Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who would you consider to be the most disappointing Patriot of 2005?

I hate to say, really 'cause I love the guy. But man, I was really expecting a hell of a lot more from Corey.

I'm disappointed in someone starting a thread about disappointing players so soon after our disappointing loss when I'm still feeling disappointed. :confused:

my nominee for "most disappointing" is dan klecko.
i mean, BB/SP liked him, and i guess i thought klecko woould establish himself as a scary IL this season. what have we got? a 'tweener, too slow for LB and too small for NT. i had hoped he'd be a 'tweener who was too strong for guards and centers on the inside, and too fast for OLs.
why would anyone see eugene wilson as a disappointment? heck, he held tthe secondary together.

PATSNUTme said:
I'm disappointed in someone starting a thread about disappointing players so soon after our disappointing loss when I'm still feeling disappointed. :confused:

the thought occurred to me when I saw Felger's choice in the Boston Herald for Most Disappointing Patriot in 2005. I figured I'd pose the question to this forum and see if they agree. For the sake of not trying to sway one person's vote one way or another, I will not reveal who Felger chose.

Bethel gets my "other" vote. I really thought this was his year to break out and he didn't! Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone when his deal is up. Corey gets a pass because of injury and Oline flux. Geno is my runner up, I really thought he seemed "absent" most of the year.

Asante. His performance was uneven at best. I was expecting him to be an average #1 cornerback. It looks like his true ability might be an above average #2 guy.

PatsChick87 said:
Bethel gets my "other" vote. I really thought this was his year to break out and he didn't! Wouldn't be surprised to see him gone when his deal is up.

I think that's a lock. The more appropriate question is if he's going to see the end of his deal. That seems, at best, 50/50.

ilduce06410 said:
why would anyone see eugene wilson as a disappointment? heck, he held tthe secondary together.

Wilson was definitely not the same player without Rodney Harrison.

I find it hard to label guys who hadnt done it yet, but should as disappointments.
Yes, I expected Bethel to do more, but he basically did what he has been doing.
Same with Klecko. I envisioned a potential 3rd down pass rusher from anywhere on the front 7 from him, but knew that it would require improvement over what he has done to date.

Starks was brought in to start, and be a top notch corner. He didnt get on the field for a long time then when he did he didnt play nearly as well as he has in the rest of his career.

To me disappointment is dropoff from what you have produced, not failure to reach potential.

Not having Klecko or Bethel improve didnt hurt us. Having Starks not deliever what was reasonably expected did.

I'd have to go with CD. Much of his diminished numbers could be attributed to injury, but I really thought that he'd run rampant after last season. Maybe the holes weren't as big as they were last year, but he sure seemed slow getting there when they were.

I guess my feeling on Klecko is that I didn't expect anything out of him anyway so he really couldn't disappoint. He must really bring those intangibles to the locker room considering how long he's hung around.

While all of the guys listed were disappointments, there is one guy missing on that list that was a major disappointment, IMO. Bethel Johnson. I was so hoping that he would take that next step this year. :(

johnson still my #1 flop

Starks, Johnson, Klecko -- I guess in that order.

Are we looking for the difference between expected production and actual production? If so the answer is Harrison.

If you all expected Starks to be a shutdown corner when playing with a serious injury, that is your issue. Would you feel the same about Starks if he were put on IR the same day as Harrison? IMHO, we would have been 3-5 or 2-6 without Starks (that is if Starks were put on IR, and didn't play injured as was the case for all the rest of injured defensive backs).
--------------------------

Are we looking for the difference between expected production and actual production for players that were healthy most of the year? If so the answer is definitely Wilson. Many of expected him to get probowl votes this year.

I understand that for some the answer is Klecko or Johnson. There are indeed many posters whoi expected great productiuon from them. They were sorely disappointed. For most of us, they gave us all that was expected.

Out of those you listed, as painful as it is to say it - Gino Wilson.

I like Gino and I fully expected much more from him this year. Wilson was the only DB to remain healthy, and when Harrison went down, I really thought he would step up his play. In the end, Gino had an okay year; but it was nothing compared to what I thought it would be.

mgteich said:
Are we looking for the difference between expected production and actual production? If so the answer is Harrison.

If you all expected Starks to be a shutdown corner when playing with a serious injury, that is your issue. Would you feel the same about Starks if he were put on IR the same day as Harrison? IMHO, we would have been 3-5 or 2-6 without Starks (that is if Starks were put on IR, and didn't play injured as was the case for all the rest of injured defensive backs).
--------------------------

Are we looking for the difference between expected production and actual production for players that were healthy most of the year? If so the answer is definitely Wilson. Many of expected him to get probowl votes this year.

I understand that for some the answer is Klecko or Johnson. There are indeed many posters whoi expected great productiuon from them. They were sorely disappointed. For most of us, they gave us all that was expected.

My expectations were not that Starks was damaged goods.
I dont know anything he did on the field that caused us to be 4-4 instead 2-6 or 3-5. He was part of the problem. I accept it was due to injuries, but he played at a level that quite honestly anyone we threw out there could have done at least as well.

If he had played 2-3 games at his expected level then gotten injured I wouldnt put him in this category.
But the fact that he wasn't healthy enough to start the season or even play much in pre-season is a disappointment to me because I thought we signed a healthy player.

I look at it the other way. If he was healthy for the 1st 8 games and played at the level we expected I think we would have been more like 6-2, because the majority of the 4 losses came primarily due to be burned consistently in the secondary, whether it was Starks or the guy playing because Starks couldnt.

mgteich said:
IMHO, we would have been 3-5 or 2-6 without Starks (that is if Starks were put on IR, and didn't play injured as was the case for all the rest of injured defensive backs).

Interesting. I think our record would have been exactly the same whether our CB was Dwayne Starks or an Inanimate Carbon Rod.

You can make a case that Starks was too hurt to play to his ability. But I don't see how you can make a case that we would have had a worse record without him. I actually think that we would have had a better record with Hank Poteat starting from Day one. Starks' performance, as courageous as it may have been, had the same effectiveness as playing with 10 men on defense.

Starks was playing with a shattered shoulder. If you're gonna nominate him, just nominate Light, Koppen and Harrison.

However, Klecko, Bethel and Tully Banta Cain were all in their third years. It was time for them to step up and earn the press clippings they had been getting. They didn't.

Next year Marquise Hill becomes a "marqued" man.

If you don't emerge by the third year, the "project" is well behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft