PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: $20,000 fine for Chad O

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree any reference to gambling, point-shaving, payoffs needs to be dealt with severely, but c'mon. He had a single, one-dollar bill. Was it dumb and should he have known that he would be fined heavily by "Goulag" Goodell? Absolutely. But Goodell's point could have been made with a $5k slap.

Goodell did it out of spite for Ocho's irreverence...ala the Spygate letter.

Respect is gained by what you do for others, not by what you do to them.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with the fine, it's amazing that with all the money these guys make they can't behave like professionals. I prefer guys from the old school like Walter Payton and Jim Brown that believed their play on the field should speak for itself and that behaving like a clown just degrades oneself.

Because the appearance of impropriety when it comes to this gambling driven league is a lot more portentially broadly damaging to the product. Harris should and likely would have faced a suspension, but he didn't only because he got thrown out of that game in the first few minutes.

How does that make ANY sense?? It could be on the opening kick off, or the final play, a punch is a punch.

You don't get that in other sports, the timing of the incident means bugger all to do with the severity of the incident itself.

RG is doing a good job of making the NFL the No Fun League!

This is a primary example of why I really don't like Goodell. If it's behavior that the league views as not in compliance with it's policy (spearing, video taping, etc.) and he wants to issue a fine or punishment, ok....My problem is that he is so heavy-handed it's embarassing. I mean, why not fine Ocho $5,000 and not $20,000? Why not fine Belichick $100,000 for Spygate? Why fine Chung for the hit on Henne at all? Isn't the 15 yrd penalty enough?

I agree that he is taking the fining for previously flagged penalties too far. It's become so routine as to be meaningless. The penalty on the field should suffice unless he is fining them for a flagrant foul, for being a repeat flagrant offender, or for a flagrant foul that was not called in the game or for a rules infraction which is what this was. The $20K is justified in this case however because of the players stature and prior behavior and the nature of his offense.

With the exception of minimum salary players, these fines mean little or nothing and are likely tax deductible to boot as a cost of doing business. Flagrant or repetitive fouls should ultimately result in suspension and substantially increased financial penalties assessed on the team as well as the player. That's the only way to ensure it's not in a players best interest to commit them and not in a coaches best interest to give said player an attaboy behind the scenes if the foul ultimately benefitted the team on the field or to potentially retain the player long term in part because of that kind of play.

Should be penalty specific seasonal approach that says three strikes deemed flagrant and you're out. First time your called or cited for the flagrant penalty it should be punishment on the field and a nominal fine as a warning. Second time you get whacked for five figures. Third time you get a one game without pay and your team gets a six figure fine. Do it again and your season is over and your team gets docked a draft pick.

But quit fining every call that's made on the field because unless it's flagrant foul you're punishing the wrong people and sending the wrong message in an instance where you've already tied the officials hands by eliminating judgement calls and forced them to call and penalize ticky tack incidental infractions in game.

I like the idea of the poster who stated chad should have an armored car deliver 2 mill pennies to the Godell's office.

He should have it videotaped and posted to web.

What a hoot that would be.
I read that chad said he was going to pay the fine in one dollar bills. Not as good as all those penny's but still funny.

I'm sick of Goodell and his pettiness, i hope he's voted out.

I kinda side with the league on this one. Every player knows they are not allowed to bring props on the field. Whether you agree with the rule or not, Ochocinco knows the rule and disobeyed it.

Also, Chad treaded on an area that the league takes very seriously - cheating and gambling. Even in a joke, the league doesn't want to give any appearance that the games are fixed in any way.

I knew the second I saw the footage of him doing it. I knew he was going to get a huge fine. He should have known too before he did it.

He put Goodell's back up against the wall with this one and he had to do something. If Goodell did nothing would we next see T.O. looking for his day in the sun approach an official with a gold Rolex? Also this type of premeditated mockery is different than a spur of the moment punch or other violent act during a game that has been occurring since the inception of the sport. Chad lives in his own universe and feels the NFL is just a small part of it.

If a Patriot player like say Mayo took some money onto the field and approached an official I'd be embarrassed as all get out. BB would rail him for it to. Others may see this antic as comical or cute, but I find it disrespectful.

I agree that he is taking the fining for previously flagged penalties too far. It's become so routine as to be meaningless. The penalty on the field should suffice unless he is fining them for a flagrant foul, for being a repeat flagrant offender, or for a flagrant foul that was not called in the game or for a rules infraction which is what this was. The $20K is justified in this case however because of the players stature and prior behavior and the nature of his offense.

With the exception of minimum salary players, these fines mean little or nothing and are likely tax deductible to boot as a cost of doing business. Flagrant or repetitive fouls should ultimately result in suspension and substantially increased financial penalties assessed on the team as well as the player. That's the only way to ensure it's not in a players best interest to commit them and not in a coaches best interest to give said player an attaboy behind the scenes if the foul ultimately benefitted the team on the field or to potentially retain the player long term in part because of that kind of play.

Should be penalty specific seasonal approach that says three strikes deemed flagrant and you're out. First time your called or cited for the flagrant penalty it should be punishment on the field and a nominal fine as a warning. Second time you get whacked for five figures. Third time you get a one game without pay and your team gets a six figure fine. Do it again and your season is over and your team gets docked a draft pick.

But quit fining every call that's made on the field because unless it's flagrant foul you're punishing the wrong people and sending the wrong message in an instance where you've already tied the officials hands by eliminating judgement calls and forced them to call and penalize ticky tack incidental infractions in game.

Loving the proposal, Mo....Its consistient, straighforward and once a player has gone too far, severe enough to get their and the team's attention.

I agree any reference to gambling, point-shaving, payoffs needs to be dealt with severely, but c'mon. He had a single, one-dollar bill. Was it dumb and should he have known that he would be fined heavily by "Goulag" Goodell? Absolutely. But Goodell's point could have been made with a $5k slap.

Goodell did it out of spite for Ocho's irreverence...ala the Spygate letter.

Respect is gained by what you do for others, not by what you do to them.

Dale and Holley debated this on Monday and Dale said that Ochocinco was going to get about a $25k fine because of the gambling implications even in jest. So if he could figure out that the league was going to come down hard on Chad for this, I really doubt it is Goodell being petty.

Besides, Goodell doesn't determine weekly fines like this. I know everyone likes to blame Goodell for everything, but he did nothing wrong here. I think no matter who the commissioner was, the league would have come down hard on Ochocinco for this. The league is scared to give any indication of fixed games even in an obvious joke.

Dale and Holley debated this on Monday and Dale said that Ochocinco was going to get about a $25k fine because of the gambling implications even in jest. So if he could figure out that the league was going to come down hard on Chad for this, I really doubt it is Goodell being petty.

Besides, Goodell doesn't determine weekly fines like this. I know everyone likes to blame Goodell for everything, but he did nothing wrong here. I think no matter who the commissioner was, the league would have come down hard on Ochocinco for this. The league is scared to give any indication of fixed games even in an obvious joke.

I hear what you are saying, Rob but Goodell implements policy. Totally understand that the mear improrpiety of a "payoff" is bad, but everyone knew it was a joke. Fans, officials, the league. Just seems silly IMO..

More absolute stupidity by the NFL front offices. Fining a player $20k for a joke with a $1 bill.

And people criticized Mangini for the thousand dollar water...

I hear what you are saying, Rob but Goodell implements policy. Totally understand that the mear improrpiety of a "payoff" is bad, but everyone knew it was a joke. Fans, officials, the league. Just seems silly IMO..

The league being oversensitive about any implications of fixed games precedes Goodell though. Under Taglianue, Ochocinco would have gotten a big fine too. Maybe not $20k, but higher than $5k. It has been decades since the league started being sensitive of this. Hence why there are no more Jimmy the Greek type of analysts on TV anymore.

The problem here is that the NFL is no longer just a professional Sports product. It's an entertainment phenomenon. It has gone way beyond football, and, in some respects, into the land of Pro-Wrestling, which is a pure-entertainment package, much like the MSM nightly news programs. Scripted, well-rehearsed, done to maximize audience experience and enjoyment.

Now, I am NOT in any way implying that the games are rigged, at least not by management. Some stuff does occur, however, and we've all seen it. Polian's use of piped-in crowd noise, for example, done with a wink & a nod by the NFL home office. Phantom holding calls against the Pats. It happens. I accept that.

However, trying to claim "professionalism" while going overboard with half-time shows, cheerleaders, mascots, signs, banners, and the "slap-an-NFL/Team-logo-on-anything" ,indset just doesn't square with me, nor should it with anyone else. The NFL lives and dies with betting, and I am convinced they do so because they get a cut of the action. I have no proof, that's purely my opinion, but anyone who would claim otherwise is naive at best.

Let the celebrations continue. Let them be boisterous, flagrant, and over-the-top. The NFL is to America what the Gladiators were to Rome. Entertain the crowd, be well-rewarded for your efforts, enjoy the fruits of your labors.

I watch the game, I go to the game, for the adrenalin rush and for the pure enjoyment, the excitement, of watching MY team. I want to see THEM enjoying it as well, not just acting like it's another day at the office. If i wanted that, I'd watch soap operas.

Somehow, we need to get rid of Goodell, and replace him with someone who can put the FUN back into pro-football. :D

Just my 2-cent's worth. Other's MMV, I'm certain.

Respects,

Last edited:
I have major respect for OchoCinco! Not only does he know that his fine is going toward charity but he matches his fine and donates it to charity! who else would do that! This guy just loves to play football and loves life! his jists arnt intended to hurt anyone he just wants to have fun! atleast he backs up everything on the field unlike TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes