PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MHJ if available should be the pick. Tua looked like a bust his first 2 seasons when he had trash to work with. Then the Dolphins went out and got him Hill and Waddle and he started putting up MVP numbers.

Brady with the trash Bill had brought him his last year looked like he old age had finally caught up.

I want to see what Mac can do with some elite weapons before the book is completely closed. Worse case scenario you have another top pick next year and elite young WR to pair with your rookie QB

How I feel about the Patriots draft:

giphy.gif

MHJ if available should be the pick. Tua looked like a bust his first 2 seasons when he had trash to work with. Then the Dolphins went out and got him Hill and Waddle and he started putting up MVP numbers.

Brady with the trash Bill had brought him his last year looked like he old age had finally caught up.

I want to see what Mac can do with some elite weapons before the book is completely closed. Worse case scenario you have another top pick next year and elite young WR to pair with your rookie QB
I don't want another year of talking about the upcoming Draft in week 7.

I don't want another year of talking about the upcoming Draft in week 7.
Strap in. Chris Conley isn't coming through that door. (Big-time catch for him in the playoff game last week, btw, love to see it).

The only good thing about a horrible season, is we will get one of Maye, Daniels or Harrison. Maye is the one I want, but good possibility Washington grabs him. I’ll be happy with either Daniels or Harrison. Daniels gives us a great weapon at QB, and Harrison is truly a generational talent at WR.

I’m a hockey fanatic too, so the last few generational talents in the NHL were Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid & Bedard. Harrison is that level of a prospect at WR comparatively.

People are comparing him to Julio Jones or Larry Fitzgerald, you’re talking about 1st ballot Hall of Fame WRs. You can find a QB in round 2, maybe a Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy.

So we really are sitting pretty, stay at 3 and get a great player (Daniels or Harrison Jr).
l Like your input Cousin,
I have a big problem with the top three picks......maybe Caleb escapes this scrutiny because he has some "playground" in him like Mahomes and Jackson, but he is frail.
The other two look "Christain Ponderish" ....like jammed into the first round.I ask my Cousins if they have seen the tape on these supposed first round QB's?
I am becoming a MHJ fan quickly. It has always been a mantra of the Draft. That should be MHJ.Maye and Daniels both have potential but filled with flaws. So wait.......I have seen Penix play. I have seen Bo Nix play. Better tape.
Penix has elite ball placement and only sacked five times last year. Might be there at #34.
If you walked away with MKJ and Penix or Nix as your first two picks now you are talking.

But I think the best play is Justin Fields who seemed to be coming into his own the last few months. He had better college tape and guess what....he has NFL tape. You own him for two years left. I am not a Fields Fan Boy. I see what I saw. Nyet on Maye and Daniels.

Hear is my proposal Trade Jones and our #3 pick for the Bears #9 pick and a 2025 conditional pick. Draft your best OT at pick #9 and perhaps get Leggett form U.S.C. at #34

Better odds doing this than a kid you could miss.
Thoughts?
DW Toys

l Like your input Cousin,
I have a big problem with the top three picks......maybe Caleb escapes this scrutiny because he has some "playground" in him like Mahomes and Jackson, but he is frail.
The other two look "Christain Ponderish" ....like jammed into the first round.I ask my Cousins if they have seen the tape on these supposed first round QB's?
I am becoming a MHJ fan quickly. It has always been a mantra of the Draft. That should be MHJ.Maye and Daniels both have potential but filled with flaws. So wait.......I have seen Penix play. I have seen Bo Nix play. Better tape.
Penix has elite ball placement and only sacked five times last year. Might be there at #34.
If you walked away with MKJ and Penix or Nix as your first two picks now you are talking.

But I think the best play is Justin Fields who seemed to be coming into his own the last few months. He had better college tape and guess what....he has NFL tape. You own him for two years left. I am not a Fields Fan Boy. I see what I saw. Nyet on Maye and Daniels.

Hear is my proposal Trade Jones and our #3 pick for the Bears #9 pick and a 2025 conditional pick. Draft your best OT at pick #9 and perhaps get Leggett form U.S.C. at #34

Better odds doing this than a kid you could miss.
Thoughts?
DW Toys
That conditional pick needs to be the Bears’ unconditional 2025 #1 pick to be a consideration.

why Pratt? He made the players around him better.....Don't see that chatter on these other kids) Imagine if he was thet starter at Ohio Stae or Georgia?
Drake Maye won 8 games with a 3-win team. I don't think you realize how bad North Carolina would have been without Drake Maye.
I live in NC and if you mention Maye is another Trubisky NC fans would laugh because they would think that would have to be a joke.

He's going to be, at least, a good NFL QB. He's probably the safest QB pick, Williams has more upside but a little more risk due to size and mental makeup.

If Maye or Williams are somehow available at 3 it is a no brainer. I'd run up to the podium with 1 second gone on the clock and so would the Patriots.
It only becomes a question if it is Daniels and that comes down to the final evaluation.
Pratt is somewhat interesting but a 4th round prospect, likely drafted in third round. Historically, those guys just not going to make it.
QB, Tackle, WR in that order of picks lines up with the depth of the draft.
Add another WR in free agency, 1 area where there is some depth in free agency.

Notable. Seems like this year will be a top heavy draft. May not be the best year to try and stockpile mid to late round selections.

It’s a good year to trade up and take 3-4 really good prospects at positions of greatest need. Take the QB at #3, trade their early 2nd and another pick to get a LT in the second half of the first round, then use remaining picks to load up on WR and OL prospects.

Brady worked incessantly on his throwing mechanics, making sure everything was aligned perfectly to produce maximum power. Throwing mechanics seemed like a foreign word to Jones.

That’s my biggest issue with Jones. He didn’t improve at anything, in fact he only seemed to get worse at everything.

It’s a good year to trade up and take 3-4 really good prospects at positions of greatest need. Take the QB at #3, trade their early 2nd and another pick to get a LT in the second half of the first round, then use remaining picks to load up on WR and OL prospects.
I like this. Especially if we can land a WR in FA.

Pair a vet like Ridley, Higgins, Hopkins (if he gets back on the market) with some young developmental guys in the mid rounds.

Although only time will tell, this WR class has to potential to be as good as the back to back drafts that produced Metcalf, Brown, Samuel, Higgins Pittman, etc. WR's with size, length, speed and quickness, and with a competent WR coach, could be special. We need to hit on 2 WR's (regardless of where drafted) and at least one hopefully young FA WR (Higgins, Pittman Jr.), that can give a young and hopefully stud QB some weapons. And, to address the huge elephant in the room, an upgraded O-Line. It'll take more than a couple of FA's and draft picks over the next 2 or more season, but we need to get off to a great start this offseason.

Last edited:
Here is an idea:

Instead of just trading up the early second rounder, giving up the 3rd as well to get back into the 1st round. Maybe we are willing to give up a 2nd in 2025 in order to to have three picks within the top 40 or so?

Basically ship our 25 2nd, this years 3rd, for a pick high in the second round. This way we can land QB at 3, and an OT and WR in the early second.

You hit on these three, and this offense transforms entirely.

ThNanks for posting this I learned a LOT about what you want to look for in a QB. Looking to see him throwing with ANTICIPATION. At the spot rather than where that receiver is at the moment.

I have no idea who this guy is or what his qualifications are, but he was very insightful in his comments. If you can post his Daniels and Maye observations I'd love to hear them.

ThNanks for posting this I learned a LOT about what you want to look for in a QB. Looking to see him throwing with ANTICIPATION. At the spot rather than where that receiver is at the moment.

I have no idea who this guy is or what his qualifications are, but he was very insightful in his comments. If you can post his Daniels and Maye observations I'd love to hear them.
Thanks! Yeah this guy is detailed on another level. He dives deep; except kickers. He hates evaluating kickers, so he totally avoids the discussion. His mocks and scouting reports are very intricate and most importantly, unbiased.

Thanks! Yeah this guy is detailed on another level. He dives deep; except kickers. He hates evaluating kickers, so he totally avoids the discussion. His mocks and scouting reports are very intricate and most importantly, unbiased.

Thanks a lot. Now I know what I'll be doing for the next hour. But I still don't know his NAME or qualifications. He mentioned PFF, does he work for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST