PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Players Assoc - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E Belichick Unum

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I am not a huge Roger Goodell fan, and I am less of a fan of the player's union, but what the hell is the player's union doing allowing their members to be fined $75,000? As far as I would be concerned that is grounds for a malpractice suit.

Does anybody really think that Myron Pryor's hit on Farvre deserved a fine?

I am not a huge Roger Goodell fan, and I am less of a fan of the player's union, but what the hell is the player's union doing allowing their members to be fined $75,000? As far as I would be concerned that is grounds for a malpractice suit.

Does anybody really think that Myron Pryor's hit on Farvre deserved a fine?

1. The fine was $7,500 not $75,000.

2. The fine was justified.

3. Even if it wasn't there is no cause of action for a malpractice suit.

4. There is already a thread on the fine.

Malpractice? As in they gave it to Pryor in the ass outside acceptable proctological standards?

How the hell does malpractice get into the conversation?

Last edited:

Not in the least. Curious what you think Pryor should have done. He lowered his shoulder to hit Favre in the chest. It was only after contact that his helmet slid up his chest.

Not in the least. Curious what you think Pryor should have done. He lowered his shoulder to hit Favre in the chest. It was only after contact that his helmet slid up his chest.

Doesn't matter what I think he should have done differently. The rule doesn't require intent. Doesn't even require negligence. It is a strict liability offense.

Doesn't matter what I think he should have done differently. The rule doesn't require intent. Doesn't even require negligence. It is a strict liability offense.

Precisely
In their attempt to remove subjectivity the league instead removed rationality.

Massive FAIL

Precisely

Massive FAIL

Over the long term it is the much better approach, even if you don't like the particular results in this case.

Over the long term it is the much better approach, even if you don't like the particular results in this case.

It is not a better approach over any run of time. It's irrational.

With this focus on the results only, the laws of probability allow that players attempting to play within the rules will inadvertantly and unavoidably over time become dreaded repeat offenders and get suspended for what? Playing tackle football. That's stupid.

I'm not sure that's true. Obviously, the league is interested in discouraging intentional behavior and not just violent accidents. Of course, intent is hard to judge, every player screams that they didn't mean to. But in cases where it can't reasonably be concluded that an illegal hit was intentional, I'm not sure the league is gaining anything - in terms of player safety - by fining someone. Seems like they're trying to protect players, but also using that as a pretext for opening up the offense a bit.

1. The fine was $7,500 not $75,000.

3. Even if it wasn't there is no cause of action for a malpractice suit.

4. There is already a thread on the fine.
I think You are the only one besides goody and anderson that thinks its justified. I bet even lord farve doesn't think it was illegal

It is not a better approach over any run of time. It's irrational.

With this focus on the results only, the laws of probability allow that players attempting to play within the rules will inadvertantly and unavoidably over time become dreaded repeat offenders and get suspended for what? Playing tackle football. That's stupid.

The likelihood that a player that is consciously attempting to play within the rules winds up becoming a repeat offender is extremely small. For the most part players who are attempting to play within the rules will at worst get hit with a small fine every couple of years or so. Players who are purposefully attempting to break the rules will quickly get suspended.

The likelihood that a player that is consciously attempting to play within the rules winds up becoming a repeat offender is extremely small.

PWP: So you say. I say otherwise.

For the most part players who are attempting to play within the rules will at worst get hit with a small fine every couple of years or so. Players who are purposefully attempting to break the rules will quickly get suspended.

There you go judging intent that you so oppose in supporting the irrational the rule based on outcome only that eliminates intent. WTF?

There you go judging intent that you so oppose in supporting the irrational the rule based on outcome only that eliminates intent. WTF?

No not at all. If a player is purposefully is trying to avoid helmet to head contact, for the most part he is going to be successful thus he will get penalized rarely if at all. OTOH if a player is purposefully trying to cause helmet to head contact, once again for the most part he is going to be successful and will quickly rack up enough offenses to be a repeat offender.

Question: what happens when QBs catch on and start slightly leaning their helments toward defenders?

Precisely

Massive FAIL

People fear subjectivity too much, even though there is no such thing as a perfect rule that should be followed to the letter. Thus we get "letter of the law" rules that create obviously stupid enforcements.

Last edited:
Question: what happens when QBs catch on and start slightly leaning their helments toward defenders?

What happens when people catch on and jump in front of trucks to collect insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick