PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

One last time for Bill Russell

1960Pats

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
It's very frustrating for this old timer to see the lack of respect out there for Bill. How can a player who won 11 titles in 13 years (one of the misses was when he was injured) be ranked behind two players who, combined, have less titles than he does? And a couple of Bill's titles at the end came with him as a player-coach. His last game, which came against a Lakers team on the road in a finals game 7, was a win. And three of the starters for that LA team were Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt, all HOFers.

There was a stat a while ago about how clutch Bill was. In 2 seasons of college at SF and 13 seasons in Boston, Bill was in about 20 games where had he lost his season was over. He won every single one of those. Contrast that to LeBrick James, who was shooting for some vague best record in closed-out playoff games on the road last night. I only knew about it because the announcers were ejaculating over the thought of it for much of the game. He got blown out instead.

Now a question. If the NBA took the 32 teams they have now, got rid of half of them and then redrafted, would the league be stronger or weaker? Silly question right? And yet there are a few fans who minimize what Russell did because there were less teams. Huh? Bill Russell faced tough competition and tough players every game. Another difference that goes to the overall strength of the league is that many of the titles for teams didn't come after finishing in first place.

Another argument I hear against Bill is that the current teams have a tougher time in the playoffs because they face more teams to win. The truth is that the NBA only played one less round then and there were no creampuffs for opening rounds like there are now. When I watch the watered down version of the NBA that exists now I can only laugh. I wish I had a nickel for every time I see some big guy throw up a brick from 30 feet.

And yet another lame argument that I hear is how much bigger NBA players are now. Apparently those fans never heard of Wilt Chamberlain or Wes Unseld. Combined with the less amount of teams, all the top guys played each other a hell of a lot more than the top guys play each other now.

I was lucky enough to watch Bill Russell play a few times. Back in the 60's and 70's Boston was big on hockey. I could pay a dollar and see the greatest NBA player of all time and even pick my seat if it wasn't a playoff game. The man was a 6-9, 6-10 jackrabbit that could leap through the ceiling and run like the wind. When he blocked a shot he didn't swipe it into the stands, he guided the ball to a teammate. In college and in the Olympics he was an offensive threat but concentrated more on defense with the C's. I'm glad that he did.

As great as Larry Bird was, I'd still take Bill over him, but I'd take Bird over everyone else, and I mean everyone.

I was born in 1969, so I didn't experience the Russell years. The most I remember about Wilt was Conan and the number 20,000 (for some strange reason). Growing up in Hull in the 70's it was all about the Red Sox for my family. I don't even remember watching Havlicek or Cowens. My early memories were Yaz, Dewey, Rice, Freddy, Fisk, etc...

What I DO know is that the reason the Celtics have so many banners hanging is largely due to Russell's 11 championships. The Lakers got 5 from Magic's teams and 6 from Kobe. My years as a Celtics fan have been barren compared to what the 60's Celtics did. A true dynasty that gives us fans bragging rights, if that means anything. It also adds to the Mystique which can attract some players. RIP Bill Russell.

Oh, and he did jump over a guy:)

I was born in 1969, so I didn't experience the Russell years. The most I remember about Wilt was Conan and the number 20,000 (for some strange reason). Growing up in Hull in the 70's it was all about the Red Sox for my family. I don't even remember watching Havlicek or Cowens. My early memories were Yaz, Dewey, Rice, Freddy, Fisk, etc...

What I DO know is that the reason the Celtics have so many banners hanging is largely due to Russell's 11 championships. The Lakers got 5 from Magic's teams and 6 from Kobe. My years as a Celtics fan have been barren compared to what the 60's Celtics did. A true dynasty that gives us fans bragging rights, if that means anything. It also adds to the Mystique which can attract some players. RIP Bill Russell.

Oh, and he did jump over a guy:)
I've been blessed to have seen the athletes I've seen on the teams that I've rooted for my whole life. I could probably make a case for each Boston team having the GOAT, starting with Russell and including Ted Williams & Pedro Martinez, Bobby Orr and Brady.

One of the things that I forgot to mention in my OP was that Bill Russell didn't have the opportunity to pick his own teammates like LeBrick has done. Luckily the C's had the greatest HC/GM in Boston sports history to go along with the greatest player anyway.

Another thing being overlooked is how none of the C's players of that era won until Russell arrived and none of them won anything after he left, maybe with the exception of Hondo who might have been on a winning team a few years after Bill retired. That's no coincidence.

It's very frustrating for this old timer to see the lack of respect out there for Bill. How can a player who won 11 titles in 13 years (one of the misses was when he was injured) be ranked behind two players who, combined, have less titles than he does? And a couple of Bill's titles at the end came with him as a player-coach. His last game, which came against a Lakers team on the road in a finals game 7, was a win. And three of the starters for that LA team were Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt, all HOFers.

There was a stat a while ago about how clutch Bill was. In 2 seasons of college at SF and 13 seasons in Boston, Bill was in about 20 games where had he lost his season was over. He won every single one of those. Contrast that to LeBrick James, who was shooting for some vague best record in closed-out playoff games on the road last night. I only knew about it because the announcers were ejaculating over the thought of it for much of the game. He got blown out instead.

Now a question. If the NBA took the 32 teams they have now, got rid of half of them and then redrafted, would the league be stronger or weaker? Silly question right? And yet there are a few fans who minimize what Russell did because there were less teams. Huh? Bill Russell faced tough competition and tough players every game. Another difference that goes to the overall strength of the league is that many of the titles for teams didn't come after finishing in first place.

Another argument I hear against Bill is that the current teams have a tougher time in the playoffs because they face more teams to win. The truth is that the NBA only played one less round then and there were no creampuffs for opening rounds like there are now. When I watch the watered down version of the NBA that exists now I can only laugh. I wish I had a nickel for every time I see some big guy throw up a brick from 30 feet.

And yet another lame argument that I hear is how much bigger NBA players are now. Apparently those fans never heard of Wilt Chamberlain or Wes Unseld. Combined with the less amount of teams, all the top guys played each other a hell of a lot more than the top guys play each other now.

I was lucky enough to watch Bill Russell play a few times. Back in the 60's and 70's Boston was big on hockey. I could pay a dollar and see the greatest NBA player of all time and even pick my seat if it wasn't a playoff game. The man was a 6-9, 6-10 jackrabbit that could leap through the ceiling and run like the wind. When he blocked a shot he didn't swipe it into the stands, he guided the ball to a teammate. In college and in the Olympics he was an offensive threat but concentrated more on defense with the C's. I'm glad that he did.

As great as Larry Bird was, I'd still take Bill over him, but I'd take Bird over everyone else, and I mean everyone.

Besides being a great jumper, Russell had really long arms. When the 6'9" Russell and the 7'1" Chamberlin stood next to each other and raised their arms, Wilt only had about an inch advantage and Bill's leaping ability negated that.

Besides being a great jumper, Russell had really long arms. When the 6'9" Russell and the 7'1" Chamberlin stood next to each other and raised their arms, Wilt only had about an inch advantage and Bill's leaping ability negated that.
Bill was lucky that Wilt didn't get the Shaq treatment and could dip his shoulder and drive defenders away. If Wilt was allowed to do that nobody would have been able to stop him, even Bill.

I've been doing some comparisons of different eras and the biggest difference that I see between then and now is how many times the top players played each other. Bill and Wilt played against each other in 100 regular season games and 50 playoff games in Bill's 13 years. The most games LeBrick has played against top players in his 20 years has been the 30+30 vs Kevin Garnett and the 39+30 against Paul Pierce.

Bill was lucky that Wilt didn't get the Shaq treatment and could dip his shoulder and drive defenders away. If Wilt was allowed to do that nobody would have been able to stop him, even Bill.

I've been doing some comparisons of different eras and the biggest difference that I see between then and now is how many times the top players played each other. Bill and Wilt played against each other in 100 regular season games and 50 playoff games in Bill's 13 years. The most games LeBrick has played against top players in his 20 years has been the 30+30 vs Kevin Garnett and the 39+30 against Paul Pierce.
One could argue that having the top players go up against one another much more frequently than happens today made all of them better.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back