Free Agency - Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
PHASE 1
There are 6 weeks of free agency before the draft. We have just about finished the first two, the time when there is all the action. I would consider the resolution of Freeney, Osi and Abraham part of Phase 1.

PHASE 2
Now comes the longer, more boring part of free agency. This is the time when Belichick finds guys like Vrabel, Ninkovich, Thomas and others. Backups, camp fodder, and acmp competition will be brought in. Dozens of wide receivers and defensive backs will try out (or at least be interviewed); many will make it to camp.

PHASE 3
The week before the draft, teams will make their decisions on RFA's. Offers will be made and matched, as is usually the case. There will be trades before and during the draft.

PHASE 4
After the draft, teams will re-assess and acquire players as needed, as in Phase 2.

I think the interesting part is that we are by your timelines barely into phase 2 (or even still in phase one).

But that almost every position is stocked with starters except WR.

QB - Brady.

RB - we return our top option Ridley and have a Young Vareen and veteran Washington to round out the group with Bolden as a back up.

WR - Might need two starters here depending on your opinion of Amendola. but at the least 2 of the 5 spots would seem to be filled by Amendola and Jones(If I had my choice we would have two starters that are better than these two as flankers and split ends and Amendola would be a back up and a slot receiever when we go 3 wide).

TE - Gronknandez and our back ups from last year plus Ballard.

OL - Returns all 5 starters and Cannon as top depth. (still need some depth but not a worry).

DL - Returns all its starters in Jones, Ninko, Vince, And Love. plus we return our top depth in Cunningham and Francis and add in Armstead as depth.

LB - Returns all its starters in Hightower, Mayo, Spikes

DBs - Returns all starters in Talib, Dennard, McCourty, Arrington, and Gregory. And adds a veteran to compete with Gregory as starter and/or coverage LB.

Looking at this clearly WR is the biggest need. I think we would like to add depth or even bump Love and Ninko down to role players (Ninkos role still being pretty big). Depending on if Ninko is bumped from starting DE or not we would need some added depth at LB (either way really but if Ninko doesnt start at DE he can be used as an OLB too). should add some competition and depth to the corner group. Interior OL depth.

Abraham, Sanders, and Lloyd/Edelman
Draft a DB, WR, DL, LB
Laugh all the way to the bank

WR - Might need two starters here depending on your opinion of Amendola. but at the least 2 of the 5 spots would seem to be filled by Amendola and Jones(If I had my choice we would have two starters that are better than these two as flankers and split ends and Amendola would be a back up and a slot receiever when we go 3 wide).

Looking at this clearly WR is the biggest need. I think we would like to add depth or even bump Love and Ninko down to role players (Ninkos role still being pretty big). Depending on if Ninko is bumped from starting DE or not we would need some added depth at LB (either way really but if Ninko doesnt start at DE he can be used as an OLB too). should add some competition and depth to the corner group. Interior OL depth.

I don't understand your statement "depending on your opinion of Amendola." Amendola is clearly a starter on this roster. He will be the highest paid WR on the roster - without question. Like many I wish it was it was Welker and not Amendola, but I understand the decision and there is no way they can afford or a looking for two starters. Whether Amendola can stay on the field (my only concern about the guy) remains to be seen. i want to see an additional starter quality wideout - I bet it is Lloyd at a reduced price.

I would be very surprised if Ninko is not the starting DE. BB loves the guy.

I expect another corner will be signed.

We are in fine shape with $12M still available to spend. A restructure can take care of late costs.

DEFENSE
We have brought last year's team plus Wilson, Armstead, Fletcher and possibly even Dowling and/or Pryor. We would all like to see upgrades at DT and/or DE. Both a signee and a draftee seems likely. Also, as Reiss keeps reminding us, we need another corner (backup outside) in case of injury.

OFFENSE
We now have the worst wide receiver set among playoff teams. Amendola is a slot receiver (who can play a bit outside) who has had 2 injuries in two years. Jones is minor addition who will compete with JAG free agents for a roster spot, and who should be an OK replacement for Branch. I see us having 5 receivers, if only because the receivers won't know the system or Brady. And considering Vereen or Slater as wide receiver substitutes just isn't right. It is asking enough of Vereen to expect him to be our 3rd down back and change of pace back.

I think the interesting part is that we are by your timelines barely into phase 2 (or even still in phase one).

But that almost every position is stocked with starters except WR.

QB - Brady.

RB - we return our top option Ridley and have a Young Vareen and veteran Washington to round out the group with Bolden as a back up.

TE - Gronknandez and our back ups from last year plus Ballard.

OL - Returns all 5 starters and Cannon as top depth. (still need some depth but not a worry).

DL - Returns all its starters in Jones, Ninko, Vince, And Love. plus we return our top depth in Cunningham and Francis and add in Armstead as depth.

LB - Returns all its starters in Hightower, Mayo, Spikes

DBs - Returns all starters in Talib, Dennard, McCourty, Arrington, and Gregory. And adds a veteran to compete with Gregory as starter and/or coverage LB.

We are in fine shape with $12M still available to spend. A restructure can take care of late costs.

Simply cutting Daniel Fells anytime before the final roster announcement would create enough for the reserve

I don't think that cutting Fells is enough. We need to cover the following: Player 52, Player 53, the Practice Squad, replacements for camp injuries (not net since the players will be on IR), and in-season reserve. This is in addition to the $1M net amount needed for rookies. Miguel has estimated that about $3M is reasonable plus money for the rookies.

A Mankins restructure would work.

Simply cutting Daniel Fells anytime before the final roster announcement would create enough for the reserve

I don't understand your statement "depending on your opinion of Amendola." Amendola is clearly a starter on this roster. He will be the highest paid WR on the roster - without question. Like many I wish it was it was Welker and not Amendola, but I understand the decision and there is no way they can afford or a looking for two starters. Whether Amendola can stay on the field (my only concern about the guy) remains to be seen. i want to see an additional starter quality wideout - I bet it is Lloyd at a reduced price.

I would be very surprised if Ninko is not the starting DE. BB loves the guy.

I expect another corner will be signed.

That statement was meant to be taken 2 ways.

1) some people are concerned about his injury risk and wont want to count on him as a starter.

2) but what I was really getting at is the balance that people have been looking for. To eliminate some of the redundencies over the middle of the field. Its why I included the terms Flanker and Split End in my comments.

My preference for moving on from Wes would be to have Amendola replace him as the slot receiver but to move away from using the slot receiver as much as we did in the past because it is a little redundant to the 2 TE in that they will work similar space on the field.

I would like to get a Flanker and Split End that are better than Amendola at this role. And as a base offense I would consider the two TE and a split end and flanker to be the starters.

That statement was meant to be taken 2 ways.

1) some people are concerned about his injury risk and wont want to count on him as a starter.

2) but what I was really getting at is the balance that people have been looking for. To eliminate some of the redundencies over the middle of the field. Its why I included the terms Flanker and Split End in my comments.

My preference for moving on from Wes would be to have Amendola replace him as the slot receiver but to move away from using the slot receiver as much as we did in the past because it is a little redundant to the 2 TE in that they will work similar space on the field.

I would like to get a Flanker and Split End that are better than Amendola at this role. And as a base offense I would consider the two TE and a split end and flanker to be the starters.

OK - I just don't see there is any chance of this happening given what they paid Amendola. If they were going to go this direction, they should have let Welker walk, avoid paying for Amendola, sign Edelman on the cheap and hunt for the big fast and expensive widouts.

But, one of the supposed "advanages" of Amendola compared to Welker is better top speed and a little more size. I can see them try to do what you say, but they will do so with Amendola. I agree the Pats base is the two TE set. I expect Amendola to be one of the two wideouts working out of this base set in most circumstances.

Also, Brady reads the hot play as well as anyone. The Pats will need to prove that they can still burn a team when you go after them and Amendola figures to be the new guy that Brady relies on to make that read, get early seperation in one on one coverage and make the catch. No one is better than Welker at this and it remains to be seen whether Amendola can get the job done. Once the Pats prove they burn you when you blitz, I look for Amendola to chose routes further down the field like you are hoping.

To me, the injury risk is the obvious issue with Amendola.

DEFENSE
We have brought last year's team plus Wilson, Armstead, Fletcher and possibly even Dowling and/or Pryor. We would all like to see upgrades at DT and/or DE. Both a signee and a draftee seems likely. Also, as Reiss keeps reminding us, we need another corner (backup outside) in case of injury.

OFFENSE
We now have the worst wide receiver set among playoff teams. Amendola is a slot receiver (who can play a bit outside) who has had 2 injuries in two years. Jones is minor addition who will compete with JAG free agents for a roster spot, and who should be an OK replacement for Branch. I see us having 5 receivers, if only because the receivers won't know the system or Brady. And considering Vereen or Slater as wide receiver substitutes just isn't right. It is asking enough of Vereen to expect him to be our 3rd down back and change of pace back.

It would appear that WR/DL are obviously the two biggest needs, not only currently but also for the future. I believe that we will be addressing these 2 positions in both the draft and free agency.

Other than that, we're making smaller-ish type signings for vet competition at WR/DL and mainly drafting for the future.

I think we can view drafting for the future picks at OL, DB, maybe even LB or TE, but the obvious 2 positions that need addressed for now and the future are definitely at WR and DL--and even then we'll be bringing in multiple vets for competition at both of those spots through free agency too.

The team is definitely in good shape for the next handful of yrs in my opinion, both financially and talent-wise. It seems as though some posters here will be shocked at how quickly a few draft picks and a few free agent signings add to things overall.

OK - I just don't see there is any chance of this happening given what they paid Amendola. If they were going to go this direction, they should have let Welker walk, avoid paying for Amendola, sign Edelman on the cheap and hunt for the big fast and expensive widouts.

But, one of the supposed "advanages" of Amendola compared to Welker is better top speed and a little more size. I can see them try to do what you say, but they will do so with Amendola. I agree the Pats base is the two TE set. I expect Amendola to be one of the two wideouts working out of this base set in most circumstances.

I definitely agree that we'll be using Amendola in place of Welker and the coaching staff will even be looking at him as a potential upgrade in many ways, as strange as that may sound to those unfamiliar with him. I think that this type of quick paced offense is certainly going to rely on the use of hot reads and the same kind of chain moving catches from Amendola as the past re:Welker.

One thing they'll likely try to avoid is an overreliance on the shorter game though, although the success could be argued with the absence of Gronk.

I think they'll want to see a potential upgrade from Llyod's skillset, maybe not in "name" or reputation, but in what they are asking the WR2 to do. That is easier said than done, as Llyod was very good as certain aspects. He also lacked in other areas too however.

To me, the injury risk is the obvious issue with Amendola.

This is just one of the reasons why I would like to see Edelman retained, along with his ST ability, and continued progression as more of an outside WR in the likes of a Brian Hartline etc. I would feel much more comfortable having Edelman come back, and he could likely step in for Amendola should he go down for a handful of games. That said, I am also not as worried as many others about Amendola's injuries in the past couple of yrs. That neck injury last year was thought to be season ending at one point, and yet he came back in 5 games. He's tougher than some are giving credit for.

Pats should sign a guy like tommy kelly or seymour(if he even wants to come back) if the price is right. Imagine one of them next to vince, it would really open stuff up for the edge rushers

Pats should sign a guy like tommy kelly or seymour(if he even wants to come back) if the price is right. Imagine one of them next to vince, it would really open stuff up for the edge rushers

I think that's a great point, but there's no chance that Richard Seymour will be back here. There was bad blood when he was actually part of the team, let alone when he was released. He even made the comment that he'd never consider coming back here etc, but it won't matter because Belichick would never consider bringing him back.

It'd take both sides to make it happen, and right now you have zero sides who would even consider it.

I do certainly agree with the thought of adding some DT/DE talent with a couple/few veteran signings though, along with a draft pick.

According to Pro Football Talk - Oakland is going to release Tommy Kelly. I think there will continue to be a few good vet FAs out there. It is a matter of finding the right guys for the right price.

Raiders to release Tommy Kelly | ProFootballTalk

Obviously Pats 2 biggest needs as of now are WR and DL. I expect Edelman to be back, Lloyd still a question mark. I've kinda lost hope on sanders coming here. Regardless whether we acquire Sanders or not I do think we'll address WR in the draft, but not on the first day. Its just never seems to be something Belichick as done. This draft seems to be one that's loaded with interior linemen talent. I don't see BB passing one up unless a player the team absolutely loves falls on their lap.

I'd love for the team to address more depth at DB. Preferably at safety. I loved the Adrian Wilson pickup, but I'm not sold on T.Wilson or Ebner, and I'm not a fan of Gregory. I might be in the minority but I do think Mccourty could still be a good CB and he can move their in case of an emergency. Everyone complains about our CB play but our safety play been just as bad if not worse throughout the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST