PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline Rumors, including Bourne and Agholar

I wonder what he would cost in draft pick compensation. Would the Carolina 3rd round pick be enough for him?

I'd love to deal Agholor for a 5th and Wynn for a 3rd, then use some of the extra draft capital to trade for Roquan and offensive line help. Would prefer to keep Bourne as insurance incase Meyers becomes too expensive next year.

With the upcoming free agent RB class being so deep I think the pats will be able to keep Damian Harris at a discount.

They can't really trade any of Bourne, Harris or Agholor while they are hurt but they should be healthy before the deadline and talk could heat up then.

Wynn and Harris would be good fits for the Rams, while I think Green Bay could use Agholor or Bourne.
Yes, what you do when you have no depth at a position is to trade a player at that position. NOT! Wynn is going nowhere.

Wynn is not a starter quality RT. That does not mean that he doesn't provide depth or the 6th man in the jumbo set.

Wynn is currently the Painted Bird of the Pats. PFF stats be damned, we are better off with him than a low draft choice. 3rd rounder is a pipe dream.

primarily for ST, but listed as WR. Does this make Agholor any more likely to be traded?

i can see where he will appeal to Bill’s liking for positional flexibility.

primarily for ST, but listed as WR. Does this make Agholor any more likely to be traded?

Nope.

And, if you listed him as an OT, it wouldn't affect the likelihood of Wynn getting traded.

Wynn is currently the Painted Bird of the Pats. PFF stats be damned, we are better off with him than a low draft choice. 3rd rounder is a pipe dream.
I strongly agree.

I would also note that, in the past, Wynn's penalties would have put him permanently on the bench IF WE ANY BACKUPS.

Yes, what you do when you have no depth at a position is to trade a player at that position. NOT! Wynn is going nowhere.

Wynn is not a starter quality RT. That does not mean that he doesn't provide depth or the 6th man in the jumbo set.
they would need to bring in another lineman if they were trading away Wynn. I wouldn’t advise trading Wynn without a back up tackle coming back. Cannon is the better RT now, so it shouldn’t be hard to find a back up level tackle or guard prospect to replace Wynn’s back up role.

Ideally they would trade Agholor for a lineman and a late pick. Then trade Wynn for a pick. I agree it would be foolish to subtract a lineman without adding one back.

Wynn seems checked out and would benefit another team more than he benefits the pats now.

Why would you do that? He's a free agent in a few months.
I can answer this.

What do you know of microeconomics and the basic structure of an auction theory?

i can see where he will appeal to Bill’s liking for positional flexibility.

Webb is coming from a triple option offense that ran the ball on 84% of their plays last season, and he was considered a proficient blocker. I think the biggest impact would be on Humphrey, maybe even pushing him off the practice squad once Webb is up to speed.

Nothing please explain
2 points then

-By having an advantage as the first bidder, there is a price to pay. In this case, it's high draft pick. We can disagree if Roquan's worth of it or not, but implying that there is no logic on "paying to be the first to act" in an auction, is straight up against basic microeconomics assumptions. It's not tomato, tomahto.

-By buying first with a draft pick, and negotiating a contract beforehand, you can almost avoid an auction. And this is another model example: An item is going for an auction, there is a range of price he will possible get. A guy comes to you, before the auction, and say: I pay X for the item. How sure are you that your item will get at least X in an auction? Well, some similarities here. If we can negotiate a contract with Roquan early, maybe we avoid his contract going for an "auction" of sorts. We pay X now, so he becomes less tempted to go for X+1 in Free Agency (which as we know, it's always a bit of a gamble for a Football player)

2 points then

-By having an advantage as the first bidder, there is a price to pay. In this case, it's high draft pick. We can disagree if Roquan's worth of it or not, but implying that there is no logic on "paying to be the first to act" in an auction, is straight up against basic microeconomics assumptions. It's not tomato, tomahto.

-By buying first with a draft pick, and negotiating a contract beforehand, you can almost avoid an auction. And this is another model example: An item is going for an auction, there is a range of price he will possible get. A guy comes to you, before the auction, and say: I pay X for the item. How sure are you that your item will get at least X in an auction? Well, some similarities here. If we can negotiate a contract with Roquan early, maybe we avoid his contract going for an "auction" of sorts. We pay X now, so he becomes less tempted to go for X+1 in Free Agency (which as we know, it's always a bit of a gamble for a Football player)
Interesting tell me more

2 points then

Patience. There is no NEED for a bidding war. I'm not sure we have the salary cap to manage Smith's salary. IIRC after a restructure we now have about $2.5MM in space. NEXT year Smith will be available in the open market. Besides our LB/SS combination have been doing very well so far.

IIRC - Next year we will have a LOT of cap space. Top 5 in the league if my memory is correct. That should allow us to sign one first day guy, and a couple of solid starter first 2 weeks guy. Plus sign a few of our own guys who deserve it. By NEXT year the biggest part of the rebuild should be complete. After that our building blocks should be here. From THAT point all you need is finding a few guys every year to provide depth and occasionally try and find an impact player every now and then.

As for Wynn just look at the damn sack totals the last few games. They've been great. Both Wynn and Brown gave up sacks to Garrett, who was the Defensive player of the week. As for Wynn, There are a LOT of possibilities. He played a lot of G in college, maybe he just switches with Owenu. I think he's quicker than Mike and probably almost as strong. Maybe the switch to RT was harder than we think. The switch is more difficult than you't believe for some.

Also I don't think we need to add a swing T. Remember Cajuste was having his best camp as a Patriot before he went down. I'd have to better know what his situation was before I'd invest in an OT that some team doesn't want. And then there is Marcus.

My worry about Wynn has nothing to do with is talent, he has more than enough. My problem (which I hadn't been made aware of before this season) is his want to. If he isn't enjoying the game and doesn't love it, THEN I'd start looking to move him THIS trade deadline.

Potential move
2 points then

I don't remember micro because I haven't been a sophomore in college in 15 years. These are all common sense assumptions going into any negotiation. The first rounder is cost prohibitive which is the entirety of the argument.

Patience. There is no NEED for a bidding war. I'm not sure we have the salary cap to manage Smith's salary. IIRC after a restructure we now have about $2.5MM in space. NEXT year Smith will be available in the open market. Besides our LB/SS combination have been doing very well so far.

IIRC - Next year we will have a LOT of cap space. Top 5 in the league if my memory is correct. That should allow us to sign one first day guy, and a couple of solid starter first 2 weeks guy. Plus sign a few of our own guys who deserve it. By NEXT year the biggest part of the rebuild should be complete. After that our building blocks should be here. From THAT point all you need is finding a few guys every year to provide depth and occasionally try and find an impact player every now and then.
Precisely. Coverage LB's are redundant in the current state of the roster, especially with Dugger set to receive a large extension next year. The defense needs force multipliers that compound with existing star players. Example, Chubb from Denver is set to be a free agent. He's a true strong side OLB. Put him on the other side from Judon. Force multiplication. Payne from Washington will be a free agent. A true dominant nose to pair with Barmore. Again, force multiplication. Judon and Barmore are both the subject of constant double teams requiring scheming to free up. Add an additional player that also requires a double on their respective levels fundamentally changes the overall capacity for danger the unit posesses.

I do grant you that I lack a bit of patience. But again, I do not see the Pats going winning him the Free Agency (gut feeling).

I appreciatte the reading on Wynn, but to me, it's clear that he is not fully there mentally yet. And he should. I wouldnt go as far as to trade him this season bc I dont trust our depth, but just for the sake of fun hypotethical, I think I'd go for a Roquan Smith for Wynn+2nd round. Just sayin
Potential move

I don't remember micro because I haven't been a sophomore in college in 15 years. These are all common sense assumptions going into any negotiation. The first rounder is cost prohibitive which is the entirety of the argument.
Neither have I for 10 years now, I guess it just stick to some better, am i right?

I havent put a price yet during this convo, although a first pick is a safe assumption. How this was the argument from "Why would you do that? He's a free agent in a few months." tho, it's another level of extrapolation that I'm not ready for, I think :rofl:

Precisely. Coverage LB's are redundant in the current state of the roster, especially with Dugger set to receive a large extension next year. The defense needs force multipliers that compound with existing star players. Example, Chubb from Denver is set to be a free agent. He's a true strong side OLB. Put him on the other side from Judon. Force multiplication. Payne from Washington will be a free agent. A true dominant nose to pair with Barmore. Again, force multiplication. Judon and Barmore are both the subject of constant double teams requiring scheming to free up. Add an additional player that also requires a double on their respective levels fundamentally changes the overall capacity for danger the unit posesses.
I'll just disagree with the start of the conversation: Neither Mack Wilson, nor whoever player next to Bentley or in his position, doesn't transpire confidence to "cover it all".

Imagine what this team could be if we had a guy that can stop the run as well as cover for any given snap, it's not something we had here since Prime Jamie Collins, and he is even better than that, making extra spicy for our defense. These aren't "redundant", to me, as we dont have anybody like that, especially a reliable one

Dugger has been playing closer to the line yes, but as he is very good at what he is already doing. This more of strict upgrade over what he have at LB.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back