PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Refutes Daily News r.e. Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are multiple possible reasons for a leak suggesting harsh penalties, including but not limited to:
  • A decision-maker wants to float a trial balloon and see if their proposed penalty meets public approval.
  • A non-decision-maker wants to float a trial balloon and demonstrate to the decision-makers that their preferred penalty meets public approval.
  • Somebody wants whatever the real penalty winds up being to not seem harsh by comparison.
The last one could itself have multiple motivations, including but not limited to:
  • Court of public opinion.
  • Future law court, if things get that far.
  • How hard the Patriots fight back.

If you've ever seen/heard McCann, he is one smart, eloquent dude..

I have not but since UNH only allows the creme de le creme of professors that are committed to ensuring middle-aged posters like your truly are quasi articulate, he must be good;)

His article in SI was outstanding

I am sticking with a $25,000 fine ... as everything else is too ambiguous.

Regardless of how the balls dipped below 12.5 .... they were under it and the rule says 12.5.

Or ... they could levy the fine by using the ambiguous lack of cooperation ...

Fans of other teams will not be happy but those two IMO go by the book

... too bad for those Brady/Patriot haters ... it's Goodell's easy way out to move on - and he should.

I don't understand why the league would release the report, then dilly dally over the penalty. Unless they really are taking public reaction into account. What an incredible farce this is.

I wonder if they'd consider a full pre-season suspension

I know opposing fans would think that's a joke, but it takes away from real in-game preparation and work with new guys

Any regular season game suspension, even just 1, is stupid.

I read the NFL statement as such:

"We refute the New York Daily News story that we are definitely going to suspend Tom Brady. Oh make no doubt about it, we are definitely going to suspend Tom Brady, but we have to make it look like we haven't made up our mind about punishments because we are still trying to get a feel from the nation what the appropriate amount of games we will suspend him to keep the most amount of NFL fans satisfied."

I am sticking with a $25,000 fine ... as everything else is too ambiguous.

Regardless of how the balls dipped below 12.5 .... they were under it and the rule says 12.5.

Or ... they could levy the fine by using the ambiguous lack of cooperation ...

Fans of other teams will not be happy but those two IMO go by the book

... too bad for those Brady/Patriot haters ... it's Goodell's easy way out to move on - and he should.
I have to say, I have a hard time believing that they spent half a lifetime and a million to buy the wells report only to fine him $25,000. I think the league is going to suspend him because if they only fine him a small amount, they look even more ridiculous.

YOU are the lawyer, my friend. I agree 100% but I cannot imagine Brady NOT taking this to the federal court in Minneapolis.

In a "fair" world Brady would not be suspended or fined because there is jack **** as proof. At worst (and I'm pushing it) the NFL could lobby a 250-500k fine against the organization for the behavior of its employees. Which is still crap based off the evidence but if it was reasonable that would be "acceptable".

I have to say, I have a hard time believing that they spent half a lifetime and a million to buy the wells report only to fine him $25,000. I think the league is going to suspend him because if they only fine him a small amount, they look even more ridiculous.
Any punishment not based on fact will open new doors for the NFL that will not be worth it to them.

The balls were under 12.5 which they can prove as fact even if they were that way due to weather.

Brady was less than 100% cooperative ... while subjective I believe they can prove that also.

Nothing else in that report can be proven ... any punishment for anything except the above will prove to be a perilous road for the NFL - they have the money to fight but there will be too many practices shown by the discovery process which will hurt them. Especially if it can be shown that the refs were over inflating balls to effect games ... games which people bet on and play fantasy football on with real money. I also believe this practice by the refs was how this entire debacle started in the first place. NFL would get fried in court for this ...

At most a fine ... I think even a game game suspension will prove to be a disaster for them.
The inflation fine $25,000 on the team and a Brady fine for lack of cooperation will save face for the NFL.

I read the NFL statement as such:

"We refute the New York Daily News story that we are definitely going to suspend Tom Brady. Oh make no doubt about it, we are definitely going to suspend Tom Brady, but we have to make it look like we haven't made up our mind about punishments because we are still trying to get a feel from the nation what the appropriate amount of games we will suspend him to keep the most amount of NFL fans satisfied."

NFL has flat out refused to deal with this in an upfront manner from the word go. I find it unenjoyable.

Maybe when Manning came out in support of Brady smarter heads in the nfl realized how stupid this was gonna look.

Maybe when Manning came out in support of Brady smarter heads in the nfl realized how stupid this was gonna look.

When was this? I saw Colin K do it. All I saw Manning do was say we'll always be friends.

If I was Brady I would sue in state court in Massachusetts. Stack that jury.
The NFL probably would demand a change of venue to New Jersey or Indiana.

There are multiple possible reasons for a leak suggesting harsh penalties, including but not limited to:
  • A decision-maker wants to float a trial balloon and see if their proposed penalty meets public approval.
  • A non-decision-maker wants to float a trial balloon and demonstrate to the decision-makers that their preferred penalty meets public approval.
  • Somebody wants whatever the real penalty winds up being to not seem harsh by comparison.
The last one could itself have multiple motivations, including but not limited to:
  • Court of public opinion.
  • Future law court, if things get that far.
  • How hard the Patriots fight back.
Or that clown myers was just making it up. The guys a real azzhat.

The NFL probably would demand a change of venue to New Jersey or Indiana.
If the alleged act took place in Massachusetts, how could they get a change of venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes