PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DL & EDGE Players: Run stuffers, designated pass rushers, hybrids, etc

Heard a rumor that Takk McKinley only got a 3 on his Wonderlic. I don't know if that's true or not, but if so, it's a pretty big red flag. He had learning disabilities and poor scores in high school. We demand a lot from players. Just something to mull over.

Unfortunately . not surprised..

Are you starting to get the feeling we are better off in the top 18, or around the mid 40s? I feel we will get pretty well the same guy at 32 that we would get at 45, so I am thinking a trade back (or up) would make a lot of sense. Then move up from one of our 3rds with the extras from a trade back.

There just aren't very many guys in our range that don't come with some warts. Some warts more significant than others.

I'm with you on that 100%. Either a clear difference maker at a top position, or drop down and get a number of very solid players at a discount. Although not all the players worked out, I still remember how neat it was to have 4 2nd round picks in 2009. Really, 3 out of 4 went on to be long-term starters in the league, which is remarkable.

Heard a rumor that Takk McKinley only got a 3 on his Wonderlic. I don't know if that's true or not, but if so, it's a pretty big red flag. He had learning disabilities and poor scores in high school. We demand a lot from players. Just something to mull over.

Takk is already off my board. Bad w3-cone, undersized by our standards, might not be ready for camp and now this. Too many other options to have him as a serious contender.

I'm with you on that 100%. Either a clear difference maker at a top position, or drop down and get a number of very solid players at a discount. Although not all the players worked out, I still remember how neat it was to have 4 2nd round picks in 2009. Really, 3 out of 4 went on to be long-term starters in the league, which is remarkable.

This is why, if BB does trade JG, it's for a first and second this year rather than Cleveland's twelve this year and next years first. Firstly, I think that has a better chance of getting the deal done, and secondly, this is a draft to take advantage of. And finally, considering we'll probably gain some compensatory picks for next year, we'll still get additional picks in '18.

Are you starting to get the feeling we are better off in the top 18, or around the mid 40s? I feel we will get pretty well the same guy at 32 that we would get at 45, so I am thinking a trade back (or up) would make a lot of sense. Then move up from one of our 3rds with the extras from a trade back.

There just aren't very many guys in our range that don't come with some warts. Some warts more significant than others.
As things start to take shape for me anyways, I want as many picks as I can have between 40 and 100.

Takk is already off my board. Bad w3-cone, undersized by our standards, might not be ready for camp and now this. Too many other options to have him as a serious contender.

I really like Takk, but looking at things dispassionately, I believe you're correct. I wonder if he drops farther than expected, though. At what point is the value too high to pass up? Good physical tools if he can get healthy and has the right coach who can be patient teaching him the scheme. I think he's got a good head on his shoulders. If you listen to interviews, he's determined not to slip through the cracks; he grew up in a terrible neighbourhood and did what it took to get out and make something of himself. You're likely right that he's off our board, but I really do wish him success.

This is why, if BB does trade JG, it's for a first and second this year rather than Cleveland's twelve this year and next years first. Firstly, I think that has a better chance of getting the deal done, and secondly, this is a draft to take advantage of. And finally, considering we'll probably gain some compensatory picks for next year, we'll still get additional picks in '18.

I would love a first next year just because of the depth of qbs and tackles available. We will be a lot closer to needing to have a long term answer behind Brady. Also, great qbs and tackles are worth a ton to trade up for.

I do agree it makes a trade less likely, but pretty interesting that browns already leaking they would love him for 12. Already warming up the fans to the idea of trading a major piece. Now, just to keep them on the hook a little longer.

I really like Takk, but looking at things dispassionately, I believe you're correct. I wonder if he drops farther than expected, though. At what point is the value too high to pass up? Good physical tools if he can get healthy and has the right coach who can be patient teaching him the scheme. I think he's got a good head on his shoulders. If you listen to interviews, he's determined not to slip through the cracks; he grew up in a terrible neighbourhood and did what it took to get out and make something of himself. You're likely right that he's off our board, but I really do wish him success.
If I were to draft McKinley at all, I would have already drafted a DE beforehand.
There is no way in hell that I would make him my first DE.

I can not think of anybody in this draft class that could be available at #32 that some team would want to trade up for?

I guess qb kiser could fall, but man, his tape is so horrible! Only someone truly desperate would trade up for him! hmmm, can you say jets?

I can not think of anybody in this draft class that could be available at #32 that some team would want to trade up for?

I guess qb kiser could fall, but man, his tape is so horrible! Only someone truly desperate would trade up for him! hmmm, can you say jets?

Melifonwu or Kevin King? Both are fairly unique which may cause someone to trade up. If one of the three OTs falls to 32 considering how the class drops off after them?

@JuMosq's Tweet:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does Force Players and Mid Tiers mean?

Melifonwu or Kevin King? Both are fairly unique which may cause someone to trade up. If one of the three OTs falls to 32 considering how the class drops off after them?
One of them going to Seattle for sure.

Probably, but I think they'll have to take an OL in the first.
They drafated 2-3RBs last year, adding Lacy trough FA, Jamaal Charles visiting them today. They are looking for RBs to fit with Cable Oline system. And they rarely draft OL in first rounds. I think Britt was in second round. They tried to sign TJ Lang, but he is extremely good. We will see, but guys above are exactly what they are looking for. Deshawn Shead is bad and i think that he is FA,so good corner next to Sherman is big need for them. They are bad without Earl Thomas and they know it.

Ryan Anderson

6'2

A squat, powerful player, Anderson displays better than anticipated explosion moving in all directions. While he’s never had top tier production as a pass rusher, he has a complete game as a linebacker and could easily step into a 43 or 34 scheme at SAM or MIKE, while also offering enough pass rushing skills to break into the DE rotation. He played on a tremendous college defense, and some hold the surrounding talent against him, but he’s a heady, athletic player who can impact the game in multiple ways. Some have labelled him “maxed out,” but he still has room to grow from both a technique standpoint, and also as an athlete and a mover.

The biggest problem he shows is a consistent tendency to take short, choppy steps in pursuit and when changing direction, instead of cleaning planting his foot, dropping his hips, and exploding back the other way. He needs to develop more economy of movement, but this can be taught and developed with discipline. He has the natural speed and agility to become a more graceful, efficient mover.

If he learns to incorporate a long arm technique to his pass rush while taking a more direct route to the quarterback (something Khalil Mack does exceptionally well, which is why he is so successful despite relatively small stature), then he could become a true edge threat. Until then, I see him more as a well-rounded linebacker who offers versatility and some starter-level traits right out of the gate, with growth potential.

If he ends up as Hightower’s replacement, I expect the run defense to take a step back in 2017, but then to be back up to par in 2018. Overall, if he's there in the 3rd round, I'd be very happy to bring him on board.

EDIT: Well, Hightower is back. I'd still be fine with bringing in Anderson, who I think is an ideal Nink backup and could replace him down the line. He's just the definition of a relentless, hustle player. Fun to watch him go get the ball.

+ Experience in a read/react scheme
+ Comfortable dropping into the flat / short zones
+ Productive year for takeaways (4 forced fumbles + interception)
+ More successful bull rusher than his size would indicate
+ Terrific power in his hands to shed blockers
+ Sudden inside counter off his speed rush
+ Good timing as an A-gap blitzer
+ Sets a hard edge and holds ground against the run
+ Production improved each year
+ Plus instincts against the screen; will break off rush to chip back
+ Strong, sure tackler
+ Lines up right, left, and center; experience at each LB position as well as DE
+ Used occasionally as a spy and keeps the play well contained
+ Relentless working through multiple blockers; unafraid to stack and shed

- Can be ridden past the play; doesn’t always bend the edge well
- Not a premiere sack master — may never become a primary threat on D
- Tends to chop his feet and take too many unnecessary steps
- Needs to learn to plant and go when changing directions
- Zone coverage is much better than man to man at this point in his career
- Doesn’t always harness natural athleticism
- Seems to decide on an upfield rush prior to reading play too often
- Can be beat to the outside by speed backs
- Despite decent athleticism, sometimes takes odd angles and false steps that slow him down
- In man coverage, needs to be aware of down & distance; gets lost at the stem of the route too often due to fear of being beaten over the top, and allows easy separation on in-breaking routes

Against an option look, Anderson does a great job attacking the mesh point. He’s decisive to get upfield and set up a potential tackle for a loss, but still watches the quarterback instead of blindly committing to the running back tackle. He’s able to redirect and participate in a tackle for minimum gain.

Not terribly worried about Anderson’s short arms. He has great handwork and does an excellent job of setting up the tackle on this sack. Quick, violent hands allow him to disengage and make a beeline for the quarterback. Compare him with Daeshon Hall, whose arms are over 35 inches long, but who often gets stuck on blocks because he doesn’t extend or handfight well, thus negating his reach advantage.

Don’t try to block him in the run game with a TE. It won’t work. Excellent job setting the edge and shedding the block to make the tackle.

It’s not all good news. Anderson’s lack of length and proclivity for taking too many needless steps hurts him in this rush. Instead of dipping under the tackle or cutting back inside, he gets pushed out of the play and driven into the ground. It’s just one rep, but it does highlight some of his deficiencies at the next level.

Great anticipation of the dumpoff to the running back. Look how quickly he breaks off his rush and gets out to the flat. Good hands to come down with the interception, nice balance through contact to keep his feet, and a nose for the endzone. Love the playmaking potential.

Bonus: he crushes the hopes and dreams of opposing fans. I laughed when I saw the Washington fan shaking her head, so I figured I'd leave it in the gif.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back