PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots not consistent with the WR situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Im still puzzled by this whole thing.

Last year the Pats had Branch, Givens, Brown, Dwight, and Bethel. Yet still offered Derek Mason some decent change. Then traded a 5th round pick for Andre Johnson. then when Peerless price was released they were trying to get him, same thing for peter warrick.

Even with a good recieving corp last year they were still trying to make it better.

yet this year, they dont bring back dwight, davis, givens, may lose branch, trade bethel. And seem content to go in w/ reche, troy, bam childress, and kelvin kight.

Anyone else wonder whats changed their mind from last year to this year.

R_T26 said:

Last year the Pats had Branch, Givens, Brown, Dwight, and Bethel. Yet still offered Derek Mason some decent change. Then traded a 5th round pick for Andre Johnson. then when Peerless price was released they were trying to get him, same thing for peter warrick.

Even with a good recieving corp last year they were still trying to make it better.

yet this year, they dont bring back dwight, davis, givens, may lose branch, trade bethel. And seem content to go in w/ reche, troy, bam childress, and kelvin kight.

Good God, I wish we traded a 5th rounder for Andre Johnson.

I do know that we did trade a 5th for Andre' Davis. ;)

Last edited:
I never thought of it that way. That is weird, I agree.

you make a good point

I believe the Patriots simply thought that all those WRs were not very good.

That's the best way to explain it. And quite frankly I can't blame them. I can't think of a WR out there that would have helped us. If Mason was a free agent again this year, I would have expected the Patriots to go for it again.

back in early spring a reporter was asking belichick about his offensive personnel (speciffically 4 TEs) and coach went on to rave about the lions 3 TE sets of the mid seventies and how effective they were. point being - the focus offensively this year will be BIG bodies- watson, graham, evans, dillon, thomas, mills.watch for only 4 wides to make the final cut

I think SB XXXVI showed BB that any team can win if the players are motivated and the game plan is outstanding, so BB is willing to cut it close in order to ensure that the Pats remain strong year after year. BB believes with or without Branch we're a strong enough team to compete for the SB, so if Branch is demanding too much, then BB would rather have the opportunity to ensure the team remains strong in future years. From what I've seen BB more than any other coach I've ever seen, seems genuinely content to sit on a 1, 2, or 3 point lead. He doesn't try too hard to pad the leads, unless it's early in a game. I haven't done a statistical analysis, but that's just an impression I've got from watching how the Pats win so many close ones.

R_T26 said:

I agree...the patriots fu&^ed up here. This whole thing pisses me off. I love my team but why weren't receivers on their radar....stupid ****s! wake up..the best qb in the league can't do it himself, he needs sure hands, speed, someone to stretch the field, like Branch....sorry, I know you all hate Branch, but I wish they would have done something as it is now at a point where it's almost a no return kinda thing...

Lots of folks including the local media seem to have a mental block where the Deion situation began. The team approached him in 2005 right after his superbowl MVP performance and offered him an extension according to his own agent via Borges. They deemed that offer insulting. So in FA when we all wondered why they were after Mason the answer is they already knew it was going to be difficult to extend Deion because he had delusions of grandeur.

When they didn't get Mason they kicked a lot of tires looking for eventual replacements (even stop gap ones) for Deion, Givens (whom they also knew had the same delusions) and Troy who was off having his little veteran hissy. None of them worked out. Brown returned and he a Dwight were somewhat redundant and Dwight does have a history of injury problems - he was banged up most of last year here. Terrell and Davis are busts period.

This year was a crappy FA year for WR once Wayne re-signed. That left Givens as a #2 looking for #1 money. Pat's just won't do that even if it meant they would have a fallback for Branch. They passed on Finnerin who re-signed with Atlanta and is now on IR with a blown knee (and got very little from Atlanta so maybe that was well known). Don't know why they passed on Joe Jurivcious other than they already had plans for Caldwell and to draft Jackson in the first if need be. They wouldn't have planned on Jackson unless they were fairly sure Branch was going to be a tough nut to crack.

With Dillon, Maroney, Graham and Watkins they don't really need an elite #1. A couple of elite #2's would probably do the trick with Troy in the slot. BB does not value the WR position as highly as most teams do. He'd rather spend his big bucks on defense and a QB who can do more with less. Even Brady understands this. Felger played a snipet from an interview with Tom this week and believe me at the end of the day Brady not only understands why they do what they do, he supports it in principle even when it hurts.

Last edited:
ChockBlkr said:
back in early spring a reporter was asking belichick about his offensive personnel (speciffically 4 TEs) and coach went on to rave about the lions 3 TE sets of the mid seventies and how effective they were. point being - the focus offensively this year will be BIG bodies- watson, graham, evans, dillon, thomas, mills.watch for only 4 wides to make the final cut

The Pat's are going to use fast TE's who are excellent receivers almost as a third WR. That lessens the need for WR's. The impetus was the way the Chargers used Antonio Gates last season against the Pat's. At one point you had the Pat's small CB's trying to cover 6' 4" Gates - Gates simply ran throw.

Last edited:
What happens when we play denver who have great LB's that can takeaway the run game and contain the tight ends. Then have Champ bailey against Caldwell. Thats the game Im afraid where Pats fans realize we may have a problem.

R_T26 said:
What happens when we play denver who have great LB's that can takeaway the run game and contain the tight ends. Then have Champ bailey against Caldwell. Thats the game Im afraid where Pats fans realize we may have a problem.

The idea with fast TE's is you can play them beyond the LB's forcing the DB's to cover them.

R_T26 said:
I think the BIG TE sets are what he's BB is thinking of..but I also think they haven't made a move yet..until they got a definitive resolution with Branch...and STILL hoping he would come to his senses and report. THAt isn't happening..so now, I believe they are going to make a move...or two.

MoLewisrocks said:
When they didn't get Mason

What's the inside story about Mason. From everything I heard we offered more money than Baltimore (who had Boller at QB at the time) and he still went to the Ravens. Huh?

I remember how I felt at the end of the 03 season. Branch in his second year improving, Givens learning how to be the physical WR of the group, and Bethel, only a rookie, flashing incredible speed and playing better each week. These guys were showing so much the last 5-6 weeks of that season and performed so well in the playoffs. I thought this position would be a strength like the defensive line. Oh well.

Last edited:
Ichiro said:
What's the inside story about Mason. From everything I heard we offered more money than Baltimore (who had Boller at QB at the time) and he still went to the Ravens. Huh?

His wife preferred Baltimore. The offers were close, so he figured to live where it made his wife happy.

NE39 said:
His wife preferred Baltimore.

Prefered Baltimore over Boston. Are you kidding me? Baltimore is one of the worst cities when it comes to crime, education etc. That makes no sense on her part.

I also vaguely remember Mason saying something about liking the youth of the core of the Ravens team.

lobster said:
The idea with fast TE's is you can play them beyond the LB's forcing the DB's to cover them.

Another thought came to mind concerning deion: With the Pats stocking up on TE's, maybe the Pats game plan on offense this year is going to involve TE's as a primary passing option and run blocker, making the WR's less of an option and Deion knew this and thought that he was not going to be seeing as many passing plays called to his number and going into free agency, his numbers were likely to go down. Thus reducing his ability for a big contract.

Just a thought.

MoLewisrocks said:
Lots of folks including the local media seem to have a mental block where the Deion situation began. The team approached him in 2005 right after his superbowl MVP performance and offered him an extension according to his own agent via Borges. They deemed that offer insulting. So in FA when we all wondered why they were after Mason the answer is they already knew it was going to be difficult to extend Deion because he had delusions of grandeur.

When they didn't get Mason they kicked a lot of tires looking for eventual replacements (even stop gap ones) for Deion, Givens (whom they also knew had the same delusions) and Troy who was off having his little veteran hissy. None of them worked out. Brown returned and he a Dwight were somewhat redundant and Dwight does have a history of injury problems - he was banged up most of last year here. Terrell and Davis are busts period.

This year was a crappy FA year for WR once Wayne re-signed. That left Givens as a #2 looking for #1 money. Pat's just won't do that even if it meant they would have a fallback for Branch. They passed on Finnerin who re-signed with Atlanta and is now on IR with a blown knee (and got very little from Atlanta so maybe that was well known). Don't know why they passed on Joe Jurivcious other than they already had plans for Caldwell and to draft Jackson in the first if need be. They wouldn't have planned on Jackson unless they were fairly sure Branch was going to be a tough nut to crack.

With Dillon, Maroney, Graham and Watkins they don't really need an elite #1. A couple of elite #2's would probably do the trick with Troy in the slot. BB does not value the WR position as highly as most teams do. He'd rather spend his big bucks on defense and a QB who can do more with less. Even Brady understands this. Felger played a snipet from an interview with Tom this week and believe me at the end of the day Brady not only understands why they do what they do, he supports it in principle even when it hurts.

Great post.

It is frustrating to watch the Pats carefully build their team because they won't overpay and they won't sign trash just to say they signed someone.

Coping with every team in the league overvaluing your players after a Super Bowl is why nobody repeats anymore. Except us.

I think they're being very careful how they spend at WR and LB because they'll have to pay more at TE OL and RB than before.

I'm talking down the road, but the Pats look that far ahead. That's why they don't end up having to cut half the team like some.

MoLewisrocks had some very good observations.

Perhaps I can add something to think about.

I think it is puzzling to think that Belichick wouldn't add free agents if he could get players that he thinks fits his team and were the right price. He and Pioli have added MANY players, even ones that you might think they knew were long shots.

So I suspect that the answer is, somewhat along the lines that Mo said, that there were just not receivers out there that Belichick and Pioli felt were worth signing at their price - or probably many who they wouldn't sign no matter what the price.

Don't you think that's the likely scenario ?

While I agree with and am looking forward to more use of the TEs, do you really think that Belichick and Pioli would not go after WRs ALSO if they had somebody they felt would make the team stronger ? I REALLY doubt that. They certainly have enough cap room.

Just my perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back