforementioned two now having the experience. The relationship between Brady and Troy can be accomplished blindfolded -- so they're a non-issue. But what may be lacking is a legitimate deep threat. Although both Caldwell and Gaffney can run the deep routes, are they better suited for the intermediate routes while Troy handles the short area?

Fact: Two second round WRs were added to the roster in recent drafts, and both had the ability to stretch the field. Bethel and Jackson were considered 4.3-type receivers, and if either one developed, each could have been a legitimate deep threat. Question is, how important is it to have a stretch-the-field ability from the WR corps, in terms of the overall offense -- according to Belichick, the OC, and Brady?

Now, most of us agree that a rookie WR will take time to develop overall, and in all likelihood not lead the team in receptions or compete for the #1 go-to spot his first year. But is it too much to expect, if that rookie receives lots of reps during TC and pre-season, and remains healthy, that he may be able to at least stretch the field throughout the season?

Whatever happens, I'm very confident we'll add one WR to the corps. And whoever we do add, I highly doubt we'll be adding one of the slower possession-type receivers to the roster. JMO, but I'd look more toward a new speedy threat (if we want more speed than Caldwell and Gaffney offer), or a quick-footed Branch-type receiver who can cut on a dime. Ability to quickly grasp playbook welcomed...:rocker:

I think the Pats have more than enough leaders on defense and I'm not sure a magnetic personality would work in the Pats locker room. And while I think leadership is a great intangible quality, playmaking ability is a vital tangible quality.

Remember this defense finished in the top 5 in pionts allowed and this team came within a Reche Caldwell drop or two or three of the super bowl.

IF Poslunzny was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier, I would be screaming that we should trade up for him, But I'm not ruling out the possibility of him spending a year or two in the system, bulking up to 245-250 lbs. and eventually moving into Bruschi's spot, especially if his instincts are legitimate.
But do I really want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy that projects one or more years down the road, or do I want a guy that fits now and projects to be even better down the road. (ie: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Watson and Maroney)

Revis, Hall and Hughes are the only CB's in this draft with NFL ready ball skills. Unfortunately two of them might not have NFL speed. For some teams that is a dealbreaker, but not necessarily for our team. A guy like Revis can step in and play nickel or dime from day 1. And over the course of the year, he can grow. We don't have to wait for him to get stronger or put on muscle mass.

or do I want a guy that fits now and projects to be even better down the road. (ie: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Watson and Maroney)

That's the way I see it. I'm under the impression that with the salary cap/free agency system in place, a first round (non-QB) pick needs to be able to contribute from Go.

Now, new fatherhood duties prevented me from seeing as much college ball as I would have liked, but I'd like to see some combination of Houston, Meacham, Spencer, and Willis with the two picks.

None of them are going to be immediate starters, but I feel they can all contribute in sub-packages (first three) or special teams (Willis, who will be a transition project, but could be dominant Al Wilson-type) from Day 1.

O.J. -- what's your critique on Houston? He and Hughes are my favorite CBs coming into the combine.

I'm fortunate in some ways because after I left FOX sports, I started my own sports production company and we have contracts to produce college football games every weekend. (Mostly regional stuff)

I got to do a few Arkansas games and I am not a big fan of Houston. Besides the utter lack of ball skills the thing that really stands out is his offensive personality. However in retrospect it could be just a personal thing with me and BB may see it differently.

Meanwhile I really like the Arkansas OT Ugoh. Very strong, road grader delux. Not the best feet and probably could only run under 5.25 if there was a twinkie stand on the corner he needed to get to, but I really liked him as a run blocker.

That's the way I see it. I'm under the impression that with the salary cap/free agency system in place, a first round (non-QB) pick needs to be able to contribute from Go.

As much as it would be nice for a first rounder to contribute from the outset, with the new CBA in place (directly aimed at taking the Pats down a peg or two, BTW) we have extra years to get that development out of the first rounders. Hence I dont see the team trading out of the first anymore. The really toxic rounds have become 2 and 3. If a second rounder is slow to develop, and takes a full season or more, he's a bust to us! Not that he wont be good someday, but in all likelyhood we will see 4 seasons from the kid, max, with many leaving after 3. So if we lose 1 to development, get one ok to solid second year, and a very good third, hes an RFA and we gotta tender the kid to bring him back for the 4th, his contract year, before we say see ya to UFA. Bring back 6 year rookie contracts!:D

That said, I would be more apt to take a kid on potential in the first than the second or third rounds.

As much as it would be nice for a first rounder to contribute from the outset, with the new CBA in place (directly aimed at taking the Pats down a peg or two, BTW) we have extra years to get that development out of the first rounders. Hence I dont see the team trading out of the first anymore. The really toxic rounds have become 2 and 3. If a second rounder is slow to develop, and takes a full season or more, he's a bust to us! Not that he wont be good someday, but in all likelyhood we will see 4 seasons from the kid, max, with many leaving after 3. So if we lose 1 to development, get one ok to solid second year, and a very good third, hes an RFA and we gotta tender the kid to bring him back for the 4th, his contract year, before we say see ya to UFA. Bring back 6 year rookie contracts!:D

That said, I would be more apt to take a kid on potential in the first than the second or third rounds.

Good points, but I think you're underestimating our ability to re-sign rookies we feel will contribute to the team for the right price. You use Jackson a lot an an example, if Jackson is a stud the last couple years of his contract, I bet there's a good chance of us extending him - just as we were going to extend Branch before he decided to be a selfish bytch who wanted the last year of his contract ripped up. So, there's still some value in taking a guy based on potential in Round 2. However, I do agree with your sentiment in general, that the new CBA does change the way we'll draft and increases the value of 1st rounders to us. No way we trade one of those 1st rounders down to get more 2 & 3, IMO.

Would just like to point out the advantage of signing Asalius Thomas re: the draft. Here's a guy who has it all, talentwise as a 3-4 LB, with at least 3 Pro-Bowl quality years in front of him. To top it off, he's been playing 2nd fiddle to Ray-Ray for the bulk of his career. His leadership potential may well be ready to blossom. His signing would also free up the first round of the draft for CB, WR, or S. It would also take the pressure off the need to sign Asante, letting him play out his franchise season while his replacement develops, if he doesn't agree to a cap-reasonable contract.

I've already voiced my apprehension abour Revis' inexperience. This would be a way to accomodate him. And, if Asante decides to go the Branch route, which I doubt, and sit out or refuse to sign the franchise offer, we'll get to see if Revis is as advertised. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th rated CB's have more experience in terms of tackles, PD's and INTs.

Last edited:
You use Jackson a lot an an example,

Didn't mention him here once.

if Jackson is a stud the last couple years of his contract, I bet there's a good chance of us extending him

Actually, to adress CJ directly, this injury actually may allow us to get some of that development in "for free" so to speak. It should make it much easier to get an extension done with the kid, should he begin to pan out as you hope. Had he progressed quickly, the chances were slim.
So, there's still some value in taking a guy based on potential in Round 2. However, I do agree with your sentiment in general, that the new CBA does change the way we'll draft and increases the value of 1st rounders to us. No way we trade one of those 1st rounders down to get more 2 & 3, IMO.

Colvin/Harrison/Bruschi seem to be the leaders of our D

i would like a guy like Ray Lewis though :) or DAWKINS

Last edited:
I think the Pats have more than enough leaders on defense and I'm not sure a magnetic personality would work in the Pats locker room. And while I think leadership is a great intangible quality, playmaking ability is a vital tangible quality.

Remember this defense finished in the top 5 in pionts allowed and this team came within a Reche Caldwell drop or two or three of the super bowl.

IF Poslunzny was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs. heavier, I would be screaming that we should trade up for him, But I'm not ruling out the possibility of him spending a year or two in the system, bulking up to 245-250 lbs. and eventually moving into Bruschi's spot, especially if his instincts are legitimate.
But do I really want to spend a 1st round pick on a guy that projects one or more years down the road, or do I want a guy that fits now and projects to be even better down the road. (ie: Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Watson and Maroney)

Revis, Hall and Hughes are the only CB's in this draft with NFL ready ball skills. Unfortunately two of them might not have NFL speed. For some teams that is a dealbreaker, but not necessarily for our team. A guy like Revis can step in and play nickel or dime from day 1. And over the course of the year, he can grow. We don't have to wait for him to get stronger or put on muscle mass.

One thing Poz will do until he starts is play special teams. He was on the PSU punt team. And, I'm sure he would have covered kicks if asked. I've always thought he was a better fit in the 4-3 as a weakside olb. But, if BB thinks he can get up to 245-250 in a year. He'd be big enough to play in our system. Will be fun watching the draft unfold this year. PSU will have some interesting guys to watch; Levi Brown,Poz and T.Hunt. Watch for Tim Shaw at combine this week. They have him running a 4.65 forty. Some think he runs sub 4.5. Might be a great nickel linebacker. Can blitz and with some improved technique cover backs out of the backfield. Doesn't have the size to be an everydown lb. But, a guy like that has those skills would have helped our defense get off of the field on 3rd down.

The thing that has defined all 3 Superbowls is that each team had someone who was jst downright nasty and set the tempo. These were players who were just angry the entire game and it rubbed off on the rest of the defense.

1st SB- Bryan Cox
2nd SB- Rodney
3rd SB- Rodney

if Meriweather can be controlled he might fit that billing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST