PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deangelo Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbsownscoles

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Hows he doing? I remember there were alot of people(not saying on this board) who wanted him over maroney, so I was just wondering how he was doin his first 2 games

hobbsownscoles said:
Hows he doing? I remember there were alot of people(not saying on this board) who wanted him over maroney, so I was just wondering how he was doin his first 2 games

He has 12 carries for 28 yards.

And what is scary is 20 of those yards came on 1 play where he basically ran for 20 yards untouched.

So even the 2.33 yard per cary average is a bit misleading.

His problem is he starts jukeing before he even gets the ball.

I haven't seen any highlites of him yet, I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. Probably back up DeShaun Foster this year, and is good insurance in case Foster get's hurt this year. I'm pretty high on him, but always like Maroney & Bush better, especially since Williams has had some history of injuries. He should be a very good back though, with a chance to be great.

sarge said:
He has 12 carries for 28 yards.

And what is scary is 20 of those yards came on 1 play where he basically ran for 20 yards untouched.

So even the 2.33 yard per cary average is a bit misleading.

His problem is he starts jukeing before he even gets the ball.

Why does everyone try to take away long runs. If Bush doesn't have that 44 yard run his average is 2.8, blah blah blah.....Their stats are their stats, period. Imagine if Maroney runs 20 times for 150 yards (7.5ypc), but has a 90 yard run, "well you take away his 90 yarder and his average is only 3 yards per carry", well.....ya can't take away the 90 yarder.

Is he even past Goings on the depth chart? You have to be great -- not good, great -- to get past the formula for early NFL running back success:

The Kosher butcher model. One cut, and go.

PFnV

scott99 said:
I haven't seen any highlites of him yet, I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. Probably back up DeShaun Foster this year, and is good insurance in case Foster get's hurt this year. I'm pretty high on him, but always like Maroney & Bush better, especially since Williams has had some history of injuries. He should be a very good back though, with a chance to be great.

I'll fess up, I was yelling for Williams when #21 came around on draft day (right after TE Pope, of course :) ).

I've heard the same thing about DeAngelo in Carolina - he better be ready....to fill in for DeShaun Foster when he gets injured.

scott99 said:
Why does everyone try to take away long runs. If Bush doesn't have that 44 yard run his average is 2.8, blah blah blah.....Their stats are their stats, period. Imagine if Maroney runs 20 times for 150 yards (7.5ypc), but has a 90 yard run, "well you take away his 90 yarder and his average is only 3 yards per carry", well.....ya can't take away the 90 yarder.

Who the phuck is taking away the long run!

I said his 2.33 average was misleading and it is!

I didn't say, well if you take away the 20 yard run he is averaging .7 yards per cary.

I knew right when I typed it someone would start whining about it!

Where discussing his stats and his stats are absolutely a whopping 2.33 yards per cary. When you see that over 70 percent of it came with one run and the rest equates to under a yard per carry, the kid is getting caught in the backfield a lot. And I actually saw the run. It was the only time he didn't have to get around a defender. It was the type of situation most backs would have gained big yards.

I have seen him play two games. He is fast. He has moves.

His problem is he starts putting the moves on before he ever gets the ball!

When he gets away from that, he will be fine!

Last edited:
scott99 said:
Why does everyone try to take away long runs. If Bush doesn't have that 44 yard run his average is 2.8, blah blah blah...

Watching Bush last night I thought he looked very average. It looks like he was not ready for the speed of NFL defenders.

Looks like Bush has to get ready for the NFL not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ichiro said:
Watching Bush last night I thought he looked very average. It looks like he was not ready for the speed of NFL defenders.

Looks like Bush has to get ready for the NFL not the other way around.

I remember one play where he ran left and tried to juke out a defender... didn't work. Ain't playing in college no more, Reggie:)

Still a great talent, though. He will be good, maybe even great, but I don't think he will ever live up to his hype. It's almost impossible.

scott99 said:

I think it can be informative to lop off the very best carries, but you should also lop off the very worst in that case. The interquartile range strikes me as a useful way to characterize RBs -- it says "realistically, what can you expect when you hand the ball to this guy?" Seems like a good measure of an every-down ball-control back as opposed to a strategic quick-strike weapon.

The point of removing a long run is to eliminate huge deviations from the norm. Especially in the case where you have a long, untouched run, that is purely a product of blocking. It's not saying that the guy can't rip off a run like that, it just illustrates a point that he's not doing much else, and how much of an unusual event that run was in comparison to the average body of work.

In the Saints Cowboy game, Bush tried his stop and go out on Ware. It didn't work. Ware grabbed him and tossed him to the ground. Then talked some smack to the rookie.
I think that's probably the first taste of what's to come for Mr. Bush.

PS: I loved to see Bush use that stop and go on a freak like Merriman.

Last edited by a moderator:
hobbsownscoles said:
Hows he doing?

I heard he's trying to get an endorsement deal from a chain of sandwich shops.

scott99 said:
Well, as has been discussed by other posters, what you are interested in is how 'productive' a back is, or better yet, what contribution he is making toward the team winning. There is, of course, no way to carve 'statistics' to tell you the answer to that in black and white - which is part of what you are questioning.

However, to show why it might be important to consider more than just a simple yards per carry average, consider the following:

Suppose a RB carries 10 times each time gaining 2.5 yards. Then he has an eleventh carry for 41 yards. If you take a strict average, you get 5.5 yards per carry which most folks would rate as a top RB. However, in terms of helping the team, those 10 carries for 2.5 yards probably put his team into difficult situations to make first downs and continue a number of drives. The one time that he got 41 yards certainly got 1 first down but in and of itself may not even have helped the team sustain a long drive for a score.

This is why statistics provide only a certain amount of information as to judging productivity and why you really have to take into account other aspects of a player's performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back