PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Howe: Amendola Market Heating Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
$3-5M a year in 2018 for a reliable backup who turns into a stud in the playoffs is not even a bad deal. No real reason for the Patriots not to pursue unless they think they'll find a cheaper equivalent or they think he's about to fall off a cliff.

I would retain him and let him retire when Brady leaves... if you can pay a scrub like Dwayne Allen over $4Mill *yeah I know they play different positions*. But the point you can pay DA $5Mill for what he brings to the Team...he's very Clutch!

I doubt he’s looking for “ big money,” more likely he just wants market value. The Patriots should give him that.

I think the Pat probably paid pretty close to "market value" for a 32-year-old #3 slot receiver in 2017.

Amendola doesn't have the nice regular season stats but he's always there when needed, in regular season games and playoff games.

I think Andrew Luck could really benefit from a slot receiver like him, I thought it was a sure thing Josh would make all efforts to bring him aboard but since Josh told Indy to F themselves, I hope Danny stays.

.. this is the last time he will have a chance for a big money deal.

It seems like I see the phrase "big money deal" in relation to Amendola in every third comment.

Would someone please define what a "big money deal" would be for a soon-to-be 33-year-old, #3/#4 slot receiver? Can you put some years and numbers on that?

Otherwise, using that phrase is pretty pointless.

LOL. Can you put a $ value on that?

Seriously, how many dollars/year for how many years do you think he's expecting?

big money is relative for each player. so whatever maximum amount he is offered is last “big payday” he’ll get. i never said he was going to get Gronk money.

Howe cites no one...he's just driving up the price for Amendola - DA must give Howe lots of quotes...

I think the Pat probably paid pretty close to "market value" for a 32-year-old #3 slot receiver in 2017.
You include a bonus paid years ago. Every year a player is paid new money to play.

Yes, the bonus is part of a contract. HOWEVER, Amendola signed new contract last year and agreed (for the 3rd year in a row to sign a new contract for very low pay). The team was able to get this deal because of Amendola's low market value because of his regular injuries.

Now, we have a new situation. We have 33 year old player who has had a fine year, and a healthy one. He is an accomplished punt returner, and as good a WR as mots have as their #3, or certainly as their #4. He is worth much more new moony that the team paid him in 2017.

He played 2017 for $3.2M, $2.8M of that guaranteed. I'm doubtful that "bouncing for more money" is an enormous likelihood.

Danny Amendola signed a new contract and played 2017 for the following contract below for under $2M.

Bonus money on old contracts is irrelevant. It is part of an old contract that team decided not to honor because he was no longer worth the new money required under the contract.

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Bonus $100K
Salary $1.35M
Incentives - up to $300K
I believe that the $1.45M was guaranteed.
=====
I do NOT expect Amendola to play for this, about the same as he played for in 2016. As Danny said, he want to play for the patriots, but the NFL is a business. The patriots will need to decide how much they are willing to pay. Obviously Amendola is very valuable to us as a #5 WR and a PR. $3M-$5M seems about right. After all, he was supposed to receive over $6M in 2017.

You include a bonus paid years ago. Every year a player is paid new money to play.

Yes, the bonus is part of a contract. HOWEVER, Amendola signed new contract last year and agreed (for the 3rd year in a row to sign a new contract for very low pay). The team was able to get this deal because of Amendola's low market value because of his regular injuries.

Now, we have a new situation. We have 33 year old player who has had a fine year, and a healthy one. He is an accomplished punt returner, and as good a WR as mots have as their #3, or certainly as their #4. He is worth much more new moony that the team paid him in 2017.

Okay, sure. If you don't count the pro-ration payment of the signing bonus from his earlier contract, then his "new money" in 2017 was only $1.25M (fully-guaranteed).

So, then, how much is "much more" new money? My guess would be between $3M and $3.5M, most of it guaranteed. That's 2.5x to nearly 3x the new money that he received last season (and a little more than his net from last season).

Danny Amendola signed a new contract and played 2017 for the following contract below for under $2M.

Bonus money on old contracts is irrelevant. It is part of an old contract that team decided not to honor because he was no longer worth the new money required under the contract.

NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Bonus $100K
Salary $1.35M
Incentives - up to $300K
I believe that the $1.45M was guaranteed.
=====
I do NOT expect Amendola to play for this, about the same as he played for in 2016. As Danny said, he want to play for the patriots, but the NFL is a business. The patriots will need to decide how much they are willing to pay. Obviously Amendola is very valuable to us as a #5 WR and a PR. $3M-$5M seems about right. After all, he was supposed to receive over $6M in 2017.

IIRC, it was a $6.5M salary - on paper, since none of it was guaranteed. So, he effctively exchanged $6.5M non-guaranteed for $1.25M guaranteed, + a $50 "workout bonus" and $300k in weekly active roster bonuses. He missed one game in 2017 (week-2, concussion), so he received $281k in weekly roster bonuses for a grand total of $1.58M of his $3.18M total compensation (for cap purposes).

Again, that's why I'm using that $3.18M total compensation as a target baseline/comparison, since he's not due to receive any further signing bonus money this season.

big money is relative for each player. so whatever maximum amount he is offered is last “big payday” he’ll get. i never said he was going to get Gronk money.

IOW, you have no idea what that "big money" amount may be, so there's no way to reasonably guess whether or not the Pats would be able (or willing) to pay it.

But the implication seems to be that some team will offer him some "big money" that the Pats won't (or can't possibly) pay him ... and we'll lose him.

Offer him 3.5 and he’ll take it. Christ if Brandon freaking Bolden gets paid while Amendola walks.

IIRC, it was a $6.5M salary - on paper, since none of it was guaranteed. So, he effctively exchanged $6.5M non-guaranteed for $1.25M guaranteed, + a $50 "workout bonus" and $300k in weekly active roster bonuses. He missed one game in 2017 (week-2, concussion), so he received $281k in weekly roster bonuses for a grand total of $1.58M of his $3.18M total compensation (for cap purposes).

Again, that's why I'm using that $3.18M total compensation as a target baseline/comparison, since he's not due to receive any further signing bonus money this season.

Amendola played 2017 on a contract that was signed in 2017. The total bonus money on that contract was $100K.
=====
I just don't understand. If Brady signs a new contract this year, and rips up the old contract, would we look at Brady's old contracts to see what money he will be making in 2018?

I have a very different view. Every year, the team looks at how much NEW money that they will pay a player (and the value of the remaining contract years). Then, the team decides whether a player is worth having on the team.

EXAMPLE
If a player is due $3M in the last year in his contract, it is totally irrelevant if he was paid a $20M bonus 3 years ago. If the player is worth $3M, then he plays. If he isn't he doesn't make the 53.

The team negotiates a new contract if they can find a reasonable agreement. Otherwise the player is cut. Players help their cause by putting bonuses in the contract throughout the contract, not just in the first year. If there are none, the team can make the cut decision in August.
==========
Danny was due over $6M in 2017. He wasn't worth the money. His contract was torn up. If Danny thought that he could get $3-5M elsewhere, he wouldn't have signed.

IOW, you have no idea what that "big money" amount may be, so there's no way to reasonably guess whether or not the Pats would be able (or willing) to pay it.

But the implication seems to be that some team will offer him some "big money" that the Pats won't (or can't possibly) pay him ... and we'll lose him.

You make too many assumptions and frankly are making a mountain out of a mole hill

Amendola played 2017 on a contract that was signed in 2017. The total bonus money on that contract was $100K.
=====
I just don't understand. If Brady signs a new contract this year, and rips up the old contract, would we look at Brady's old contracts to see what money he will be making in 2018?

I have a very different view. Every year, the team looks at how much NEW money that they will pay a player (and the value of the remaining contract years). Then, the team decides whether a player is worth having on the team.

EXAMPLE
If a player is due $3M in the last year in his contract, it is totally irrelevant if he was paid a $20M bonus 3 years ago. If the player is worth $3M, then he plays. If he isn't he doesn't make the 53.

The team negotiates a new contract if they can find a reasonable agreement. Otherwise the player is cut. Players help their cause by putting bonuses in the contract throughout the contract, not just in the first year. If there are none, the team can make the cut decision in August.
==========
Danny was due over $6M in 2017. He wasn't worth the money. His contract was torn up. If Danny thought that he could get $3-5M elsewhere, he wouldn't have signed.

I see the disconnect (I think).

I was coming at this only from the Amendola side - the "market value"/expectations angle (since that was what Howe's tweet was about).

No doubt, the Pats side is making the calculations as you suggest.

Then, the questions are, would the Pats go as high as, say, $3.2M? And would Amendola accept something in the $2m-$2.5M range as a sufficient "raise" above the new money he earned in 2017 (if most of it is guaranteed)?

Some other team could conceivably offer Amendola 2 years at a $3.5M AAV with $2M of it guaranteed, structured so that his 2018 cap hit is $2M. But that "AAV" would then be a distinction without a real money difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore