DB Larry Anam (5-11, 197) -- Boston College
LB Kyle Bissinger (6-3, 255) -- Alabama-Birmingham
QB Matt Gutierrez (6-4, 231) -- Idaho State
TE Jake Nordin (6-3, 262) -- Northern Illinois
RB Quinton Smith (5-11, 195) -- Rice
LB Justin Warren (6-3, 237) -- Texas A&M
DL Zach West (6-5, 295) -- Texas-El Paso

Re: Patriots "OFFICALLY" Sign Seven UDRFA

Competition for the practice squad will be fierce.

Kyle Bissinger's pro day:

6'3", 256
4.58/2.66/1.56

Wow. Those are certainly numbers that will get an unknown from a small school a tryout. Yeah, they're only numbers...but Mike Wright was a similar pro-day measurables phenom.

Bissinger sounds like a good one. Sure doesn't lack for confidence--comparing himself to Urlacher takes big ones.

Bissinger sounds like a good one. Sure doesn't lack for confidence--comparing himself to Urlacher takes big ones.

well the guy did have 13 tackles and 2 sacks on the season..

[/end sarcasm]

his statso n the field look bad..13 tackles and 2 sacks for a guy who compares himself to urlacher and says he has a nose for the ball?

Photo of Quinton Smith (Rice vs Texas)
06txo44run2.jpg

Kyle Bissinger Photo (Number 7, and he's chasing Mike Walker)
26592013.jpg

I give all these guys all the credit in the world for signing with the Pats. There is literally no room at the Inn for most of the 2nd day draft picks, let alone the UDFAs. I know when I looked to sign as an UDFA I went to the WORST team in the league (Denver at the time) in order to improve my chances...almost worked too...almost. :D

No Dan Robinson..WR so he may be in the works...
I really like Bissinger's attitude..he may ne one to be a practice squader and a player in a few years...he's never had good coaching according to him on D..so with GOOD coaching who knows what kind of a player he may be...like the fact he wishes to coach..Hmmm..maybe a real diamond in the rough.
Also S Poland is in for a tryout....and there may be others...

I give all these guys all the credit in the world for signing with the Pats. There is literally no room at the Inn for most of the 2nd day draft picks, let alone the UDFAs. I know when I looked to sign as an UDFA I went to the WORST team in the league (Denver at the time) in order to improve my chances...almost worked too...almost. :D

Just the opposite here ... you have UDFA's that know they will be given an honest chance to make a team. Look at the list:

Randall Gay
Stephen Neal
Shawn Mayer (cut) finished SB 38
Pierre Woods
Corey Mays
Eric Alexander
Mike Wright
Adam Vinatieri (URFA-Colts)
Lonie Paxton
Kelvin Kight
Bam Childress
Billy Yates (UDFA w/ Dolphins 04 - signed as FA by Pats in 04)
Gene Mruczkowski
and many others

All an Undrafted Rookie Free Agent wants is to show his talents and an honest opportunity to make a team or practice squad. Look at what the Patrots have done with the Practice Squad. Players don't leave their PS to sign with other teams ... why ... because they will get their opportunity and they have a chance to go to the big dance with the Patriots. If I remember correctly the PS members got voted game shares of the playoff and super bowl money as well as getting rings.

Bissinger and Smith haven't been mentioned yet.

No Daniel Robinson, I guess, either.

Bissinger and Smith haven't been mentioned yet.

No Daniel Robinson, I guess, either.
I think a few might be added by Friday..inc D.Robinson

http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bissinger_kyle00.html
Has been moved from quarterback to linebacker to defensive end since arrival at UAB ... has been plagued by injuries the past two seasons ... hoping for a healthy senior season ... redshirted in 2002, Bissinger was moved from quarterback to defensive side prior to 2003 spring practice ... was outstanding prep quarterback in metro-Atlanta area ... has added more than 40 pounds to frame since arriving at UAB.

2005: Played in eight games as backup at defensive end position ... recorded season-high three tackles in win over Jacksonville State ... also had pair of tackles in contest vs. Southern Miss ... had 1.5 tackles for loss with stops against Rice, SMU and Memphis ... had a blocked punt in victory at Troy.

2004: Missed most of the season due to injury ... played in three contests with his regular season-ending injury occurring in win at Cincinnati ... recorded three tackles against the Bearcats.

2003: Made move to defense during previous spring and made significant contribution in initial season in new role ... played in 11 games during the season initially at linebacker but later at defensive end ... finished season with 34 overall tackles, including 21 solo hits ... recovered one fumble (vs. Tulane) during the season ... also had a pair of quarterback hurries and two pass break-ups.

2002: Was redshirted and did not see any action.

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended North Cobb High School where he was standout quarterback ... passed for 1,765 yards and rushed for 971 yards as a senior ... a two-year starter at QB, he accounted for 30 touchdowns ...three-year letterman ... also was team's punter and recorded 40.0 yards per punt average ... led team to state playoffs in 2001 ... was tabbed honorable mention all-state and first-team All-Cobb County ... was selected his team's MVP ... coached by Bob Clark ... also participated in baseball and track.

PERSONAL: Born Aug. 20, 1983 ... son of Harry and Jamie Bissinger ... a communication studies major.
http://uabsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050807aab.html
UAB's Kyle Bissinger Signs As Free Agent With New England Patriots

Versatile former Blazer will report to rookie mini-camp this weekend

May 8, 2007

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ----- UAB's Kyle Bissinger, one of four senior defensive ends on last season's Blazer football team, signed a free agent deal with the New England Patriots Tuesday.

Bissinger, who was one of seven free agents to sign with the Patriots on Tuesday, is listed as a linebacker on the Patriots' web site (www.patriots.com). He and the other six free agent signees will join the nine members of New England's 2007 draft class at a rookie mini-camp this weekend at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

Bissinger, a 6-3, 255-pound native of Marietta, Ga. (North Cobb H.S.), came to UAB in 2002 as a quarterback. He was moved to linebacker the next spring during spring drills and remained on the defensive side throughout the remainder of his Blazers' career.

As a senior, he played in all 12 games and started the season opener at Oklahoma. He finished with 13 solo tackles, including three tackles for loss and two sacks.
Four Senior Defensive Ends, nice rotation. The Pats have once again signed a reserve who played behind All Conference/All American types. I see one blocked punt, his Special Teams experience will stand him in good stead while fighting for a roster spot.

I think a few might be added by Friday..inc D.Robinson
If last season is any indicator, the Pats will have as many more in for tryouts, which is what I expected for Robinson.

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended North Cobb High School where he was standout quarterback ... passed for 1,765 yards and rushed for 971 yards as a senior ... a two-year starter at QB, he accounted for 30 touchdowns ...three-year letterman ... also was team's punter and recorded 40.0 yards per punt average ...

Okay.
There's the emergency QB someone was wondering about.

Emergency punter, too.

Bissinger's drawback:
don't he long snap?

RB Quinton Smith
Pro-Day Results
Dates: 03/22/07
Height: 5101
Weight: 211
40 Yrd Dash: 4.60
20 Yrd Dash: 2.67
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 24
Vertical Jump: 35
Broad Jump: 10'0"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.42
3-Cone Drill: 7.47
- 2006 Season: Second-team All C-USA pick by the media, and a first-team pick by the Houston Chronicle after posting the sixth 1,000 yard rushing season in Rice history (1,096).
- 2005 Season: Second-team all-Conference USA selection... Winner of the George Martin Award as the Owls' most valuable player, as well as a George R. Brown Offense Award as Rice's top running back... Started all 11 games at A-back... Led the Owls with 902 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 140 attempts... Rushed for at least 100 yards in five games.
- 2004 Season: Played in eight games with five starts as a sophomore, earning his first letter... Gained 300 yards on 50 carries (6.0 average).
- 2003 Season: Played in eight games with two starts (Fresno State and Nevada, but did not letter... Rushed for 207 yards on 26 carries as a redshirt freshman... Top game was a 142-yard effort on only 13 carries at Fresno State.
- Rice Major: managerial studies/economics.
- 11/29/06 - All-Conference USA Second Team: QB Quinton Smith became the sixth Owl to rush for 1,000 yards in a season and finished with the 4th best season total (1,092) and became just the second Rice runner to top 2,500 yards in his career (2,501).

Is this the same Matt Gutierrez who went to De La Salle high school, then onto Michigan? Gotta love the unheralded QBs from the SF Bay Area who play their college ball at Michigan.

Regards,
Chris

Is this the same Matt Gutierrez who went to De La Salle high school, then onto Michigan? Gotta love the unheralded QBs from the SF Bay Area who play their college ball at Michigan.

Regards,
Chris
De La Salle unheralded?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put down the rope and step away from the smoke...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes