PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: A “journalist” is highly critical of Tom Brady’s son being ball boy

The ignore button was made for threads like this….1629513209985.gif

I'm actually regularly at odds with posts I see here, where folks do tend to think "racism" means "when people call out racism." But I have my limits.

One of them is to just calmly accept that the NFL is 70% black as the opening predicate of "In a league that's 70% black, how can only 35% of coaches and 9% of head coaches be Black?"

So I get that it is a sport played at the highest level by predominantly Black players. If we think the team's coaches should look like the team's players, they should be 70% Black at every level. If we think the team's coaches and players should look like the fans, rut-roh, there's your "kneeling for the anthem" problem in a nutshell. (I'm actually fine with the kneeling for the anthem thing, ironically.)

So suffice it to say I am nobody's capitol-storming white nationalist, but the basics of this opinion are just beyond me in so many ways. I understand the argument that the teams should generally not UNDERREPRESENT African Americans at head coach, so instead of 3 Black head coaches, 5 would represent the whole population better. I understand where it might be more satisfying if Head Coaches were at a higher representation level, reflecting more closely the huge representation difference among players. But demanding a full 70% is to lock in the preexistent disparity. That seems weird.

To me, it undercuts the whole argument when you open with "In a 70% Black league..." unless I understand why it's a 70% Black league. And also let me know what percentage of Black head coaches you're shooting for, because geez, I agree more than 9% is a given.... but should it be 70%? Is that the implication? Because I am on your side... mainly... at heart... but help me understand the end game here. HC number 4, no problem, number 5, no problem... hell, number 10, no problem. But after a while I really need to know where this 70% players number we're bootstrapping from came from.

So I am with you with "70% shouldn't yield 9%" but somehow, somebody get me to how 70% Black players happened. Are they going with the Jimmy-the-Greek explanation? Or maybe desire is greater when it's the only way out? Is this supposed to be nature or nurture?

As for the nepotism thing, I blame Archie Manning. Somebody just gave that no-talent Peyton his first job and it's been downhill for the league ever since :D

It's a good question. I don't have the answer but I'll give you some of my open thoughts.

1. I grew up in military schools overseas. I know that if kids are given the same opportunities you'll see similar outcomes regardless of race. Same school, same hospitals, same playgrounds etc etc... basically equals the same results.

2. The fastest white guys in the world would be some of if not the fastest players in the NFL. But they don't play football. So I don't think genetics has much to do with it.

3. How do we judge what's a fair percentage of Black coaching? I don't know. Do we Base it on player percentage or base it on population demographics?

4. What percentage of players come from lower income families? I don't know. Does family guidance change between income levels? I think it does but that's just an assumption.

Anyway I have thought about the discrepancies over the years and still don't have a clear answer to why. But I would bet that if every kid had the same opportunity we'd see less than 70% African American playing football.

Rob Pecker is a sub-mongoloid. I don't give a shyt what that fackin' namby pamby pansy azzed WhackjobFromVirginia thinks about it either. Pecker is PROFOUNDLY ******ED, Sub-80 IQ. He and Marshall Faulk should face off playing Scrabble with just 10 letters...we'd never hear from either moron again.

Last edited:
I don't wish ill on anyone, and understand that most of the hot take talking heads are just saying whatever will get them the most attention. Angry clicks are still clicks. I mean, if they're ok with that lack of integrity, then more power to them.

But Rob Parker is a nasty, malignant piece of work. He's a flat out racist who has spewed nothing but bile for decades and has actively tried to harm other people's career out of sheer spite. And he's a paedophile.

Did not click on the Parker article, but will judge it on what seems to be consensus in this thread.

Parker never noticed the "nepotism" of BB after his hiring of Stephen and Brian ;) ;). What would get more clicks an article criticizing Brady or an article about that evil genius Belichick??

I'm 100% convinced that Parker's ultimate goal is to goad Brady into some kind of confrontation that he can cash in on for the rest of his life.

I think Parker has a much higher goal in mind, I think he has his sights set on the anchor desk job at Local 5 Sports in Des Moines. He’s using Brady to get hits to bolster his resume when he goes after Scott Carpenters job. Crafty sob.

Why should the team's coaches look like the team's players?

At least there's some thought process to why the players are black. Same reason top sprinters are black, basketball players are black, etc. Genetic gifts.

Coaches require cerebral prowess, and leadership, and insight into the game. Why would black coaches have that more? I would think if there are black coaches in proportion to the population % (same as congressman and senators and CEOs and etc) then it's plenty fair and we're on our way.
So you're for "nature" when it comes to nature vs nurture. Tony says nurture. I actually lean toward Tony's thinking. If as and when privilege is tamed elsewhere in society, the conditions for achieving "natural gifts" change. Right now they heavily lean toward taking an all-or-nothingish long shot.

Good point there re: whether coaches should look like players. I don't think there are many coaches who haven't played, and that makes sense, but certainly they don't have to have played well or at the pro level. So your view makes sense in terms of why one would need coach representation tied to player representation rather than overall population. Head coaches in line with general population would be satisfied by 2 more, and I don't think that's what the call is really for.

But then the pool you're (mainly) picking from, NFL coaches, are something like 35% Black. So I think when you have a % of head coaches in line with a % of coaches, it becomes a really tough argument to continue ("70% of players are Black, why aren't 70% of all coaches, and therefore 70% of head coaches?") I don't think anybody thinks that, mind you, it's just the implication when folks start from the % of players.

Did not click on the Parker article, but will judge it on what seems to be consensus in this thread.

Parker never noticed the "nepotism" of BB after his hiring of Stephen and Brian ;) ;). What would get more clicks an article criticizing Brady or an article about that evil genius Belichick??
This brings up one of the funny things about nepotism: Sometimes it makes sense. I mean, Bill Belichick is looking for an assistant coach and one of the candidates is a young man who has been studying the Belichick way and methods all his life. Would that be an unwise hire? Of course not.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back