PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I thought sports was supposed to be fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougGabriel2007

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Then why is nobody enjoying this season?

This board is all about trashing other players, coaches, etc lately it seems. Who knows....

I know ESPN has become intolerable and I'm really surprised sports media has fallen this far (**** Schaap would be sad) but atleast enjoy the season. Its just sports, I like to be analytical about it but have some fun watching the team rather than complain about every little player, coach, media, opposing fan slight.....Also, I'm surpried there have been so many slights but whatever, it is what it is. Pats are basically the first dynasty in the internet/information era and thats going to lead to a lot overkill.....

Well, all I can say is last night's game was the best I've seen all season in terms of intensity and tension. And the fact that my team won made it even better.

I was just hoping for 10-6 and maybe a home playoff game before the season...with a little luck 11-6

THIS has been a pleasant surprise

Too many fans here obsess over certain players...this MUST cut into their enjoyment...me? I'm happy as a pig in shyte

I totally agree with the premise of this thread. The last few years have brought in a lot of newbie fans who don't know that much about football - and that can be fine. Fresh blood, fresh perspective, energy. But some of them have a bizarrely warped and short-sighted perspective, especially when it comes to young players.

They forget that mainstays like Wilfork and Warren and Samuel were not even CLOSE to hot out of the gate. They think every Day One (I know Samuel wasn't one) player should step on the field like Deion Branch and "belong" and excel. That's simply not how it works very often, especially when you have:

1) a system as complicated as the one N.E. runs.

2) as few spots for p-time as this organization currently has.

They look for, and lean on, the negative. They bash. They call people busts after half a year, a year, a year and a half, when any ACTUAL football fan knows it often takes far longer than that for guys to pan out.

This has been a PHENOMENAL season. This team is doing something historic. We have supplemented a lot of the negative media-driven stories (spygate, running-it-up-gate, etc...) with negative takes of our own. And it's a real shame. It's juvenile and terribly unfortunate.

The site has really gone downhill. Thank God for guys like Andy Johnson and Oswelk and a few others, who do a nice job keeping us on track.

Last edited:
I agree with you, I don't worry about what the media says every two seconds, in fact I don't pay any attention to anyone in the media except a handful of knowlegable types. I think we probably have a bunch more bandwagon jumpers who have apparently not been through this before. To me, it is 2001 redux, or 1985 redux, for that matter, the way the media treats us.

I am aggravated about the officiating, however. It is hard to enjoy this sport and watch it go down the drain because the league is too cheap to pay refs to do their job correctly, and to simplify the rules and allow major penalties to be reviewable. When every fan in the league thinks they have been screwed by the refs, you have to start to wonder if something is wrong...

I think that part of the problem around here is that when you are too close to the game, even as a fan, you start to see the game from an insider point of view in your own mind, and for me that is when the bad officiating and maybe some of the disappointment in the league politics comes from.

Anyway, just ranting a little. Trying to answer your question about why this is sometimes fun and aggravating at the same time. But overall this has been a dream season from a football point of view. I hope the Pats get their second wind because I would simply love another DVD for my collection.

I take all the compliments in the media and all the criticism as two sides of one superficial coin. I don't really care what people I don't respect think anyway.

It is fun and we've all had a great season. But it's expectations change things. A Browns fan may enjoy 7-5 more than we enjoy 12-0 because their 7-5 more exceeds their expectations than our 12-0 does.

I once said "give me one super bowl and I'll die happy". Well winning is like a drug, you think you just need it once but then you want it more and more. I (we) got my one . . . and my two . . . and my three. And it's still not enough. I want my four . . . and five . . . and six.

That said this season has been fun. Listening to the interviews on Patriots Monday is great. Watching Brady stand tall in the pocket as if he has no care in the world is great. And watching Belichick act as if these wins are no big deal when you know he goes home and says to himself "you never should have mentioned the camera" is great.

It is fun. But we're just too good to get giddy over every little win :D

Another thought occurs to me. It seems like this year we have some Patriot trolls, people who really are aggressive towards our own players. I let players sink or swim based on their real world production over two or three seasons, realizing that most players have a long way to go from being a rookie to being the best they can be. But we are hearing a lot of fans jump to conclusions around here on both sides of these issues, and then arguing incessantly about it.

It seems like we got rid of NEM, but then he somehow multiplied. :eek:

Perhaps we are really as spoiled as Yankee fans at this point. I still am thankful for every single victory, and I still don't assume we will simply win every week just because we are wearing the Patriot laundry. Football is a tough sport and I think the fanboy element around here seems to think that everything is to be taken for granted. I see this attitude amoung some of the guys that think they have a lot to say as well. There is no magic carpet ride in a bloodsport like football, and the good times are earned.

One game at a time.

It's the younger generation and the concept of instant gratification. When one examines Asante Samuel's career, one realizes only until his fourth season did Asante Samuel become elite. Meanwhile, the bashing of Maroney and Meriweather incessantly continues to no end.

It's the younger generation and the concept of instant gratification. When one examines Asante Samuel's career, one realizes only until his fourth season did Asante Samuel become elite. Meanwhile, the bashing of Maroney and Meriweather incessantly continues to no end.

Ridiclous no?

But hey what can you ask for if the world was perfect then there would be no need for many things.

I really haven't been reading or watching as much of the analysis on TV as I used to. Its just gotten so stale, you got middle-aged sportswriters having the most contrived arguments about this stuff. I don't have any kids, but if I did I'd feel bad if they wanted to learn about sports and all the great things about it, yet had to rely on whats basically a tabloid TV station for sports now to get that information.

You got a lot of stuff on this board and other Pats fans that just absolutely eat that stuff up. Some of this news is just catering to the lowest common denominator of human being and all anyone here does is post about it and we get a 15 page thread....Any Patriot player who isn't DOMINATING a game people say has been a disappointment or is overpaid...

I dunno, last year it wasn't like this nearly as much despite the fact the team wasn't nearly as good or talented. It seemed like people just enjoyed rooting for the team and that was that....

I dunno, last year it wasn't like this nearly as much despite the fact the team wasn't nearly as good or talented. It seemed like people just enjoyed rooting for the team and that was that....
All it takes is a few posters like NSA and Danny88 to spoil the party ....

Last edited:
All it takes is a few posters like NSA and Danny88 to spoil the party ....

Yeah, but I agree with DougGabriel that it is more than just a few posters. Look at the spygate thing. How many crap threads did we have? Easily a hundred. Probably two hundred. Just to complain that so and so said such and such.

I guess I don't suffer from the problem that others have. I do not own ESPN because I will not pay for them to pipe that **** into my living room. It was a decision that I made. I am not afraid to take a stand. Very few talking heads will be heard or seen in my household. No Felger, no Clayton, no Peter King, no generic sportsguy who doesn't have a grasp on the issues. Not in my house.

And I have never, ever regretted moving on from ESPN. I just somehow have survived without it, and they are not making money off of me. I have to go to a friend's house to catch a game every once in a blue moon, but that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3