PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

I don't think $15M will do it, but don't think he will be offered $20M.

So should we do it?

2 years 37.5 million. - a lot guaranteed.
No.

2 years 30. 24 guaranteed and rest would be bonuses like 10 TDs , 1200 yards in season Postseason etc.

The more I think of it very few would be willing to give high guarantees . So longer tenure could also work for us .

I have a feeling everyone will try to cap at 15 or 16 . Low-ball would be 11 or 12 .

Seems like Cincinnati has shutdown all Tee Higgins trade talk. That aside, I like Meyers a lot in this Patriots offense, but if I had the chance to flip him for Higgins then I'm absolutely doing that. Higgins, Parker and Bourne would be a very solid trio. Higgins, Parker, Bourne and Meyers is really more like what they'll need to become truly competitive with the better offenses in the conference.
Agree but they won't lock up $40m per year on Hig and Meyers.

Agree but they won't lock up $40m per year on Hig and Meyers.
Well, they have to figure something out if their goal is to be championship competitive before Belichick retires. Patricia aside, their offensive personnel wasn't good enough last season. And I liked their WRs last season (if the playing time had been divvied up more reasonably) but given what I believe to be Mac's ceiling, he needs an above average supporting cast. Higgins, Parker, Bourne and Meyers would qualify. But if they don't re-sign Meyers, and Higgins isn't available, then in my opinion they're short 2 WRs. They have to fill those spots somehow. Elevating Thornton (who's really replacing Agholor anyway) and signing a mid-range FA WR to replace Meyers isn't good enough.

Parker is a WR2. Bourne is WR2-ish. Meyers is a higher end WR2 at best (he's not a true WR1). Is Thornton gaining 15 pounds of muscle and maintaining his speed this offseason? He looks like a WR3/4 at this point. The team needs to get a true WR1 this offseason. And they need to bring back Meyers or replace him with someone better.

Well, they have to figure something out if their goal is to be championship competitive before Belichick retires. Patricia aside, their offensive personnel wasn't good enough last season. And I liked their WRs last season (if the playing time had been divvied up more reasonably) but given what I believe to be Mac's ceiling, he needs an above average supporting cast. Higgins, Parker, Bourne and Meyers would qualify. But if they don't re-sign Meyers, and Higgins isn't available, then in my opinion they're short 2 WRs. They have to fill those spots somehow. Elevating Thornton (who's really replacing Agholor anyway) and signing a mid-range FA WR to replace Meyers isn't good enough.

Parker is a WR2. Bourne is WR2-ish. Meyers is a higher end WR2 at best (he's not a true WR1). Is Thornton gaining 15 pounds of muscle and maintaining his speed this offseason? He looks like a WR3/4 at this point. The team needs to get a true WR1 this offseason. And they need to bring back Meyers or replace him with someone better.
Guys like Thornton typically don't gain much, if any, body mass...

Guys like Thornton typically don't gain much, if any, body mass...
Who are we comparing him too? I can't think of too many WRs in the NFL who are 6'3" 182. I thought of Robbie Anderson, looked him up, he's 6'3" 190.

George Pickens is 6'3" 200, which is nearly 20 pounds on Thornton, but Pickens looks much thicker. Don't want to turn this into a draft debate but Pickens went two spots lower than Thornton. Pickens looks like he's going to be a stud WR1.

Alec Pierce... 6'3" 213... just sayin

Looking through the 2022 draft again... rounds 1-5 there were actually a lot of solid WR picks. Khalil Shakir was mostly buried in the Bills deep WR depth chart but I think he's going to be very good... 6'0" 190, 5th round.

The Patriots should pursue FA WR Allan Lazard 6'5" 230. Jets and Chiefs rumored to be interested in him. I'd much prefer him in a Patriots uniform.

George Pickens is 6'3" 200, which is nearly 20 pounds on Thornton, but Pickens looks much thicker. Don't want to turn this into a draft debate but Pickens went two spots lower than Thornton. Pickens looks like he's going to be a stud WR1.

Alec Pierce... 6'3" 213... just sayin
Thornton has a leanness about him... One of my dive buddies was like him.... He could sling tanks all day long... They can be strong, a wiry strength, but it's difficult for that body type to add mass... Just my anecdotal observation based on past experiences

Good point dump off Mac was very scared to throw those passes up to Parker. That's why he took the safe throw to Meyers or Rham not exactly a innovative passing game.
I don't think Mac is scared to do it. He threw a few early picks on those kind of balls, and I'm guessing Matty P is the one that put a stop to it -- and switched to the 35 screen passes per game. I didn't see a big problem with those early season interceptions, and would have lived with them and gave mac the the chance to learn through the mistakes. I think he throws a good deep ball.

No.

2 years 30. 24 guaranteed and rest would be bonuses like 10 TDs , 1200 yards in season Postseason etc.

The more I think of it very few would be willing to give high guarantees . So longer tenure could also work for us .

I have a feeling everyone will try to cap at 15 or 16 . Low-ball would be 11 or 12 .

They will be very lucky to get Meyers that low.

No.

2 years isn't going to fly for him or us, capwise... The typical deal is 4 years... Guys gotta move away from thinking a two year deal will work...

2 years isn't going to fly for him or us, capwise... The typical deal is 4 years... Guys gotta move away from thinking a two year deal will work...
I know it's wishful thinking.

4 years 65 / 30 guaranteed and have high performance bonuses fitted in

I know it's wishful thinking.

4 years 65 / 30 guaranteed and have high performance bonuses fitted in

Renfrow got two years, and they seem like similar players.

Agholor was two years as well.

I think the shorter commitment works with second tier guys.

You take the low cap first year, and then you either accept the one-year hit, rewrite, or cut bait. It's over fast, if needed.

Two years with Meyers could keep them open to the big names coming up in 2024.

Renfrow got two years, and they seem like similar players.

Agholor was two years as well.

I think the shorter commitment works with second tier guys.

You take the low cap first year, and then you either accept the one-year hit, rewrite, or cut bait. It's over fast, if needed.
Renfrow was an extension at the end of his 3rd season/beginning of his 4th year... He never hit free agency

agholor ... Yeah, well, he sucks... and was coming off a 1 year prove it deal in vegas when he signed

Meyers will get a 4 year deal

Thornton has a leanness about him... One of my dive buddies was like him.... He could sling tanks all day long... They can be strong, a wiry strength, but it's difficult for that body type to add mass... Just my anecdotal observation based on past experiences
He can can mass...if he tries. I have a similar body type and it's possible. If you work out and eat enough calories, you will gain muscle - you just have to try harder than others. And there's no way he's in the 180's. He's more like in the 160's.

He has a lot of resources at his disposal. It just comes down to how motivated is he to do it.

He can can mass...if he tries. I have a similar body type and it's possible. If you work out and eat enough calories, you will gain muscle - you just have to try harder than others. And there's no way he's in the 180's. He's more like in the 160's.

He has a lot of resources at his disposal. It just comes down to how motivated is he to do it.
sure, he can... never said he couldn't, just that its difficult to do so... more difficult than for most... your comments kinda back that up that assessment... Appreciate the insight though, good to get that type of feedback

as for thornton, i dont doubt hes in the 180 range... he's bigger/stronger than most would assume... deceptively strong, just based on his photos

Last edited:
Who are we comparing him too? I can't think of too many WRs in the NFL who are 6'3" 182. I thought of Robbie Anderson, looked him up, he's 6'3" 190.
Devonta Smith is 6.0 and about 175 which is the closest i can think of

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back