PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chung cocaine indictment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wrong...greatest gateway drug of all is air....

don't believe me? try going without it for a couple of minutes...

Maybe I am misreading that, and I can't speak for everyone, but Amherst cops absolutely arrest UMass students for being in possession of alcohol (assuming you are underage).

Do you think cops break up parties and just let everyone go home?

In some city’s in Massachusetts yes, that absolutely happens. I know, trust me. A lot of paperwork if you take down everyone’s name at the party. Let them run, make sure the few you find get rides home safely. Have another 2 officers patrol the area in cruisers to make sure no drunk kids are getting behind the wheel and driving home. Go in, talk to the owners kid who threw the party and have him call their parents and issue a warning. Nothing goes on any of the kids record, and no one drives home drunk.

I watched Making a Murderer and it looked like a small fish and a very small fish got hooked by a prosecutor and are now doing life for a crime they didn't commit.

This prosecutor had a record of 50-0 going in. I'm not involved with law, but how the heck does that happen? Does he get all slam dunks or are his methods that effective? In this case the prosecutor played the media to perfection and had a pool of guilty verdicts waiting for the trial.

Good lawyer + guilty opponents + straight up juries = lots of wins

it could be 4 games, but it could be more......this falls under the personal conduct policy, not the substance abuse policy.....regardless, the suspension will only occur after a verdict is rendered in the case........and he can be suspended whether or not he is found guilty.......this is where goodell can decide guilt

BTW, the bolded seems to be wrong...see here from PFT's Florio (a lawyer, BTW):

Patrick Chung will face no league punishment, likely for a while

Not even the greatest gateway drug of them all, alcohol?
About once a year in my thirties, I'd have an occasional wine cooler. But in the last five years, I can't have alcohol.

Last edited:
Pre-trial plea deals and trial wins are not the same.
Yeah, the Feds are so good at that game that they rarely need to go to trial. Same result: 90%+ conviction rate.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fjs1516.pdf
9 in 10 defendants adjudicated in U.S. district court in 2016 were convicted
Of the 76,639 defendants whose cases were terminated in U.S. district courts in 2016, 91% were convicted (table 6). More than 9 in 10 defendants charged with immigration (98%), weapons (94%), drug (92%), property (92%), and violent (91%) offenses were convicted. In 2016, 89% of defendants were convicted following a guilty plea, and 2% of convicted defendants received a bench or jury trial. Defendants adjudicated in the five federal judicial districts along the U.S.-Mexico border had a higher conviction rate (96%) than defendants in non-border districts (88%).

In some city’s in Massachusetts yes, that absolutely happens. I know, trust me. A lot of paperwork if you take down everyone’s name at the party. Let them run, make sure the few you find get rides home safely. Have another 2 officers patrol the area in cruisers to make sure no drunk kids are getting behind the wheel and driving home. Go in, talk to the owners kid who threw the party and have him call their parents and issue a warning. Nothing goes on any of the kids record, and no one drives home drunk.

Sounds like what the cops would do for parties at Amherst College.

Meanwhile, over at the Hobart Hoedown/Pufton, they'd roll into parties in riot gear and would absolutely lock people up. I had to bail out my GF and my roommate for underage possession.

So, the fed rates for plea deals are a bit higher than at the state level, but the bottom line is that 4/5 cases normally end in pleas.

Whether it’s 80%, 90%, a very small number of these cases go to trial, right?

So the question is: is that a good thing or not?

EDIT: especially in light of the number of incarcerated people there are in the USA.

incarceration rate.png

Last edited:
So the question is: is that a good thing or not?
The option is there to go to trial, even at the taxpayer expense. As you know, the courts are backed up and the charges are often reduced in dramatic fashion. In the high majority of cases, they didn’t just pick your name out of a hat. By accepting a plea, you’re cutting down the seriousness of both the charges and the punishment. Why gamble in front of a judge when you can take a lesser charge and often see probation?

In your example, Stephen Avery didn’t take a plea. It sounds like your beef is with the overzealous DA, the lack of cooperation from the CJ/courts system itself, and the fact that (rough estimates) about 1/20–1/25 will be wrongly convicted. I’m probably missing your overall point, so apologies. I’m just not sure how you went from the Stephen Avery case to wondering if there are too many plea deals?

The option is there to go to trial, even at the taxpayer expense. As you know, the courts are backed up and the charges are often reduced in dramatic fashion. In the high majority of cases, they didn’t just pick your name out of a hat. By accepting a plea, you’re cutting down the seriousness of both the charges and the punishment. Why gamble in front of a judge when you can take a lesser charge and often see probation?

In your example, Stephen Avery didn’t take a plea. It sounds like your beef is with the overzealous DA, the lack of cooperation from the CJ/courts system itself, and the fact that (rough estimates) about 1/20–1/25 will be wrongly convicted. I’m probably missing your overall point, so apologies. I’m just not sure how you went from the Stephen Avery case to wondering if there are too many plea deals?

I wasn't the one talking about that case.

My point is more about the nature of the plea agreement. It allows the prosecutor to incentivize others to testify against you.

Step 1: Charge you with multiple crimes
Step 2: Do the same to those around you
Step 3: Wait for someone to blink. If someone is facing 100 years, they might not only start singing but composing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back