PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Film breakdown: flats/slants vs cover 3

Great find. This should be required reading for every Pats fan. Not only does he go into great detail to explain WHY this strategy works, he goes into the small details that explain how the Pats maximize what amounts to a very simple and obvious strategy.

This is a great article. I had no idea of some of these finesses. I can see the perfect timing, the ball inexorably moving up the field, the frustration in the faces of the secondary - but the fine details are lost.

It's funny how the article says that one reason QBs throw too many deep passes is because "fans like to see them"! Belichick though, he just likes to win.

Last edited:
Great find, a must read. Thank you for sharing.

Should be mandatory reading for every yahoo who thinks they'd be a better OC than Josh because they make great play calls in Madden.

One other note. The author mentions in "play 3" there (slant TD from Brady) that the LT pulled the jersey of the defensive back to force him down, keeping the low passing lane clear for the slant throw. Author mentions that a cut block is also used by McDaniel in that situation.

That reminds, my second favorite play of the season, the Edelman pass, had that cut block by Solder against Suggs a key part of the play-calling: it stops Suggs from jumping up and blocking the passing lane to Edelman from Brady.

I just don't think most offensive lines have the ability to even conceive of keeping track of the passing lanes on each play call and which OT has to throw what kind of block to keep that passing lane open.

I cannot believe the depth and intricacy of the Pats this last post-season.

One other note. The author mentions in "play 3" there (slant TD from Brady) that the LT pulled the jersey of the defensive back to force him down, keeping the low passing lane clear for the slant throw. Author mentions that a cut block is also used by McDaniel in that situation.

That reminds, my second favorite play of the season, the Edelman pass, had that cut block by Solder against Suggs a key part of the play-calling: it stops Suggs from jumping up and blocking the passing lane to Edelman from Brady.

I just don't think most offensive lines have the ability to even conceive of keeping track of the passing lanes on each play call and which OT has to throw what kind of block to keep that passing lane open.

The coaches and players make millions. If your LT can't remember to go low on plays x y or z? Cmon now.

A superb game plan that required patience & trust. They saw that it was working throughout the first 3 quarters, as the Pats moved the ball well. The interceptions notwithstanding.

But the game plan required something else: Brady subsuming his ego for the good of the team. I had told friends that I'd be really happy if Brady never threw at Sherman. It's got to be tough for a top notch pro to not give into the ego boost of "I can beat this guy."

When I heard, during the LAST scoring drive late in the 4th quarter, Chris Collingsworth say that Brady had thrown at Sherman "one time, for 6 yards", and Al Michaels say, "it's all Sherman can do not to get bored", I realized how well Brady had kept his own ego in check for the good of the team.

What a great game.!

One minor issue with the article is that it doesn't usually say where the plays' gifs are from, so it can take a little time to find the video from the game. Here's a list I made of where and when the plays listed in that article occured with a few short notes. Play 8 was one of my favorite of the SB actually, one of Edelman's crisp quick plays.

Play 1: Carolina-Seattle, Divisional 1/1/15 2Q 7:55

Play 2: SB 1q 3:38, Amendola

Play 3: SB 2q 9:51 Lafell TD

Play 4: SB 1Q 14:51 Amendola, cut block on Irvin Seattle 51

Play 5: SB 2Q 8:05 incomplete to Gronkowski, pass blocked by McDaniel Seattle 99 [Why no cut block?]

Play 6: SB 2Q 12:45 curl route, LaFell

Play 7: SB 3Q 11:09 Flat, Edelman, cut block by Solder, tackle by Chancellor

Play 8 and pic above play 8: SB 4Q 5:32 rub/Gronk, note yards after catch Edelman in flat

Pic below play 8: probably broncos SB

Play 9 and pic above play 9: 4Q, next play after play 8, Vereen screen, missed cut block by Vollmer 76

That was absolutely a great read. Thanks for the link.

Yes, this is essential reading. And it is a perfect antidote to the appeals for a bright shiny new star WR. There are lots of them in this league who simply couldn't or wouldn't sublimate their need for personal glory to play in that system.

Giving this brilliant read a bump. What a breath of fresh air that was.

I think this article shows a lot of why the coaches think better of Solder than a simple eye test might suggest.

This is my Madden '15 strategy

Great read.

The coaches and players make millions. If your LT can't remember to go low on plays x y or z? Cmon now.
Yep. Cutting the d end on throws to the flats is rather commonplace. Of course BB and company are still often 2 steps ahead of the opposition.

Cutting the d end on throws to the flats is rather commonplace.

Then what in your opinion is the underlying reason for the success of the Pats slant-flat?

Kim gives five examples of "details" by McDaniel that lead to the success of the play:

1. cut block or holding down DE by LT;
  2. draw play-fake to misplace DB;
  3. RB screen right combined with fake look left when SS adjusts to stop flat/slant;
  4. yards after catch ability in receivers;
  5. play call strategy designed to win game not get on TV highlight show, please fans, or increase receiver contract value.

Although not stated by Kim explicitly, another reason IMHO is Brady just reads more accurately, releases quicker, and throws more accurately than other QBs (e.g., Wilson was slow to release, misread coverage, and misthrew/misaimed when he attempted his own short slant during one particular play in the SB, can't quite remember which one :) ).

Do you have other reasons?

Then in your opinion what is the underlying reason for the success of the Pats slant-flat? Kim gives five examples of "details" by McDaniel that lead to the success of the play:

1. cut block or holding down DE by LT;
  2. draw play-fake to misplace DB;
  3. RB screen right combined with fake look left when SS adjusts to stop flat/slant;
  4. yards after catch ability in receivers;
  5. play call strategy designed to win game not get on TV highlight show, please fans, or increase receiver contract value.

Although not stated by Kim explicitly, another reason IMHO is Brady just reads more accurately, releases quicker, and throws more accurately than other QBs (e.g., Wilson was slow to release, misread coverage, and misthrew/misaimed when he attempted his own short slant during one particular play in the SB, can't quite remember which one :) ).

Do you have other reasons?
All those reasons still apply. And as you stated Tom's precision accuracy is huge along with our receivers short area quickness. And it still takes good execution by the OL to keep the dline out of the lanes. Ultimately I think it came down to high level of execution across the board rather than the pats doing something groundbreaking schemewise. Although they of course threw in some wrinkles as always

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back