Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How Do You Think the Pats Offense Will "Evolve" in 2012?

• Go back to a WR-dominated spread offense a la 2007-2009

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Keep the 2010-2011 offense but upgrade the WR personnel to use the entire field

Votes: 52 76.5%
  • Create something different than what we've seen before (please specify)

Votes: 13 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As it is in life, so it is in football: everything in moderation, and moderation in everything.

uh...except for one little exception...blondes....blondes in excess and I'm one happy Joe Kerr

I'm a brunette man, Mr.Kerr ;)

Even my precious Scarlett is a true brunette, at least I believe so.

I will agree that many multiple women in excess should never be considered a bad thing though.

I was just reminding the good Captain that there are always exceptions to every rule....blondes, brunettes, redheads...if she's got a wiggle in her walk and agiggle in her talk, I'm on board...the smorgasbord ...and no Swedish meatball jokes from the peanut gallery..:beatingcoming:

Aside from formations, I'm expecting them to improve at executing in a slow tempo. Even more than last year, they'll be the kind of offense that can explode or suck the life out of you - at will.

I think the goal line/short yardage O will change from last year. I expect to see some fullback lead running plays and less Brady sneaks.

I think the goal line/short yardage O will change from last year. I expect to see some fullback lead running plays and less Brady sneaks.

I don't think it will mean anything like that personally. Sneaks aren't often called by the OC...it's just a pre snap read. If the tackles leave your A gaps open you tap the center's arse and go. Brady will always do it if it's open. Almost every time he sneaks they've probably just called something else and he's made the read and opted to go for it himself. It's often a lot easier and simpler than having to hand off in the backfield and give the defense a chance to read, react or blitz!

I'm a brunette man, Mr.Kerr ;)

Even my precious Scarlett is a true brunette, at least I believe so.

I will agree that many multiple women in excess should never be considered a bad thing though.

I was always a brunette man...just don't tell my current girlfriend that!!!

Last edited:
Aside from formations, I'm expecting them to improve at executing in a slow tempo. Even more than last year, they'll be the kind of offense that can explode or suck the life out of you - at will.

I agree - this is going to be fun to watch, IMO...cant wait for next season!

Just my two-cents worth.
1. I suspect we will see an offense with extraordinary emphasis on protecting Tom Brady. This will mean less QB sneaks, continued and maybe even more sets that hold an additional player on the line or backfield to pick up blitzers, etc; and some additional run plays. Not a ground and pound, but hopefully more effective running plays due to higher caliber personnel.
2. Welker has redefined the role of the slot receiver, but now the rest of the league is catching up. NE's offense is no longer a surprise w/Welker, and other teams are now "drafting" their own poor copies of WW. Teams are getting better at defending him, with a few actually having some success. Time to change things up a bit. I suspect this is a year where we will see tweaks that lessen our dependence on the slot receiver. If successful then we may actually be in the last year of Welker's NEP career.
3. I think the biggest offensive change up will be a continued and expanded TE role in the offense. I suspect we will be seeing 3 TE sets with a lot of longer downfield routes that isolate Gronk & Hernandez on LBs and safetys. Gronk killed the league in seam routes. Hernandez always seemed to find a hole in the defense. We never have been able to find the effective "big" (6'4" 220# 4.4 sec) receiver so why not focus on superior TE's and feature the big bodies that can catch, but also have the additional capabilities of on the line blocking. More TE downfield routes, more TE screens, and even a few TE runs (although I worry about Hernandez in that role as well). Lloyd does his thing and may have a great year, but the best thing he does is open up the TE routes.
4. Although this may be viewed as heretical, with the depth this team has on offense I think we actually may see some players "rested" during the season by game plan design. And I actually think this includes TB. You can't avoid the injuries, but you can allow players to become less beat up.
5. McDaniels will have a field day with this offense. BB will be all over the defense. Fun times are a'coming.

An interesting take on the evolution of the offense:

New England begins the next phase of offensive evolution

An interesting thought. The article was written prior to the start of free agency this year. Chad Ochocinco was the only veteran WR on the roster over 6' last year (I'm not counting Taylor Price or Tiquan Underwood). Wes Welker, Deion Branch and Julian Edelman are all 5'10" or less. Brandon Lloyd, Anthony Gonzalez and Donte Stallworth are a 6', and Jabar Gaffney is 6'2". All either have experience with Josh McDaniels' offense or have shown smarts and the ability to digest a playbook (Gonzalez). All have the ability to read coverages and make adjustments. And while they aren't 4.3 burners, all have the ability to create separation.

The only problem I have with the article is that any 6'+, 4.3 speed, able to digest a huge playbook and make complex site adjustments wr is a top 5 pick and a top of the line free agent. You are basically talking about Calvin and Andre Johnson. Every team in the league wants guys like them; they are not somehow a better fit for NE. It is a little like saying you are looking for a durable 5'10 225 lb RB who runs a 4.4, has good vision, decisiveness, and determination, can read cut backs, has good hands and excells is pass protection.

The only problem I have with the article is that any 6'+, 4.3 speed, able to digest a huge playbook and make complex site adjustments wr is a top 5 pick and a top of the line free agent. You are basically talking about Calvin and Andre Johnson. Every team in the league wants guys like them; they are not somehow a better fit for NE. It is a little like saying you are looking for a durable 5'10 225 lb RB who runs a 4.4, has good vision, decisiveness, and determination, can read cut backs, has good hands and excells is pass protection.

I get your general point, but I'm not sure I entirely agree. Consider:

- AJ Jenkins, Illinois. 6' 190#. 4.39 40, 6.73 3-cone, 38.5" vertical. Projected as a day 2 pick but went #30 to SF.
- Danny Coale, Virginia Tech. 6' 201#. 4.37 40, 6.64 3-cone, 37" vertical. Taken by Dallas at #152 in the 5th round.
- Chris Owusu, Stanford. 6' 196#. 4.36 40, 6.85 3-cone, 40.5" vertical. Once projected as a day 2 pick prior to incurring multiple concussions. Medically "cleared" but undrated, signed as a UDFA by San Francisco.

All 3 guys were known for good route running, diagnostic skills, and smarts. Jim Harbaugh picked up 2 of them.

In general, though, I think that the criteria that probably would be shaded the most is the 4.3 speed. Getting separation from DBs is critical, but there are lots of ways to achieve that besides pure vertical speed - cutting quickness, vertical ability (height + jumping), size, etc. Brandon Lloyd certainly doesn't have 4.3 speed by any stretch of the imagination, but he is quite effective at getting separation, and he meets all of the other criteria.

Bucky Brooks of NFL.com predicts that 2-TE offenses will take the NFL "by storm" in 2012:

With the two-tight end package set to take the league by storm, here are three reasons why the strategy poses problems for the defense:

1. The use of "12" personnel neutralizes the effectiveness of eight-man fronts against the run.

Offensive coordinators originally broached the idea of using "12" personnel to counter the eight-man fronts utilized by defensive coaches to stop the run. Defenses routinely drop an extra defender into the box to fill the eight gaps along the front line (each area between two offensive linemen/tight end is considered a gap and defenders are assigned a gap responsibility in a one-gap scheme). Against two-back formations, the addition of an extra defender gives the defense a numerical advantage at the point of attack, ensuring a free defender to the ball. However, the deployment of multiple tight ends along the line of scrimmage nullifies that advantage and creates big-play opportunities in the run game.

2. Formation flexibility with "12" personnel poses problems defending the passing game.

One of the benefits of utilizing "12" personnel is the ability for the offense to utilize a variety of base and spread formations without shuttling different personnel into the game. The H-back plays the role of a fullback, wide receiver or second tight end in the package, aligning in various spots within the formation to create problems for the defense. Offensive coordinators are tapping into that versatility by featuring a variety of open formations with the tight end deployed as quasi-receivers. By opening the formation, the offensive coordinator makes it easy for the quarterback to diagnose the coverage and creates potential mismatches in space.

3. The size and athleticism of the "move" tight end creates matchup problems for defensive coordinators.

Two tight end formations will hit NFL by storm in 2012 - NFL.com

The article has a lot more detail. It's a nice read. In the case of the Pats, the size and athleticism of Gronk also creates matchup problems for defensive coordinators.

I don't think it will mean anything like that personally. Sneaks aren't often called by the OC...it's just a pre snap read. If the tackles leave your A gaps open you tap the center's arse and go. Brady will always do it if it's open. Almost every time he sneaks they've probably just called something else and he's made the read and opted to go for it himself. It's often a lot easier and simpler than having to hand off in the backfield and give the defense a chance to read, react or blitz!

I was always a brunette man...just don't tell my current girlfriend that!!!

Very valid point in regards to Brady as the one making that call, and the success of the play is hard to argue against.

I do however, get the feeling that we will at least see that in a more limited role though; as it does reek of playing with fire or going to the well one too many times.

Another thought is that we could have a FB line up in a short yardage situation, thus making the defense think that it's going to him, only to see #12 dive through the gap to pick it up. I just don't want to see it in situations where it isn't absolutely necessary, that's all.

Then again, try telling TFB what is 'necessary' and what isn't, as far as picking up a first down...even up 28-13 late in the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back