PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Catches and Fumbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
So the proposed new rule is that if you control the ball, are inbounds (two feet) and make a football move it will be deemed a catch:

Peter King's Monday Morning QB: The NFL Catch Rule

Are we now not going to get a lot of fumbles? Player controls the ball, lunges for the down marker, ball hits ground and ball pops out before player is down. Isn't that now going to be a catch and fumble?

Wasn't this whole "football move" thing a point of contention a few years ago? What constitutes a "football move"?

2 steps? turning? Shifting the ball to your other side?

Attachments

• SP-NFL-ReplayOfficials.jpg
    SP-NFL-ReplayOfficials.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 3
Wasn't this whole "football move" thing a point of contention a few years ago? What constitutes a "football move"?

2 steps? turning? Shifting the ball to your other side?
Yes they added to the catch rule a few years ago but that pertained to a player firmly on two feet. This is a similar add for players as they are falling to the ground.

Are we now not going to get a lot of fumbles? Player controls the ball, lunges for the down marker, ball hits ground and ball pops out before player is down. Isn't that now going to be a catch and fumble?

No. The ground still cannot cause a fumble.

But if a receiver catches a ball, gets both feet down, starts to turn and has the ball knocked out of his hands, that's a fumble. Those "bang bang" type of hits are going to be reviewed closely again. I remember those days. "Did his 2nd foot touch before the hit" or "Did he turn his body" is just as tough to interpret as "did the ball move when he hit the ground".

But if a receiver catches a ball, gets both feet down, starts to turn and has the ball knocked out of his hands, that's a fumble. Those "bang bang" type of hits are going to be reviewed closely again. I remember those days. "Did his 2nd foot touch before the hit" or "Did he turn his body" is just as tough to interpret as "did the ball move when he hit the ground".
If a defender has not made contact then yes it can.

So the proposed new rule is that if you control the ball, are inbounds (two feet) and make a football move it will be deemed a catch:

Peter King's Monday Morning QB: The NFL Catch Rule

Well, the ground can't cause a fumble so once the ball hits the ground the play is over (assuming there is some sort of contact from the defense). But I suppose that in your above scenario if the receiver is lunging for the goal line or first down without being contacted by a defender then yes that would be a fumble.

So sure... this new rule will create a situation where something will be a fumble, but it is the sort of thing I would expect to see a small handful of times and not some sort of dramatic increase in fumbles.

I am ignoring the catch-rule talk until it's voted on...then I'll read it and watch how the refs enforce it in 2018....

So, in addition to "the catch rule", a few other changes have been made ...

The booth officials can now eject a player.

Players on IR can now be traded.

And, apparently, there's now some way to reacquire a player who's been claimed off waivers?

I am ignoring the catch-rule talk until it's voted on...then I'll read it and watch how the refs enforce it in 2018....

Then it is time to read it. Approved, and (somewhat surprisingly) with UNANIMOUS support

The new rules defining a catch include:

1. Control of the ball.
2. Two feet down or another body part.
3. A football move such as:
» A third step;
» Reaching/extending for the line-to-gain;
» Or the ability to perform such an act.

NFL teams unanimously approve simplified catch rule

So how about those toe-tapping sideline catches? Where is their "football move?"

The ground can cause a fumble if you ar not down by contact.

1. Control of the ball.
» A third step;

So how about those toe-tapping sideline catches? Where is their "football move?"
This is an improvement because it clarifies things.
Surviving the ground being eliminated may make it interesting. 2 feet down then a 3rd step in the way to the ground and the ball flies out will be a catch and either down by contact or a fumble.

Then it is time to read it. Approved, and (somewhat surprisingly) with UNANIMOUS support
All they really did was remove surviving the ground and defined a football move. It should be unanimous,it’s more clear.
I for one never felt surviving the ground was a good rule but it needed to be called be ausevit was the rule.

Depends, If it's a fumble on Pats and other teams recover then Yes.
and/or, If other teams fumble and Pats recover then NO.

-345 Park Ave

OK, read it...my initial though is that I agree with Dan Quinn....there are gonna be a lot more fumbles in place of incomplete pass calls.

As long as our boys hold onto the ball...I am good.

1. Control of the ball.
» A third step;

Just to be a prick....

1. What is control? If the ball is tucked but moving around is that a catch?
2. OK
3. What/who determines if a player has the ability to do something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back