PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How do we attack Minnesota's D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to FootballOutsider's Defense Vs. Type of WRs stats, the Vikings are the top team in the league vs. RBs and the 5th best team in the league at defending TEs -- which would imply they're pretty good at blowing up or containing screens.

They've been hurt by some #1 WRs, and have had some problems defending against slot WRs in multiple receiver sets.

We will win this game thru the air.

5-wide sets and 4-wide shotgun with Faulk or Dillon in the backfield to block, and then sneak into the flat as a safety valve.

With all the talk about how Brady hasn't "connected" with his receiving corp, it's the perfect time to prove them wrong. Brown, Jackson, Caldwell and Gabriel may be the best receiving corp we've had in years, top to bottom. Add in Watson, Thomas and Faulk, and we've got too many weapons in the passing game to matchup.

Throw in a screen pass every now and again to take the bite off the pass rush, and run the hurry up to get into a rhythm... get those DBs a little winded. We have the edge in conditioning.

bunzoburns said:
Do you guys have any thoughts on how to attack the Minnesota's D?

Perhaps we run some no huddle to get the guys up front a little winded?
Establish the pass?
Get the running backs involved in a passing attack?

Minnesota likes to bring pressure and will leave their CBs in man coverage. Its imperative for us to pick up the blitz and for our WRs to beat the man coverage (hello Chad Jackson.)

Given the Vikes propensity to blitz, faulk should see a lot of balls coming his way. I think the Vikes will leave Jackson and gabriel in man coverage so Brady is going to have to hit a few long passes to the wide-outs to force the Vikes out of their defensive scheme. Once that happens, there should be room to run to the outside and tire those big fatties in the middle out then in the 4th qtr it will be a steady dose of Dillon up the gut. The key is that Jackson and gabriel will have to win their one on one battles. Brady is going to have to throw the ball up there and trust that his wideouts will out fight the DBs for the ball.

Fans mustn't confuse wishes with plans. I.e., "get up by 3 scores and then ...",
or "get good field position on kicks and then ..."

Not only must analysis recognize that the Patriots are up against a team of other skilled professionals
... but we must acknowledge the environment.

It's Monday Night Football in their dome.
The crowd is going to be full ... juiced ... and loud.
Therefore, forget the audibles. And the no-huddle would be handicapped.

All four lines (their O and D, and ours) are strong. Each will make good plays.
Neither should dominate, except in streaks.

I agree that getting the ball to the outside is needed.
As the Vikes soon will recognize us doing ... and then adjust.

Thus, the game would tend to come down to sight adjustments by Tom and the new WRs.
It was encouraging to see the improvement in their coordination at Buffalo.
They'll have to do it in Minny without benefit of verbal instructions from Brady.

Will Tom and the receivers
read the same defensive sets, and silently make the proper adjustments?
I think THAT is what this game hinges on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back