PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers ▣ Free Agency

I certainly agree.

I would hope the new OC takes much better advantage of the three WR's that we have and the two TE's. We don't need a $15m-$25M AAV receivers to see major improvement. We have a solid corp of 5 receivers.

That being said, we need to bring in another, who could be worked in with who we have. And, I guess that all the teams will be drafting WR's every year and hoping to find a WR at great savings from what it costs for a veteran.
I expect big things out of Parker and Thornton - they're our big x factors, both have the talent to dwarf last year's production.

Meyers: if we retain him, I like our WR room. If we lose him, then our 1st rounder is probably being spent on a WR, though you never know, a trade for a veteran could materialize.

Bourne: we know he can be productive, hope BOB can carve out a solid role for him.

Agholor will be gone, and like people have been saying, replace him with a shifty slot type guy.

One thing we fail to understand is with opposing defensive teams knowing what we are going to do Meyers still came up trumps with high catch % .

With such a bad offensive line Meyers was still legit. With Cam he was able to shine, Mac rookie campaign still shone bright and with Patricia even performed better .

15 million seems high , but are we undervaluing his presence . Probably he is the best WR2 money can buy. We are in this position because we couldn't draft a Wr1 not trade for 1 . I also don't think Higgins or cooks are a Wr1.

If Meyers gets 20 million we cannot do much , but at 13 -15 we should at least try to put an offer and if need be relieve Trent brown . Next year we will not be overpaying for tight ends. So we can definitely afford Meyers in future . We should have extended him last season . That was a mistake on our end.
Agree he's worth $15m. So productive and clutch.

The one thing that concerns me about Higgins is that he's not a YAC guy getting under 4 yards per reception. He's a very good 50/50 guy and plays the position like a basketball player. However, is he the right guy for Mac's skill set? Mac needs a guy who can take shorter to intermediate passes and do damage after the catch.
I think he's the perfect guy to bring down Mac's moon balls he's elite at 50/50 balls.

Can't have it all, all the time. He's not the most versatile guy but great at what he does. And that's something Bill has gone overboard in the past. It's ok to not have the most versatile guys in the league at every spot. Higgins has been underutilized, still produces. So you know you're likely to get roi. We've missed a true slot, we've also missed a true X as much though. And teams have packed the MOF two years in a row now bc they know he lives there.

I love Meyers but we've seen and know his ceiling. Much respect to him. He deserves we he gets. I want him back but would let him walk at 15 per.

Also this isn't the draft I'm clutching onto 14 if I'm happy with my QB.
I think he's the perfect guy to bring down Mac's moon balls he's elite at 50/50 balls.
The question I have is do you think Mac has the confidence/ability Burrow has throwing up boundary passes to Higgins?

The question I have is do you think Mac has the confidence/ability Burrow has throwing up boundary passes to Higgins?

Not only that, but is he just as elite if he's going up for 50/50 balls facing WR1 coverage? Right now teams are either putting the CB1 on Chase, or doubling chase with their CB2 and a safety, OR doubling chase with their CB1 and a safety. I like Higgins a lot, but coming down with contested catches against the other team's best defender week in and week out may not be as sustainable.

EDIT: Did a quick follow up search on my own question: In the four games that Chase missed, Higgins was actually pretty damn productive. 26 catches for 371 yards and 2 TDs. For a full 17 game season, that pace would be good for 110/1576/8. So seems like being the primary option (at least for that short stretch) didn't hinder his production at all, and the Bengals were 3-1 for those games, so it's not like they just force fed him to the detriment of the team.

Last edited:
Good point dump off Mac was very scared to throw those passes up to Parker. That's why he took the safe throw to Meyers or Rham not exactly a innovative passing game.

If Meyers gets 20 million we cannot do much , but at 13 -15 we should at least try to put an offer and if need be relieve Trent brown . Next year we will not be overpaying for tight ends. So we can definitely afford Meyers in future . We should have extended him last season . That was a mistake on our end.

Agree he's worth $15m. So productive and clutch.

I don't think $15M will do it, but don't think he will be offered $20M.

So should we do it?

2 years 37.5 million. - a lot guaranteed.

Id prefer we trade for a true number one that costs about 20-25 mm than sign Meyers to a 15-20 mm deal.

However, a trade takes two teams and there is a strong possibility that the Pats can’t get that number one receiver via trade. At that point I’d happily take Meyers back at 15-20.

A big argument for Meyers is that trading for a top receiver will not only cost more money but also will cost a high draft pick. So it’s not really Meyers vs Jeudy, Hopkins or Higgins but Meyers and a top 100 pick slot receiver vs Higgins Jeudy or Hopkins.

Id prefer we trade for a true number one that costs about 20-25 mm than sign Meyers to a 15-20 mm deal.

However, a trade takes two teams and there is a strong possibility that the Pats can’t get that number one receiver via trade. At that point I’d happily take Meyers back at 15-20.

A big argument for Meyers is that trading for a top receiver will not only cost more money but also will cost a high draft pick. So it’s not really Meyers vs Jeudy, Hopkins or Higgins but Meyers and a top 100 pick slot receiver vs Higgins Jeudy or Hopkins.

I'd rather sign a guy like that for more money than Meyers, but trading is tricky because they also need OL help (both this year and longterm). If one of the good LT is available at 14, I'd hate to have given that up in trade.

They gave Agholor $22 in a much smaller market.
...and that was stupid and a waste of money. At the time that was the going rate for a WR2.
At least this money will go to good use.
Meyers will get his 65/850/x TDs but is that really ~$17m?

...and that was stupid and a waste of money. At the time that was the going rate for a WR2.

Meyers will get his 65/850/x TDs but is that really ~$17m?

Renfrow got 32+ last year and I think Meyers is better. This is unfortuately the market.

Their FA signings are mediocre. At least here I'd feel he would produce as you say, and they will be a clutch 850 yds.

Renfrow got 32+ last year and I think Meyers is better. This is unfortuately the market.

Their FA signings are mediocre. At least here I'd feel he would produce as you say, and they will be a clutch 850 yds.
I hear you. My point is if Meyers is $17m i'd rather spend $20m + on a more dynamic player.

I hear you. My point is if Meyers is $17m i'd rather spend $20m + on a more dynamic player.

And I hear you.

I'm just not seeing that 20M guy, unless we're trading for Tee Higgins, Jeudy, or Aiyuk, (plus I don't see them as 20M anymore).

And I hear you.

I'm just not seeing that 20M guy, unless we're trading for Tee Higgins, Jeudy, or Aiyuk, (plus I don't see them as 20M anymore).
Agree.

I'd go to $20,000,001 :p

I imagine Higgins is looking at over $20m. I'd be ok w/ that.

Agree.

I'd go to $20,000,001 :p

I imagine Higgins is looking at over $20m. I'd be ok w/ that.

I'd be ok too, but do you wait another year? Would you trade him if you were Cinci?

How much of an option is he today?

You deal with the second year of the Meyers contract next year.

I'd be ok too, but do you wait another year? Would you trade him if you were Cinci?

How much of an option is he today?

You deal with the second year of the Meyers contract next year.
If i'm Cinci I keep him. They are a SB contender right now.

Seems like Cincinnati has shutdown all Tee Higgins trade talk. That aside, I like Meyers a lot in this Patriots offense, but if I had the chance to flip him for Higgins then I'm absolutely doing that. Higgins, Parker and Bourne would be a very solid trio. Higgins, Parker, Bourne and Meyers is really more like what they'll need to become truly competitive with the better offenses in the conference.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back