PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this draft has immense talent/potential at the WR position, two receivers I like, but not particularly fond of are Keon Coleman (FSU) and Troy Franklin (Oregon).
Xavier Leggette could be a 4.30ish 40 A.J. Brown, who you could sometimes use out of the backfield as an HB like Deebo (just don't overuse him like that because you have no backfield talent).

If you can get one of the top 5 pass catchers, Bowers included, you do it. After that it’s dealer’s choice between 2nd and mid 4th.

One of the absurd things about the Patriots is that so many fans insist they will overvalue white WRs.

Just because Welker, Edelman and Amendola had success in New England, it doesn't mean this team places a higher value on those players than anyone else would.

Welker was just as successful with the Broncos, and Amendola had very good and similar years after leaving the Patriots as well.

I'm looking at the consensus draft class where Drake Maye is now 3rd behind J Daniels as far as the mocks are concerned. But I'm also looking at Florida's Pearsall being the most mocked player for the Patriots at 34.

So I checked to see where these same mock draft guys had Pearsall ranked on the talent chart. He's the 55th best player, and yet these same guys think the Patriots are going to reach for him at #34. Why? Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Xavier Legette, Keon Coleman and Roman Wilson are still available. And they're all ranked higher in talent than Pearsall.

One of these is not like the others.

You have to be careful with statistics here. Part of the reason a QB sitting a year might be helpful is that, typically, it's because the team has the luxury of doing that and is a competitive team in that transition period.

One of the absurd things about the Patriots is that so many fans insist they will overvalue white WRs.

Just because Welker, Edelman and Amendola had success in New England, it doesn't mean this team places a higher value on those players than anyone else would.

Welker was just as successful with the Broncos, and Amendola had very good and similar years after leaving the Patriots as well.

I'm looking at the consensus draft class where Drake Maye is now 3rd behind J Daniels as far as the mocks are concerned. But I'm also looking at Florida's Pearsall being the most mocked player for the Patriots at 34.

So I checked to see where these same mock draft guys had Pearsall ranked on the talent chart. He's the 55th best player, and yet these same guys think the Patriots are going to reach for him at #34. Why? Xavier Worthy, Troy Franklin, Xavier Legette, Keon Coleman and Roman Wilson are still available. And they're all ranked higher in talent than Pearsall.

One of these is not like the others.
No one that matters thinks the Pats should pick Pearsall that high. McConkey maybe but not Pearsall. He’s A LOT more likely to be mocked with 3rd round pick but not 2nd. And in 3rd round case it’s because the other receivers are unlikely to still be there.

Before we get too excited about getting a “haul” by trading the #3 pick / here’s a little Patriots draft history to ponder.

In 1990 we had the #3 pick and at that time were desperate to improve the defense. There was a DT named Cortez Kennedy who the experts “mocked” to us but there was a lot of talk about trading down with the chance to get 2 picks in the top-10. What could go wrong doing that!! We made the trade with Seattle that netted the Pats the 8th and 10th pick and we selected LB Chris Singleton with the 8th and DT Ray Agnew with the 10th pick. Defense fixed right?! Well, not exactly.

Seattle took Cortez Kennedy who ended up on the 1990’s All Decade Team as well as being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Singleton turned into a “JAG” at the get-go and was with the Pats just a couple of years while Agnew made the All-Rookie team which was the highlight of his 10-year career, 4 of which were with the Pats.

Soooo here we are again. Decision time getting closer on whether to take the “Sure Thing” - (Harrison), take the last QB standing - (Williams, Daniels, or Maye), or take the shot at a “haul”?

History says to take the “Sure Thing” but since we didn’t exactly “burn up” free agency, I’m actually leaning towards seeing what kind of a “haul” we can get. Then I think of all those QB’s before and after watching the “GOAT” for 20 years (betcha don’t remember Don Trull and couldn’t even name all the QB’s signed and released just this past year!) and I now find myself hoping we select one of the 3 QB’s, come what “Maye”!

But not to worry, I’ll change my mind tomorrow!

Another one of my late round binkies. I’d love for us to take a flier on Vidal. 5’7” 215…good between the tackles, great of the backfield & pretty good in pass protection.

It makes sense to sit a rookie QB for a year when you don't have much offensive support. But, that absolutely means they need a legit # 1 receiver/TE/OL in 2025.

So, who is possibly available in 2025 that will help the first year starter?

I don't think sitting him two years in a row is an option. Because two years of a rookie deal have just been wasted.

Rumor du jour: Vikes, Pats close to swapping picks …
Just a quick follow-up to yesterday’s story on the growing buzz surrounding Minnesota’s attempt to move up in the draft from the 11th pick overall to a position where they could get one of this year’s top QBs after acquiring an extra 1st from Houston, but there was a palpable buzz earlier today that the Vikings are ‘close’ to a deal with New England in which Minnesota would get the 3rd pick overall, presumably where they would select North Carolina QB Drake Maye, in exchange for a monster package of picks that could include the Vikings two first rounders this year and their #1 in 2025.

Any truth to that or are they reading this Board??

Any truth to that or are they reading this Board??
god i hope not

they would have to be very bad to be able to select a top 3 qb anytime soon without trading a fortune to get a top 3 pick

Patriots would be making a big mistake to do that.

Would people be mad if the Patriots took Cooper Dejean in the 2nd round?

We have a need at FS and he could potentially be a Kyle Hamilton type addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back