PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's Play Action "Move" Not What It Once Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's noticed that Tom's play action move isn't what it was when he first came on the scene. When he first started playing I remember he had one of the best play action motions ever, it basically looked exactly the same as if he had given the ball to the RB.

But I find now he's just sort of "going through the motions" as it were.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's noticed that Tom's play action move isn't what it was when he first came on the scene. When he first started playing I remember he had one of the best play action motions ever, it basically looked exactly the same as if he had given the ball to the RB.

But I find now he's just sort of "going through the motions" as it were.

Maybe he just doesn't believe it any more. Play action is dependant on the run being a legit threat. How many times can you hand off to Dillon for 1 yard and keep the faith?

SoonerPatriot said:
Maybe he just doesn't believe it any more. Play action is dependant on the run being a legit threat. How many times can you hand off to Dillon for 1 yard and keep the faith?

Or the opposing team for that matter?

His QB rating this year was higher for playaction than it was last year although we play actioned about half the time as we did last year. Brady's rating was over 100 both last year and this year. It may or may not be executed as well but the results appear equal.

Ya, I'm not harping on results, I'm just wondering if any of you have noticed the difference.

re:

It is not as crisp, I agree.

The numbers are still good though. Rough estimates from memory:
2004 - 25% plays were play action, for 115+ QB rating.
2005 - 11% plays were play action, for 140+ QB rating.

I think in general the football fundamentals regressed a little bit this year. Brady's play action fakes, and also receivers' ability to not drop balls, have both gone backwards. I remember we used to lead the league in not dropping passes, but I bet we slipped this year.

Ridiculous

what next...he's got tired circles under his eyes?

his play action fakes are fine...stop with the anal retentive obsessing

Joker said:
Ridiculous

No kidding, people have gone insane around here. Brady is fine...The Pats are fine. We lost a game, we had to sometime....THEY CAN'T WIN EVERY GAME!!! THEY ARE HUMANS NOT ROBOTS!! GIVE THEM A BREAK!!!

Joker said:
Ridiculous

Wow, could NOT agree more!
Brady had the best % QB rating with play action in the NFL this year, but ummm, yeah, it just wasn't what it used to be.

Please....people - STOP IT! The Pats lost because they made bad mistakes. The ONLY thing Denver did better was hold on to that damned ball!

We stopped the run and our offense moved the ball up and down the field. Problem is, we gave them that ball when we got close or at the end zone! Big problem, yes - cost us the game, but to knick pick on stuff like this is just sad!

Last edited:
Against the Broncos he looked like he was going through the motions, but that's because he knew that every quarter of a second counted. if he made it look prettier, he likely would have been sacked a hundred times. He had no time to throw. No time to play-action even.

Look, I'm going to pull a Peyton Manning and call out Tom Ashworth (I can do that, can't I?) because Ashworth was blocking air for much of the game. On that crucial 3rd and goal, Ashworth completely whiffed, and he had no guy to block. That wasn't even a blitz that Brady faced. Play-action isn't going to work when the defense is blitzing and even run-blitzing.

From my point-of-view, this is really the best way to attack Brady. Blitz the pass, blitz the run. But Brady showed that he can also burn you if you do this. Next year, if teams adopt the Broncos approach, this is what I expect. A faster RB who can break the run blitz and burst through that single line of defense. A returning OL with Light, Koppen, Mankins and Kaczur to buy Brady an extra second, no bonehead fumbles from Faulk, Brown and Hobbs. If teams adopt the Broncos approach to this game, they will get blown out next year.

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
Wow, could NOT agree more!
Brady had the best % QB rating with play action in the NFL this year, but ummm, yeah, it just wasn't what it used to be.

Please....people - STOP IT! The Pats lost because they made bad mistakes. The ONLY thing Denver did better was hold on to that damned ball!

We stopped the run and our offense moved the ball up and down the field. Problem is, we gave them that ball when we got close or at the end zone! Big problem, yes - cost us the game, but to knick pick on stuff like this is just sad!

Totally agree. What a ridiculous topic.

upstater1 said:
Against the Broncos he looked like he was going through the motions, but that's because he knew that every quarter of a second counted. if he made it look prettier, he likely would have been sacked a hundred times. He had no time to throw. No time to play-action even.

Look, I'm going to pull a Peyton Manning and call out Tom Ashworth (I can do that, can't I?) because Ashworth was blocking air for much of the game. On that crucial 3rd and goal, Ashworth completely whiffed, and he had no guy to block. That wasn't even a blitz that Brady faced. Play-action isn't going to work when the defense is blitzing and even run-blitzing.

From my point-of-view, this is really the best way to attack Brady. Blitz the pass, blitz the run. But Brady showed that he can also burn you if you do this. Next year, if teams adopt the Broncos approach, this is what I expect. A faster RB who can break the run blitz and burst through that single line of defense. A returning OL with Light, Koppen, Mankins and Kaczur to buy Brady an extra second, no bonehead fumbles from Faulk, Brown and Hobbs. If teams adopt the Broncos approach to this game, they will get blown out next year.

:agree:

Also agree that this kind of nit picking at the guy who is the least of our problems going forward is almost embarrasing. Play action has only been successful because of it's limited use this season. Given the inconsistent line play and almost non existent power running game to go to that well more often probably would have cost us a QB, the one thing this team cannot afford to lose and still win.

Brady has told us every week, win or lose, from the first game of the season that this offense was frustratingly inconsistent and execution was the problem. While play calling may seem predictable and unimaginative to some at times (or to NEM all the time) it is a cause and effect result of inconsistent execution across the board on offense. It apparently remained under the radar for some because the D was so bad for so long. The D finally got it's act together but the O never really did. That's why this season and our even making the playoffs was such a testament to Brady. He did it again with smoke and mirrors while getting the snot beat out of him most every week, and he just couldn't carry that load indefinitely in the playoffs where the level of opposition is ramped up. And he couldn't overcome a barrage of mistakes magnified by incompetent officiating. In the end he was obviously trying too hard to.

maverick4 said:

I think in general the football fundamentals regressed a little bit this year. Brady's play action fakes, and also receivers' ability to not drop balls, have both gone backwards. I remember we used to lead the league in not dropping passes, but I bet we slipped this year.

Just the week before commentators were raving about how good his play action move was - it may have been lacking in Denver but I don't think he'd have permanently lost all his skills in one week

I think your stats come from that graphic during the Jags game - and I think you're pretty close to being correct

You don't get much higher than a 140 QB rating either so it'd be a tough case to make that he's gotten worse... indeed as we discussed last week, reserving play action is a good strategy to make it more effective - but perhaps that's something that gets revisited in the offseason

Use it more frequently, as a 115 QB rating is still pretty damn good

Pats lack of running game is killing your team. No respect, lots of blitzes, and lots of this.
attachment.php

OK NUMBER ONE I'M NOT NITPICKING I'M JUST #@$#@$$@$#@ ASKING IF YOU GUYS NOTICED IT, I'M NOT SAYING IT'S THE REASON WE LOST, I'M NOT SAYING HE'S A HAS BEEN HACK, I'M NOT SAYING HE SUCKS OR HE COST US THE GAME OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS HAVE YOU NOTICED IT DOESN'T LOOK AS GOOD AS BEFORE, READ ABSOLUTLY NOTHING MORE IN TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, all I did was ask a ******* question and I'm getting the 3rd degree. It's not like I said:

"Everyone knows that Brady sucks and his horrible play action move was the one and only reason we lost to the Broncos Saturday night."

I don't think this is a ridiculous topic. I mean it's not like the topic is "Brady sucks now because his play action move isn't the same". It's just a thread noticing something this year in Brady. I noticed it as well, it seems like he doesn't try to sell it as much as he has in the past. That doesn't mean it doesn't work as well or that Brady is a worse qb for it. Just an observation.

Maybe the motion to the rb is the only thing that matters and all the extra selling of it is just for show since it wont make the db's bite any harder, it's either they bite off the bat or they don't. Maybe Brady has figured this out, or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

maverick4 said:

I just checked the game tape, and you were pretty damn close:

2004 - 24% of passes - 119.5
2005 - 11% of passes - 143.0 (led NFL)

I'm just wondering could it be that it's different because of something Dillion does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft