PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hernandez family suing Patriots because Hernandez had CTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a number of extreme criminal behavior types over the years.

Could Rae Carruth have CTE? Or Lawrence Philips? Cecil The Diesel Collins???

There were a lot of behaviors that are difficult to explain.

IDK. How we know drugs didn't play a part? Hernandez was likely a heavy drug user

A slippery slope which is impossible to prove

This has to be a loser. From Hernandez's love of using Angel Dust and the fact he showed violent behavior prior to joining the NFL, it will be hard to prove that he got CTE in the NFL or that CTE caused him to kill or kill himself.

Very interesting, but look at those sample sizes. (To be fair, it's an unavoidable problem when dealing with dead brains. The CTE studies where n>100 are actually huge by the standards of the field.)

But in any case the effect sizes on this are pretty small. These are small but statistically discernible differences from normal aging processes, not the major tau deposits you'd see present with CTE.

Very interesting, but look at those sample sizes. (To be fair, it's an unavoidable problem when dealing with dead brains. The CTE studies where n>100 are actually huge by the standards of the field.)

But in any case the effect sizes on this are pretty small. These are small but statistically discernible differences from normal aging processes, not the major tau deposits you'd see present with CTE.
Agree. It's far from conclusive but makes sense if you understand how tau is created.

I had a family member who recently passed away from Alzheimer's and my cousin told me this and i dug a little...

he didn't seem to have any difficulties planning Lloyd's murder....

What you said doesn't mean what you want it to mean.

If he didn't have problem planning the kill, it wouldn't have happened down the block from his house.

I blame it on prison sex.

Regards,
Chris

Now that CTE is being linked to damage done pre-puberty, the science on this is going to get interesting. Epigenetics is only just getting started. There is now clear evidence of genes being marked and passed down by chemical exposures three generations upstream. Imagine what they'll learn about the nuances of brain chemistry interactions with genetic material in the coming decades.

Hernandez was demented long before he got to NE.

bad news for the rest of you people...I, Joe Kerr, have decided to sue EVERYBODY for every single bad thing, every loss, every heartbreak and every disappointment I've ever had. So PAY UP!.(I'm doing this because I'm too lazy and too stupid to continue my rock star lifestyle on my own...)

Charles Whitman had a brain tumor and went on an infamous killing spree (even writing a note prior to the killing spree to study his brain).
One professor of medicine states the following on the complexity of an A to B connection with his brain issue and psychotic behavior. Although this is a tumor versus CTE I suspect the similar complexity exists with AH and his suggested CTE:

"N. Bradley Keele, an associate professor at Baylor College of Medicine, takes a more skeptical point of view. Keele, who studies the amygdala, said that although the location of the tumor could have affected Whitman’s behavior, it is unlikely that it was the sole reason for his actions or even an important contributing factor.

“Yes, he had an aggressive, malignant tumor in his temporal lobe that could have impacted his bizarre and violent behavior,” Keele said. “However, what is often overlooked is that he came from a very abusive home, and admitted to domestic violence with his own wife prior to stabbing her. I suspect his tumor was little more than ‘circumstantial.’”"

thing is there's no way at present to know how the two causes of tau deposition (head trauma and drugs) interact. There could be synergy that turns that small but statistically significant effect from the drugs into a multiplier for the effects of head trauma.

also we do not know if AH got whupped upside the head as a gang banger, totally apart from football. Nor do we know what kind of knocks on the noggin he received as a schoolboy footballer.

Lots of factors at play. Unlikely his lawsuit will prevail, but there will be a lot of well earned negative publicity.

We will see the NFL become flag football in our lifetimes. The liability on this is too great.

I've made similar comments to friends and relatives. I suppose the one counterargument is that boxing still exists as a sport.

If Hernandez got his cte from his short career in the NFL than everyone has it. Period.

If Hernandez got his cte from his short career in the NFL than everyone has it. Period.

It's scary but I am very cautious as well because Hernandez used some heavy drugs including angel dust.

While the crimes AH purportedly committed are inexcusable and horrifying, there is far more being reported that is just as terrifying. I heard the news claim that the doc reported AH's cte stage to be something he expected in a 67 year old. I believe someone mentioned AH stopped playing at age 23. He had stage 3 cte in a 27 year old brain. Junior Seau has been mentioned, who had stage 4 cte after 13 years in the nfl. He took his life at age 43.

Think about that for a minute. Disregard any thoughts re "the 32," or AH's miserable choices and actions as an adult.

My mother expressed some worry about myself and my younger brother who played football growing up. Both limited to the HS level. If an old lady with grown son's is wondering about the impact of youth sports on her grown children, the sport is in trouble.

I have a 3 year old son, I don't want him to play youth football. If he wants to in HS, I'd say yes right now. Although that depends when he hits puberty and truely starts developing.

AH stopped playing at age 23 and had stage 3 CTE at age 27.

Maybe he had a head injury from whatever caused his trip to the hospital while in jail. He supposedly beat on a guy at one point too, who knows what physically happened to his head while in prison.

A 27 year old was deemed to have acute CTE. That is the real story here. Disregard the name, disregard the lawsuit.

Did the fact that the player entered the nfl so young contribute to the advanced stages? I remember many of "us fans" expounding on how young he was and extrapolating performances based on "more experience." To me the big story is what was found. Someone has been spouting off about smoking and drugs, but the only case showing tau deposits re drug use is heroin, at this point. Given heroin is an opiate, I wouldn't be shocked if prescription pain killers caused the same issue. If heroin truely causes this, and there is a link to opiates, I doubt we'd ever hear it (pharmaceutical industry anyone? Why aren't docs ever charged for writing absurd scripts for pain killers?). How you can determine heroin caused tau deposits is above my pay grade. So how about we leave that out, and acknowledge that a person sustained enough damage to their melon by age 23 (more possible physical trauma thereafter is acknowledged) to have stage 3 cte.

It feels like many docs are cautioning any type of repetitive "trauma" (heading a soccer ball, for example) in young children more and more, citing developing brains.

As intricate and complex as a mind and personality can be, it is ultimately a lump of soft tissue, in a sac of fluid, inside a shell. The mind is so nuanced we as a society can't agree on what gender somebody is, physiology be damned, with supposed "healthy" brains. Damage the organ responsible for all of that?

A 27 year old's brain was deemed to have advanced CTE, that is the story.

Last edited:
Couldnt care less.

If the NFL loses this one it is their own fault for ignoring this issue and trying to bury it for decades instead of actually working together with scientists and affected people. If you ignore an issue it generally doesnt go away but grows bigger and might just kill you at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents