PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Defense Has Given Up Only 3 Points through 3 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I get that you can only play who's on your schedule. You're right about that. But think about it. It's really hard to hold ANY team in the NFL to the kind of numbers the Patriots have.

Pittsburgh
- Averaged 23.0 points a game against non-NE teams. Scored 3 points against NE. (with Roethlisberger)
- Averaged 250.0 yards a game against non-NE teams. Gained 308 yards against NE. (with Roethlisberger)

Miami
- Averaged 8.0 points a game against non-NE teams. Scored 0 points against NE.
- Averaged 241.5 yards a game against non-NE teams. Gained 184 yards against NE. (95 in garbage time)

NY Jets
- Averaged 9.5 points a game against non-NE teams. Scored 0 points against NE. (scored by the offense)
- Averaged 242.5 yards a game against non-NE teams. Gained 105 yards against NE.

So in total, these three teams have averaged:
- 13.5 points a game against non-NE teams
- 244.7 yards a game against non-NE teams

But against the Patriots, these teams' offenses have produced:
- 1.0 points a game against NE
- 199.0 yards a game against NE

So yeah, these three teams' offenses stink. But it's one thing if the Pats had held them to 13.5 points and 244.7 yards a game. That would be "average" against them. But the Pats have basically completely shut these offenses down COMPLETELY. You just don't do that on a week-in, week-out basis in the NFL. But they have.

In other words, yes, they've played bad competition, but they're utterly DOMINATING this bad competition in ways that their other opponents haven't. You almost literally can't do better than the Pats' D has been doing so far.
So you are arguing with me or against me :)

I appreciate the detail/context you added, but my comment was these are professional football teams and they dominated them.

The Bills should provide an uptick in competition level, at least defensively. That would make shutting down the Bill offense like we have been seeing more imperative.

It starts with third down conversions allowed (yesterday 0/12). I think they are first or second in the league. In the past even against lousy teams,there were times they couldn't get off the field. This year, they are shutting them down and that results in shorter drives for the opponent and less opportunities and less points. Even against bad teams, it is a start that will be tested against better offenses like this Sunday....

So you are arguing with me or against me :)

I appreciate the detail/context you added, but my comment was these are professional football teams and they dominated them.

I posted to support your point. You're right on the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes