PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JAMA Article on Mortality and NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

primetime

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Association Between Playing Football in the NFL and Long-term Mortality in Retirement

I'm sure this is going to be misinterpreted all over the internet soon enough, because that's what happens with any scientific research on the risks of playing in the NFL, so I figured I'd preempt it and make a thread.

What they did was compared mortality rates for 'real' NFL players whose careers began between 1982 and 1992 (i.e. a cohort largely born between 1960 and 1970 or so, now in their 40s and 50s) and the mortality rates for scabs who played during the strike in 1987 (i.e. a cohort largely born in the early to mid-1960s, now in their 50s). They found there was no significant difference between the two, with the 95% confidence interval showing a hazard level between 0.95 and 2.0. It includes 1.0 in the interval, so this means you can't rule out the null hypothesis (i.e. that observed differences are due to statistical error rather than 'real').

The way this is going to be reported is that playing football doesn't lead to a significantly higher risk of mortality, even though the researchers them are careful to constantly reiterate that is not their finding. But you know the NFL and Roger Goodell need this, so they're going to pay their patsy PR firms like ESPN to write exonerating garbage.

For background, most men who live to age 18 don't die until they're in their 70s (at least). Most mortality events between those years are accidental or self-inflicted; the rest are the result of unfortunate outlier conditions. It's worth noting that NFL players are more prone to the latter than the general population because they tend to be massive men and therefore more at risk of cardiometabolic events.

And indeed that's what the paper bears out. The oldest person in the study is likely around 60 years old, or would be if they had survived. Again, most people don't die by that age if they already lived to 18, so any differences in mortality from the general population would be marginal (if alarming). The majority of mortality events for both the scab and real NFL samples are first from cardiometabolic disease and second from transportation accidents and suicide. It's possible, but this is outside the scope of the paper, that if you fast forwarded thirty years when you can expect most of these players will have died and therefore provided more completely mortality data, that differences would be significant.

In any case, a confidence interval ranging from 0.95 to 2 means that the 'best guess' for risk of death based on having an NFL career is anywhere from 'about the same' to 'twice as bad.' Yeah, you can't publish that as a finding because it includes 1.0, but it's worth noting. It does 'approach significance' in the weedy parlance of statistics.

Also worth noting is that the scabs had all played high school and college football, so the only thing being tested here is 'normal NFL career' (which is short in any case) versus 'three NFL games during the strike.' Everyone involved had played football for at least the better part of a decade before. And NFL players likely had higher earnings and therefore higher socioeconomic status than replacement players, which is associated with better health across lifetimes, so there are possible confounding factors in play.

Credit to the researchers, who acknowledge all of this. It's an interesting study nonetheless. But I'm sure it's going to be histrionically reported by the NFL's mouthpieces and I wanted to get ahead of that on this forum. You're welcome for the long thread.

tl;dr Interesting but limited research about NFL player mortality will be willfully misinterpreted by sports media

I actually commented on twitter about this and got a response from the author:

@primetime Do they state why their comparison was between the scabs and NFL players? Why was the comparison done between guys who played near-pro level with those who did play pro-level?

What's to gain over a study comparison between NFL pro's and some number of males born in the same time period? Did I miss the importance of the your point quoted below (i.e., that the increased mortality of an NFL pro over a Joe is obvious, but not provably related to having actually played the game)

It's worth noting that NFL players are more prone to the latter than the general population because they tend to be massive men and therefore more at risk of cardiometabolic events.

@primetime Do they state why their comparison was between the scabs and NFL players? Why was the comparison done between guys who played near-pro level with those who did play pro-level?

What's to gain over a study comparison between NFL pro's and some number of males born in the same time period? Did I miss the importance of the your point quoted below (i.e., that the increased mortality of an NFL pro over a Joe is obvious, but not provably related to having actually played the game)

It's important from the NFL's perspective because they want to prove that playing football at a professional level is no worse than at the amateur level. A comprehensive study that proves that will *significantly* lower reduce the NFL's liability to lawsuits, because they can say 1) you can't prove that this damage was because of his time in the NFL rather than college or high school, and 2) there is nothing inherently more dangerous about NFL football than any other brand of football in the amateur ranks. This would be a game changer.

As @primetime notes though, this study doesn't quite do it -- but it's a good study to have nonetheless. The confidence interval is wide and all it's saying is that this limited data set says you can't rule out the null hypothesis of NFL football causing similar mortality as amateur football (as eloquently posted, "observed differences are due to statistical error rather than 'real'"). Typically in a mortality study, you're looking for at least 1,000 deaths for the data to considered fully credible (statistical term, not usual English skeptical term). Here, we're seeing only about 3,800 exposures and far fewer deaths since we're looking at ages 40-60 generally. So you'll never get fully credible data - and that's part of why the error bar is so large.

I'd love to get a study which includes the entire college ranks -- those who never made an NFL roster after college versus those who did. Including all levels of college. But I expect it's much harder to get that data and for the death data to be reliable on the college end.

I think the comparison was done because the data was there and comprehensive and because length of football career might matter (as they say in the limitations, they did a separate analysis excluding guys who played in the NFL subsequently and those who played later in other pro leagues such as the CFL and the results were not meaningfully different). Effectively they're looking at a single variable here. But that lends itself to other competing hypotheses, such as that any effect the "football" variable has on mortality may come from participation at earlier stages.

The latter point wasn't part of this study (but would be in a study with a comparison group of NFL versus the general population), just a point that you'd expect there to be slightly higher mortality for certain reasons in both studied samples. But the samples are also very small and since most death events at this age are random accidents or outlier conditions, such differences may not even be detectable at this level of statistical power.

Although the methodology of the study might be sound, the question they are asking is not terribly important, unless someone is trying to assist the NFL publicity machine. As Primetime says, mortality for males in their 40s and 50s is very low. The effect of playing football in the NFL would have to be very significant to show up in an increased number of deaths. The important question is, "Does playing football at any level, from high school to college to pro, for a considerable length of time, have a significant effect on life span compared to those who have not played the game."

Last edited:
Did they break it down by position? The lineman would tend to be heavier than say WR or DBs and I would think they would be more prone to cardiac or hypertensive issues which would affect life expectancy....

I'd say there's probably good reason to use replacement players. Comparisons to the general population of males will have several differences. Football players are bigger, loaded with testosterone, have a different racial make-up, and probably a different socioeconomic or family make-up.

-Big people tend to die young
-Males loaded with testosterone drive fast and get in fights- and die younger on average
-African Americans have shorter life spans
-Low income people have shorter lifespans

All of those factors are at play without even beginning to account for hits and wear on their bodies.

The idea was to get as close to an NFL player demographic without being NFL players. I'd say replacement players are a solid group to look at. Plus it removes the childhood death aspect throwing off the average since both groups lived to 18.

It's entirely possible that the wealth gained from being an NFL player increases lifespan while the toll on the body decreases it but the combination means they live longer because one effect is greater than the other.

I doubt anyone will be able to untie all the factors at play but at the very least a comparison more similar than the general population must be made.

So, because you think the NFL might use a study for its purposes and with its own biases, you decided to try to undercut the NFL's position by using your own bias and slant on the analysis.

Seems legit.

Association Between Playing Football in the NFL and Long-term Mortality in Retirement

I'm sure this is going to be misinterpreted all over the internet soon enough, because that's what happens with any scientific research on the risks of playing in the NFL, so I figured I'd preempt it and make a thread.

What they did was compared mortality rates for 'real' NFL players whose careers began between 1982 and 1992 (i.e. a cohort largely born between 1960 and 1970 or so, now in their 40s and 50s) and the mortality rates for scabs who played during the strike in 1987 (i.e. a cohort largely born in the early to mid-1960s, now in their 50s). They found there was no significant difference between the two, with the 95% confidence interval showing a hazard level between 0.95 and 2.0. It includes 1.0 in the interval, so this means you can't rule out the null hypothesis (i.e. that observed differences are due to statistical error rather than 'real').

The way this is going to be reported is that playing football doesn't lead to a significantly higher risk of mortality, even though the researchers them are careful to constantly reiterate that is not their finding. But you know the NFL and Roger Goodell need this, so they're going to pay their patsy PR firms like ESPN to write exonerating garbage.

For background, most men who live to age 18 don't die until they're in their 70s (at least). Most mortality events between those years are accidental or self-inflicted; the rest are the result of unfortunate outlier conditions. It's worth noting that NFL players are more prone to the latter than the general population because they tend to be massive men and therefore more at risk of cardiometabolic events.

And indeed that's what the paper bears out. The oldest person in the study is likely around 60 years old, or would be if they had survived. Again, most people don't die by that age if they already lived to 18, so any differences in mortality from the general population would be marginal (if alarming). The majority of mortality events for both the scab and real NFL samples are first from cardiometabolic disease and second from transportation accidents and suicide. It's possible, but this is outside the scope of the paper, that if you fast forwarded thirty years when you can expect most of these players will have died and therefore provided more completely mortality data, that differences would be significant.

In any case, a confidence interval ranging from 0.95 to 2 means that the 'best guess' for risk of death based on having an NFL career is anywhere from 'about the same' to 'twice as bad.' Yeah, you can't publish that as a finding because it includes 1.0, but it's worth noting. It does 'approach significance' in the weedy parlance of statistics.

Also worth noting is that the scabs had all played high school and college football, so the only thing being tested here is 'normal NFL career' (which is short in any case) versus 'three NFL games during the strike.' Everyone involved had played football for at least the better part of a decade before. And NFL players likely had higher earnings and therefore higher socioeconomic status than replacement players, which is associated with better health across lifetimes, so there are possible confounding factors in play.

Credit to the researchers, who acknowledge all of this. It's an interesting study nonetheless. But I'm sure it's going to be histrionically reported by the NFL's mouthpieces and I wanted to get ahead of that on this forum. You're welcome for the long thread.

tl;dr Interesting but limited research about NFL player mortality will be willfully misinterpreted by sports media

I don’t understand why this study compare two groups of football players. Just study long term nfl players and compare to general population.

Too many studies on humans are flawed from the get-go. I work in the vitamin & supplement industry and there have been many studies that conclude a supplement has little to no benefit. But most times they study sick people which is wrong. No one claims they help cure illnesses. They “supplement” ones diet

An article was released this week that concluded omega fatty acid supplements (mostly fish oil) didn’t help people with heart problems.

They’re not supposed to help people with bad hearts, but rather prevent people from developing cardio/ pulmonary problems.

Study healthy people that use them long term & compare to those that don’t use them.

I don't understand why the study is on mortality rather than immortality.

BradyWaPo-cmsp-072517-ph2

Oh wait, "In retirement."

Never mind.

So, because you think the NFL might use a study for its purposes and with its own biases, you decided to try to undercut the NFL's position by using your own bias and slant on the analysis.

Seems legit.

All of this, including the paper's limitations, comes from the authors of the paper, which is linked in the OP and you can read for yourself. You won't, of course, but you can.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why this study compare two groups of football players. Just study long term nfl players and compare to general population.

Because it's a limited and generally comparable sample in most ways, with relatively fewer confounds. As a result, you can separate it on one very specific variable, which allows you to make stronger inferences about the effects of that variable and thus causation.

NFL players differ wildly from the general population such that, while such a study is possible, it's also full of confounds and you can't readily control for all of them, so any inference about the effects of participation in football is likely to be very weak. (Of course, it won't be reported as such, but that's how these things go.)

100% of current and former NFL players will die. Something must be done.

One finding worth noting is that 7 players in the NFL sample had died from ALS (0 in the scab sample died from ALS), but even added together you're looking at a prevalence of ALS about 100-200 times greater than the general population, especially at relatively young ages. The paper wasn't focused on testing this hypothesis so it isn't highlighted, but it's probably worth noting since there's a hypothesized connection between ALS and CTE based on autopsies of players such as Kevin Turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back