PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Dwight Smith worth picking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The Pats could really use him. Smith is versatile, can play corner or saftey. Sounds like a player the Pats would be interested in. I say the Pats may go after him now instead of Ty Law. Smith is only 27 years old to Law's age of 32. What do you guys think?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2525154

Last edited:
Depends on what he's asking for???..as well as what the real deal is with Law?? If they really think Law will be returning...why pick him up as well???
On the other hand, if they don't think that will happen..maybe..

The guy is a pretty good player, and would seem to fit the Pats defense with his hybrid S/CB skills and cover-2 background.

My only hesitation is that the Saints are getting rid of him after only one year, and he played pretty well for them. Makes you wonder why they are getting rid of him, and if perhaps he is a jerk or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he'll come for a reasonable salary, I have no problem with it.

I heard he was Jonathon Sullivan's wingman for cruising around NO:eat2:

if we take a chance on him. could be a pretty good pick up. was a big part of the Tampa SB year..played pretty well as a Saint. But Drew is his agent i believe..so :\

he picked us off in pre season didnt he :\

Last edited:
It would be an interesting twist if KC picked him up.

thewaylifeshouldbe said:
It would be an interesting twist if KC picked him up.

So then.
Who'd you rather have?

Law ... at a price somewhere in between Agents Orange asking price (waaay up there)
and his true value, OR ...

Smith ... at a price that reflects Piolichick's sense of his value to us ?

Remix 6 said:
if we take a chance on him. could be a pretty good pick up. was a big part of the Tampa SB year..
Dwayne Starks was huge part of the ravens superbowl year.

so your going to be a dumbass and say Starks still sucks? Incase u missed it..he had a hamstring injury in minicamp..not sure if anything during season and then the shoulder injury that was very very bad and doctors said they are suprised he played through it. is he the problem for our failure at start of season? Because first of all..we had no pass rush most of time till mid season..leave any DB out there 1v1 for that long constantly and they'll get beat. i was willing to give him another chance and im sure BB would too if he didnt carry that high of a cap.

flutie2phelan said:
So then.
Who'd you rather have?

Law ... at a price somewhere in between Agents Orange asking price (waaay up there)

Law if we can afford it.

As much as I hate to say it, we have the cash (what the hell else are we going to do with it?) so why not give Law what he wants, or close to it? A two year deal. It will solidify our D in a way that no other player currently available can.
We have the cash!!!!!
Just my 2 cents.

Rich

because if we give Law what he wants..other players will expect what they want. Why dont we give Deion the money he wants? Because hes not worth as much as he wants.

flutie2phelan said:
So then.
Who'd you rather have?

Damn. Tough one. In all honesty I don't think we need either Law or Smith, I think were good to go and woud rather see the LB and WR situations addressed.

But if forced to choose I would have to say Smith and take the chance on his falling into step during TC. I know he doesn't fit as well into our system as Law would, and the risk of personality disturbances is higher, but he seems the better value as a player. I honestly believe that KC will take a close look at him considering the guys cover 2 experience.

But it is more that I would prefer NOT to pay Law big signing money than it is I would want Smith over him.

thewaylifeshouldbe said:
Damn. Tough one. In all honesty I don't think we need either Law or Smith, I think were good to go and woud rather see the LB and WR situations addressed.

But if forced to choose I would have to say Smith and take the chance on his falling into step during TC. I know he doesn't fit as well into our system as Law would, and the risk of personality disturbances is higher, but he seems the better value as a player. ....

But it is more that I would prefer NOT to pay Law big signing money than it is I would want Smith over him.

I guess i copy you. Lifer.

Except ... while WR does seem thin to me, too - not weak, THIN ...
linebacker doesn't bother me.
But for an odd reason.

Belioli have had the entire offseason to strengthen a weak or dubious LB corps.
They draft Mincey ... in the, what, 5th round? They sign Roach as a UDFA.

Are those the actions of worried personnel gurus?
We may not know exactly why, but ...
i'd bet that LB is a Patriots strength!

flutie2phelan said:
I guess i copy you. Lifer.

Except ... while WR does seem thin to me, too - not weak, THIN ...
linebacker doesn't bother me.
But for an odd reason.

Belioli have had the entire offseason to strengthen a weak or dubious LB corps.
They draft Mincey ... in the, what, 5th round? They sign Roach as a UDFA.

Are those the actions of worried personnel gurus?
We may not know exactly why, but ...
i'd bet that LB is a Patriots strength!

Yeah, I agree with you that there is probably little worry regarding the LB corps. Mincey and Roach are good prospects and I hope they develop well. I just feel another vet in the mix would edge our effect a little higher.

I would get alot more excited to hear Donnie Edwards was up for grabs than Law or Smith.:D

Unless he leaves money on the table, Smith is not coming to Foxborough. Too many other teams, incl. cover-2s Indy, Tampa, KC, Detroit, will drive up the price. It appears to be a Financial decision, not an Off-field Issues decision, on the part of the Aints.

I'm not sure what Smith brings to the table, that we don't already have on the roster? Besides a few more years of service in th4 NFL, what else would he be bringing to the dance??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents