PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you base that on?
We all know the draft is a crapshoot. Never more true than at QB.
If BB survives Kraft's axe this year, he only has 1 or 2 more to prove his legacy. Is he the guy to mentor a young QB??? Never has been.
He always prefers vets that have something left. (Kosar, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Hoyer, Newton)
If he's going all in for one last ride, he's not going pin that on a 22 year old lotto ticket.
(not saying he wouldn't draft a QB in the 2nd round, but not #3 overall)

If BB survives Kraft's axe this year, he only has 1 or 2 more to prove his legacy. Is he the guy to mentor a young QB??? Never has been.
He always prefers vets that have something left. (Kosar, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Hoyer, Newton)
If he's going all in for one last ride, he's not going pin that on a 22 year old lotto ticket.
He mentored Tom Brady.
He inherited Kosar and Bledsoe and moved in from them quickly. He signed hoyer as an udfa.
The last time he needed a QB he took one in the first round.
He has often kept 1st or 2nd year backups

The evidence says he has had tremendous patience for young QBs.

He is going to divert us best for the franchise. If the best qb he can get us in the draft that is what he will do. If there is a top FA he can sign he may do that. I see nothing that says he wouldn’t take the qb unless the one he really wants would be available later, likely via a trade down.

Well stated we have seen WR's take over games ie... Chase - Hill - Jefferson - Digs and others we Desperately NEED one of those guys and it could be Harrison Jr.
without a QB, an elite WR is a waste. None of those WR's you stated take over a game without a top QB throwing them the ball.

Getting Drake Maye would be a major coup if we can get him at 3. The problem with Josh Allen has been coaching. He should have been coached to use his legs to just buy time and not keep trying to run over Front 7 players on a regular basis (especially after getting enough yardage). Doing what he's been doing is going to end his career if he doesn't change his style of play that makes him reckless with his body.

I would settle for Penix Jr late Second early Third.
I wouldn't draft Penix Jr. until after the 5th round. There's too much talent that we need at other positions to take a chance on him any earlier.

I think they stay with Fields, so MHJ is the natural pick.
The smart play would be for Chicago to take MHJ 1st, and then whatever else with their 2nd 1st round pick to help out Fields. It's too early to bail on him. Give him more talent and better QB coaching and at least have something in place if they ever do need another QB in the future.

The smart play would be for Chicago to take MHJ 1st, and then whatever else with their 2nd 1st round pick to help out Fields. It's too early to bail on him. Give him more talent and better QB coaching and at least have something in place if they ever do need another QB in the future.
If they aren’t 100% on Fields this is when they would have to cut bait. They must make the 5th year option decision this off season. So that means they are into him for 30 mill-ish in 25 and then a mega deal.
Figuring out during that timeframe that he’s not the guy means they replace him without having the 1st pick.

Ok speaking hypothetically if you had the chance to get the next R Moss would you pass?? I wouldn't.

He’s not Randy Moss, thats a ridiculous comparison.

If Chicago isn’t taking a QB their smart move is to trade back and pick up really valuable picks for their #1. They can drop down and still get Nabers, or possibly Harrison, it depends upon how far they drop.

Maybe they take MHJr at #1 and then trade Fields and #9 to move up to #2-4 to take the best QB available.

?
Brady, Cassel, Garoppolo?

Surely you believe at least Brady and Cassel were mentored. Brady sat in with Belichick in his office all the time

Maybe they take MHJr at #1 and then trade Fields and #9 to move up to #2-4 to take the best QB available.
That's way too little.

Consider San Fran gave up 3 #1s (including the #12) and a 3rd to take Trey Lance, who was much less accomplished than either Daniels or Maye.

If Fields' value is a 2nd/3rd, the Bears would have to send at least two #1s in addition to Fields in order to trade up

Harrison and Bowers....oh my.

I think they stay with Fields, so MHJ is the natural pick.
Maybe but the do have a bunch of needs, they could easily trade out of #1 to someone wanting Williams (Washington perhaps?).

The smart play would be to more on from Fields because he's about to be expensive and will never be elite he's barely consistent from the pocket in year 3, Caleb Williams at least has the chance to be elite and he's cheap.

How can you draft #1 2 years in a row and have a 4th year question mark at quarterback? Seems unlikely if you're the GM you buy yourself time if you draft Caleb Williams.

If you pass on him and he becomes elite you're fired.

Jordan Love in division is already better than Justin Fields 1 year into his playing career.

I'd honestly be happy with any of Maye, Daniels or Harrison. Maye is mobile and has a cannon, Daniels is a lot of fun in the open field, Harrison is a generational receiver.

I know Harrison doesn't solve the QB problem but it makes it easier for whoever is playing QB. QB is the bigger need but Marvin could be the best player on the Pats for the next 10 years.

Question on that.
Is your round grade with ignoring that they are a qb and will go much higher than their overall grade, or is that factored in.
I do my best to ignore positional value but I'm sure it's facored in subconsciously. I want my grade to make sense 3-5 years after a prospect is drafted. Try to ignore the hype they have around them now but I'm human.
Assuming the former, what are your thoughts about how to draft a qb if they all get drafted way higher than their value?
I'd go with a "connect the dots" approach.

Everyone wants the new QB but like a hot girl not everyone can handle her.

What's the feeling among the base? Are we coming off a playoff lose or haven't made the playoffs in 3 decades?

How's our OL and supporting cast, defense, st included.

How's the HC & OC/QBC? Is he on thin ice or is he stable?

Does the prospect fit what we've traditionally done on offense? Is he a baby at 20 or kind of a finished product more or less at 24?

Am I in love with him on & off the field?

I'd answer a lot of these questions and see what I come up with.

It'd hard passing on guys like Lawrence or Williams but you can also build a great team and add a QB later if those pieces don't fit or you're not liking the answers to those questions above.

So much hinges on what the Bears do at 1. Do they stick with Fields or not? The other teams at the top of the draft order should be planning on multiple scenarios, depending on if
a) Chicago drafts a QB​
b) Chicago drafts Harrison (perhaps drafting a 2nd tier QB at #9 or later)​
c) Chicago trades down to another QB-needy team​

2) Washington needs a QB; I can't envision them not drafting one.

3) New England needs a QB, but what if their #1 (and #2) choices are already gone?

4) Arizona is another team that could go QB, or could opt to stick with Murray - and draft one of MHJ/Bowers/OT at #4.

5) The Chargers would likely go with TE Bowers if he is still available at #5, unless they feel defense is too much of an overriding need.

6) The Giants need a QB, but at #6 who will be available? How much are they willing to give up to trade up?

On top of all that, should one of these teams sign FA WR Tee Higgins, the Harrison dynamic is altered. To a lesser extent the same goes should one of these teams sign Cousins or Mayfield.

That’d be sweet if only Daniels would be there #8…

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes