PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

Patricia didn't throw those picks or have a ball punched from him. Patricia actually had a good game plan and really had them in poistion to score at least 35+

He called a good play that got Parker open for a walk in TD on 4th down yet Jones rushed it to Bourne.

I guess some on here would blame how that fumble bounced and where Peters was on Patricia so it's whatever.
We knew it would take a few games, maybe half the season, for the defense to gel.

The offense looked very good until the 4th quarter. Patricia didn't throw those interceptions.

BALT played a fine game.

If you want to blame someone other than Mac Jones, the man is Judge. Clearly, Mac Jones isn't up to reading defenses and avoiding potential interceptions. Mac throws a lot of potential interceptions.

375 yards last week, 450 yards this week but ya I guess offensive play calling is the the single biggest problemo_O and not the mental blunders from the offensive players themselves (Jones INTs, WR not running the audible route, OL getting penalties that make it 3rd and 12 instead of 3rd and 2, guys getting balls punched out after big gains) are committing.
Is that also not on the coaches?

Come on...don't put assumptions in my post. Mac has 2 TDs to what 5 or 6 ints and most of those Ints have to do with forcing it to Parker Instead of looking for the open guy.
The INT problem is not that easy to resolve.

His passes hang in the air and fall short. We saw it last season in the Buffalo post season game and we saw it in Pittsburgh. The Steeler DB did not turn in time and Agholor fortunately reached down in front of the DB and got the ball for a TD. Dangerous throw. Same as the Ravens game throwing to covered WRs. Its not like Brady throwing to Moss to where Moss was the only guy who could get it unless the DB just made and unbelievable play. Jones long passes are a toss up. Either team has a shot to haul it in.

Jones thinks that he can burn the ball in there, but he cant.

Is that also not on the coaches?
Sure, Belichick will be the first to tell you that everything is on the coaches. But this thread was clearly started with the intention of bashing Patricia the play caller, even when execution of the plays was 10x as much of a problem.

Frankly, you could have slapped DropKickFlutie’s name on this thread and nobody would know any different. Everything that goes wrong confirms prior opinions about who is bad at their job, and everything that goes right confirms prior opinions about who is good at their job. The actual circumstances of the game aren’t important.

Good luck with that. Patricia and BB are buddies. He’s not going anywhere.
I'm fine with Patricia coaching defense... the way he has been for 15 years. I'm not ok with him calling offensive plays and putting the offense and Mac Jones consistently in BAD situations with his bad playcalling, because he's not an experienced OC, he's learning on the fly. This was a risky move from the beginning and the experiment needs to stop.

Remember how bad the defense looked last year when Stephen Belichick was running it, but when daddy took over the play calls things looked much better? Same situation, but it applies to the offense instead. Patriots 24th in points scored with 16.7 ppg, and 31st in the league in turnovers with 8 given up. That's just a bad combination. Can't score, can't hold onto the football. The communication isn't there, the execution isn't there, and the results aren't there. This has to fall on Matt Patricia. He's incompetent. He needs to be replaced as an offensive coordinator, excuse me 'offensive assistant'. He'll be fine coaching defense, he is NOT FINE coaching offense and making the offensive play calls which he has never done before!

Patricia & Bill's new philosophy: don't bend but break. Bold move.

I just don't see any of the offensive struggles as a Matt Patricia problem. Playcalling has been fine, execution has been very poor. Doesn't matter if you brought Kyle Shanahan, Mike McDaniels, and Bill OBrien all in to "co-run" our offense - players need time to find comfort in the playcalls and scheme in order to execute better.

Keep in mind that Josh McDaniels was a DEFENSIVE BACKS coach prior to running our offense. Patricia has plenty of football knowledge and coaching experience to run any NFL position group. It somehow slips peoples minds that a "Defensive" coach has to know NFL offenses intricately... This isnt the football equivalent to a Physics teacher coming in to teach Classic Literature. There isn't an offensive concept on earth that Matt Patricia and BB aren't familiar with.

We were in a great position to win that game until the Agoholor Fumble vs. very good Ravens team. Great job running the ball, offense line looked solid, several longer completions, ran a 2 minute (30 seconds actually) extremely effectively to end the half. Mac just made several poor decisions and turnovers killed us.

So yes, coaching has been suspect, but I think it falls on teaching Mac Jones how to make better decisions with the football. When is the last time you saw him throw the ball away?

I just don't see any of the offensive struggles as a Matt Patricia problem. Playcalling has been fine, execution has been very poor. Doesn't matter if you brought Kyle Shanahan, Mike McDaniels, and Bill OBrien all in to "co-run" our offense - players need time to find comfort in the playcalls and scheme in order to execute better.

Keep in mind that Josh McDaniels was a DEFENSIVE BACKS coach prior to running our offense. Patricia has plenty of football knowledge and coaching experience to run any NFL position group. It somehow slips peoples minds that a "Defensive" coach has to know NFL offenses intricately... This isnt the football equivalent to a Physics teacher coming in to teach Classic Literature. There isn't an offensive concept on earth that Matt Patricia and BB aren't familiar with.

We were in a great position to win that game until the Agoholor Fumble vs. very good Ravens team. Great job running the ball, offense line looked solid, several longer completions, ran a 2 minute (30 seconds actually) extremely effectively to end the half. Mac just made several poor decisions and turnovers killed us.

So yes, coaching has been suspect, but I think it falls on teaching Mac Jones how to make better decisions with the football. When is the last time you saw him throw the ball away?
It’s been reported and talked about that the coaches want more big plays and pushing the ball down field. Phil Perry talked about it yesterday and Mac talked about it on his radio appearance yesterday. They want him to take more chances and the ball is being turned over more. You can’t just say coaching has nothing to do with it. It has a lot to do with it.

Didn’t read all the pages but I’m sure it’s been mentioned…Mac staring down receivers Adam Gase-style is not a Patricia issue. Neither is not checking down to other options. Mac needs to think about that while on rehab.

Patricia SO ****ING ****E GET HIM OUT :rofl:

'
FdqpYRJX0AICWfJ

Patriots offense 10th in the league in ypg

Patriots- 364.7

Ravens- 380.3
Chiefs- 374
Packers- 355.7
Dolphins- 355.3
Raiders- 346.7 (MCDANIELS)
Bengals-338.7
49ers- 323.7
Rams- 306.3
Bucs- 297.3

Didn’t read all the pages but I’m sure it’s been mentioned…Mac staring down receivers Adam Gase-style is not a Patricia issue. Neither is not checking down to other options. Mac needs to think about that while on rehab.

Mac staring down receivers is so obvious Patrick Queen is jumping the route. Think about that.

It’s been reported and talked about that the coaches want more big plays and pushing the ball down field. Phil Perry talked about it yesterday and Mac talked about it on his radio appearance yesterday. They want him to take more chances and the ball is being turned over more. You can’t just say coaching has nothing to do with it. It has a lot to do with it.
Yes, but throwing it right to the defender isn't a coaching decision. Mac tried to force one to Parker with triple coverage ffs and misread several coverages for other turnovers. Do we think Patricia had those in the playbook? At some point people need to look at Mac and realize he just isn't that good yet at making decisions.

To each their own, but in my book I am perfectly comfortable with our play-calling so far.... We have much bigger issues and they start at the QB position. Between Jones' injury and his inability to make sound, mistake-free decisions... THAT is the elephant in the room.

Patricia SO ****ING ****E GET HIM OUT :rofl:

'
FdqpYRJX0AICWfJ

Patriots offense 10th in the league in ypg

Patriots- 364.7

Ravens- 380.3
Chiefs- 374
Packers- 355.7
Dolphins- 355.3
Raiders- 346.7 (MCDANIELS)
Bengals-338.7
49ers- 323.7
Rams- 306.3
Bucs- 297.3
If they aren't scoring points then what does it matter? When you're behind all the time you're going to rack up more yards and interceptions because you have to push the ball down the field.

Yes, but throwing it right to the defender isn't a coaching decision. Mac tried to force one to Parker with triple coverage ffs and misread several coverages for other turnovers. Do we think Patricia had those in the playbook? At some point people need to look at Mac and realize he just isn't that good yet at making decisions.

To each their own, but in my book I am perfectly comfortable with our play-calling so far.... We have much bigger issues and they start at the QB position. Between Jones' injury and his inability to make sound, mistake-free decisions... THAT is the elephant in the room.
The coaches want him to put it up more, take more chances. He goes from a conservative don’t make mistakes directive last year to a push the ball down field directive this year. He’s a 2nd year guy, you can’t lay it all on him when he pushes it down field and we end up with turn overs. He’s still learning the game and he’s doing it now with 2 guys who have spent the majority of their career on D and ST. Coaching is a lot more than just play calling.

It's not like Matty P has called James White up the middle on 3rd and goal from the six yard line.

I have no idea what you're saying here.

He came back to the Patriots.

Flores is NOT the Pitt DC.

How does multiple Super Bowls, shutting down historic offenses, having the #1 defense in the league, how is that NOT fantastic?

This is why I say Patriot fans are spoiled by 20 years of greatness. This is totally unrealistic to expect any better from a DC.

I was wrong about Flores being the DC for Pitt, but again i said my preference was Flores over Patricia was my opinion. I stated Patricia did a fine job as the DC here, Although i think Flores was better. Still none of that means he(Patricia) should be the OC here especially running a scheme he and the QB are both learning to do.

and what does BB resume have to do with this year, last year or the seasons before? The criticisms of some of this decision making are just. Because he won 6 SBs does not mean he is above any criticisms. And i am not asking for the head coach to be fired.

and in the bold. Yes a "DC" not a "OC" again especially running a scheme nobody in the building is familiar with. Like the players have questioned the direction among the media as well. This is not fans just being spoiled nor does it have anything to do with the rebuilding period. That is expected as i have stated before. The decision making during this period is a head scratcher.

Last edited:

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back