PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it ain’t at least four first rounders along with Jefferson, not even considering it.

If the Vikings (or any team) are in love with Maye, now would be the time to push stories about how the Pats love Maye and are going to take him.
Ha ha! I need silly season to be over soon!

Ha ha! I need silly season to be over soon!
I know, you can view anything as a smokescreen in any direction.

Maye is my QB2 so I hope he does get picked. Think he’s probably the best personality fit too as far as the type of culture they want to build. Very genuine guy.

I know, you can view anything as a smokescreen in any direction.

Maye is my QB2 so I hope he does get picked. Think he’s probably the best personality fit too as far as the type of culture they want to build. Very genuine guy.
My expectation is there’s one or two QBs who are going to be good for years to come. I don’t feel incredibly confident that we’re going to end up with one of them.

I’m

so by your QB logic, there are no perfect flawless QB prospects so pass on all of them.
Perfect flawless?? I did not say that was the measuring stick I was using.

I am simply saying….. stay true to your board and take the best player available at 3!

Simple concept really.

My expectation is there’s one or two QBs who are going to be good for years to come. I don’t feel incredibly confident that we’re going to end up with one of them.
I think Maye has a pretty good chance to be great, and if he does hit on his potential, he will be good for a long time. He appears to be very durable and has already played behind a **** OL under constant pressure and with terrible WRs so you don’t need to worry about how he would handle a bad situation. It’s just a matter of fixing some of his personal flaws, which can be fixed. Of course, there’s a chance he doesn’t fix them and just ends up staying as he is now, which would be a mixed bag.

I think Maye has a pretty good chance to be great, and if he does hit on his potential, he will be good for a long time. He appears to be very durable and has already played behind a **** OL under constant pressure and with terrible WRs so you don’t need to worry about how he would handle a bad situation. It’s just a matter of fixing some of his personal flaws, which can be fixed. Of course, there’s a chance he doesn’t fix them and just ends up staying as he is now, which would be a mixed bag.
Yeah, I can’t judge QBs, so I am going solely on the success rates for QBs in the first round and they’re not good. I hope Maye proves to be a good one, but I also look at how many QBs the Bills have gone through. It could be a long time until we’re good again.

Yeah, I can’t judge QBs, so I am going solely on the success rates for QBs in the first round and they’re not good. I hope Maye proves to be a good one, but I also look at how many QBs the Bills have gone through. It could be a long time until we’re good again.
The key is that it won’t be instant - he’s not going to get drafted and take the league by storm. It’ll be a slow developing effort. It might be 3 years before he really “hits”, kind of like Josh Allen. But obviously that had a huge payoff.

IMO if they do draft him, they need to sit him for at least 3/4 of the year behind Brissett and let him watch and develop, then get some reps late in the season. Keep building around him. You might not be able to capitalize on his rookie contract that well but finding your franchise QB for the long term is what matters most.

The key is that it won’t be instant - he’s not going to get drafted and take the league by storm. It’ll be a slow developing effort. It might be 3 years before he really “hits”, kind of like Josh Allen. But obviously that had a huge payoff.

IMO if they do draft him, they need to sit him for at least 3/4 of the year behind Brissett and let him watch and develop, then get some reps late in the season. Keep building around him. You might not be able to capitalize on his rookie contract that well but finding your franchise QB for the long term is what matters most.
OK, if you think that we can win with Maye at $40M AAV (today's dollars, $50M when he is ready for his 2nd contract).

How many teams in the NFL are currently successful with a $40M QB. You mention the Bills. I don't even think that they are division favorites this year, certainly not next.

Essentially, the team is betting that Maye is Allen, that they can fix the flaws as well as BUF has, and then we can continue being a top team while paying him top dollar. This a long shot for any QB, but it is rare to have more than a couple of those QB's in a draft. I don't think that we have more than a couple in this draft.

OK, if you think that we can win with Maye at $40M AAV (today's dollars, $50M when he is ready for his 2nd contract).

How many teams in the NFL are currently successful with a $40M QB. You mention the Bills. I don't even think that they are division favorites this year, certainly not next.

Essentially, the team is betting that Maye is Allen, that they can fix the flaws as well as BUF has, and then we can continue being a top team while paying him top dollar. This a long shot for any QB, but it is rare to have more than a couple of those QB's in a draft. I don't think that we have more than a couple in this draft.
There’s a lot more to a team than the QB, though. Allen’s contract is big, but not outrageous. They could be and should be a contender, but their roster beyond the QB is a bit funky right now. One big reason (the biggest reason) is due to mishandling their WR1’s contract. That has nothing to do with Allen’s deal.

Mahomes has a huge cap hit. Lamar. Burrow. Goff. These teams are contenders. You could probably throw the Rams and Bucs in there too with Stafford and Mayfield. Probably Aaron Rodgers too, at least for this season.

I hope he hires a coach to help him with his mechanics in the off-season, like Brady did.

He may not play all year, so it would be the best time to do this.

Develop the good habits now when there is no pressure, and he can do it without being put into games and risk falling back into bad muscle memory.

What's the alternative?

The hot new rumor is JC Latham to the Chargers, even if they pick at 5. Daniel Jeremiah mocked him there, and he’s now the betting favorite.

On the other hand, that should make them an obvious trade down candidate unless they’re worried that other team want him that badly too (even over Alt).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes