PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Borges got me...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFaninAZ said:
"Breech" was misspelled in the original e-mail to Borges, so perhaps he was just repeating the mistake. Now, "lerned" on the other hand is simply astounding.

What a moron.

He needs to turn on automatic spelling checking when he sends an e-mail.

lobster said:
I was impressed with Borges response - clearly he has been thinking about this situation and it's broader implications. Belichick broke his contract because he saw greener pastures elsewhere, no other reason. Tthe principle is largely the same.

Baloney. People seem to forget that this was NOT the first time that BB was named head coach of the New York Jets!

The first time was in 1997 when the Tuna tried to get cute with the Pats right after going to the Jets so that they wouldn't have to give Kraft compensation. Remember who was named the "Puppet Coach"?????? Remember what a sham it was? Who really thought that BB was going to really call the shots in 1997 with Parcells merely standing there in the FO offering support as a "Consultant"?

In 1999, the understanding BB had was that when he eventually took over, he would have at least coaching and most personnel autonomy. Later, when Parcells made it clear that he was staying on in the FO, then it horribly became apparent to BB that he was going to be a figurehead who would be a punching bag there if things went badly (much like the 1997 sham).

Comparing this situation to Branch's is the height of journalistic malpractice.

PatsFaninAZ said:
"Breech" was misspelled in the original e-mail to Borges, so perhaps he was just repeating the mistake. Now, "lerned" on the other hand is simply astounding.

What a moron.

Borges possibly forgot the 'a'. Come on, do you triple- spell check all of your e-mails or PM's? Props to him for taking the time to respond to a reader. He's still a stubborn, agenda-driven man however.

lobster said:
I was impressed with Borges response - clearly he has been thinking about this situation and it's broader implications. Belichick broke his contract because he saw greener pastures elsewhere, no other reason. The principle is largely the same.

Actually, I don't believe that it could be considered breaking his contract since Assistant Coaches are supposed to be allowed to interview with other teams for potential head coaching jobs. Parcells and the Jets refused to allow Belichick to interview with Kraft (if I remember correctly and if I don't then I will surely be corrected) and they sought to promote Belichick as a way of keeping him locked into the Jets position since he had a clause in his contract about being promoted back to the HC position.

lobster said:
On the other hand the league can't have players holding out, getting permission to seek a trade and then being rewarded with a big pay day. That's one reason they have a contract with the players so there won't be hold out's.

DaBruinz said:
Actually, I don't believe that it could be considered breaking his contract since Assistant Coaches are supposed to be allowed to interview with other teams for potential head coaching jobs. Parcells and the Jets refused to allow Belichick to interview with Kraft (if I remember correctly and if I don't then I will surely be corrected) and they sought to promote Belichick as a way of keeping him locked into the Jets position since he had a clause in his contract about being promoted back to the HC position.

Yup, that's the way I recall it too. I think at the time I recall rumors that Parcells was even toying with the idea of becoming the figurehead owner of the JETS as part of an investor group and he didn't want to lose BB who was just as determined not to become a figurehead HC who would get the blame for the impending suckitude and cap catastrophe that was looming as part of one of Bills expensive turnarounds. So at the press conference Tuna called to announce his promotion Bill resigned - I'll never forget it, or what the Boston media made of it. Tuna was the genius and Belichick was a being fitted for a straight jacket. If he got keep one of dead Leon's millions after extricating himself from that cluster**** he deserved it in lieu of filing defamation suits against the Globe and Herald and those duplicitous nutjobs who were running the asylum in the Meadowlands.

Now that he's got his personal e-mail address, fgssand should screw the Mr. Nice Guy attitude and just send Ronnie a copy of this thread. :D

Jeez. For all that so many on this board despise Borges, we sure spend a lot of time worrying about what he writes. Shurely (got the RB spellchecker on my PC) it would be better to ignore him?:confused:

BelichickFan said:
The contract thing with Belichick is an easy shot to take at him. And there may be some merit to it technically and legally. However, to a reasonable person it is easy to understand why he did it given that the person he agreed to work for DIED. I realize the contract was with the NYJ, not Leon Hess. But when a person signs a contract for a job and the person he would be working for, and with whom he signed the contract, dies and you have no idea about what his sucessor will be like, it is fully understandable. Especially when the owner can make the HC and after the Cleveland fiasco Belichick knew he probably only had one more chance.

He did not breach his contract, he choose not to fulfill it.

patman52 said:
He did not breach his contract, he choose not to fulfill it.

"He chooses" is present tense. "He chose" is past tense.

Oh, that sloppy Borges.

PFnV

primetime said:
Ron Borges compared guys playing football to slavery?

That wasn't a Warren Sapp line, he's saying no longer does anybody HAVE TO work for anybody else. Branch is willing to pay the consequences so he doesn't have to play in New England. How is that false?

EDIT: He doesn't use spell-check on his personal emails the same way everybody else doesn't. We're so much smarter! Yay!

AND MORE ONE EDIT: Kudos to schmessy for actually taking on a RELEVANT issue with the email. The rest of you, continue on with your metaphor sniping and grammar critiques.

Last edited:
Borges is the ass clown of Boston Print Media...

Couple of years ago I e-mailed him about an article he wrote, I was quite critical, he came back with an juvenile name calling response...even I was surprised as how much of an idiot he sounded like. What I can never understand is how he gets so much play on Game Day pre-shows, his venom for BB never ends and he is often misinformed.

Borges points are valid. The whole issue concerns contractual law. Deion has as much right as BB to try to change his situation, provided he pay the penalties.

I suspect BB fully relates to Deion's situation, but at this point BB is holding out for what's best for the Pats. After all, no one is more pragmatic than BB -- he's not interested in sticking it to Deion. Either Deion will be signed or traded, but right now all sides (including the Jets) are using the tools at their disposal (contracts, arbitration, the media) to get the best deal they can.

RI Pats Fan said:
EDIT: He doesn't use spell-check on his personal emails the same way everybody else doesn't. We're so much smarter! Yay!

AND MORE ONE EDIT: Kudos to schmessy for actually taking on a RELEVANT issue with the email. The rest of you, continue on with your metaphor sniping and grammar critiques.

I'm disappointed by many of the responses on this thread.

Folks, Borges is peddling rank innaccuracies here and all you can do is comment on his grammar?????

Kinda like basing all one's criticisms regarding Peyton Manning on his hairstyle.

There's enough meat with the (lack of) truth in what Borges is peddling. Focusing on his grammar and ignoring his falsehoods allows him to get away with it.

Patters said:
Borges points are valid.

Are they really? The numbers he quotes make it appear that there is an extraordinary gulf between the Patriots and the other offers ("he could make $36 million to $39 million elsewhere for 5 years rather than the $19-23 million NE offered. In fact, he lerned [sic] he could get $23M elsewhere in the first three years with over $12 M guaranteed"). From what I've understood, the difference between the Patriots offers and the others seem to be fairly marginal if one leaves out the 2006 season and treats the contract as if it were starting from 2007. That seems to be acknowledged by the fact that Chayut and Branch are disputing the fairness of that last season.

Holding out and breaking your contract is a tactic of last resort: it would be jutified perhaps if you were being offered only 60% of what you were being offered elsewhere.

Patters said:
The whole issue concerns contractual law. Deion has as much right as BB to try to change his situation, provided he pay the penalties.

I suspect BB fully relates to Deion's situation, but at this point BB is holding out for what's best for the Pats. After all, no one is more pragmatic than BB -- he's not interested in sticking it to Deion. Either Deion will be signed or traded, but right now all sides (including the Jets) are using the tools at their disposal (contracts, arbitration, the media) to get the best deal they can.

I disagree with this too. The fact remains that Deion is a free agent at the end of this season -- or will be paid at a level equivalent to the top five players at his position in the league. He has said that he is interested in playing in New England but being recompensed better or in being better recompensed elsewhere. If that's truly what he wants, all he has to do is wait -- unlike BB, for whom the chance to be a Head Coach in New England (and, arguably, to be a truly independent Head Coach) would never come along again.

(It's possible that Branch wants out of New England at all costs. In that case, he's hardly been negotiating with the team "in good faith".)

I'm as sympathetic with the underdog as the next guy, but Ron's depiction of Deion's position can't be right.

PatsFaninAZ said:

What a moron.

That is the probelm with spell checker ...breech and breach are both there. Lerned, now that is a different story.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:
Yup, that's the way I recall it too. I think at the time I recall rumors that Parcells was even toying with the idea of becoming the figurehead owner of the JETS as part of an investor group and he didn't want to lose BB who was just as determined not to become a figurehead HC who would get the blame for the impending suckitude and cap catastrophe that was looming as part of one of Bills expensive turnarounds. So at the press conference Tuna called to announce his promotion Bill resigned - I'll never forget it, or what the Boston media made of it. Tuna was the genius and Belichick was a being fitted for a straight jacket. If he got keep one of dead Leon's millions after extricating himself from that cluster**** he deserved it in lieu of filing defamation suits against the Globe and Herald and those duplicitous nutjobs who were running the asylum in the Meadowlands.

Now that he's got his personal e-mail address, fgssand should screw the Mr. Nice Guy attitude and just send Ronnie a copy of this thread. :D

Bingo - we have bingo, it will be sent to him at Noon!

http://www.patsfans.com/price/blog/?q=node/283

Quote:
Q: There were reports that it was a four-year deal that would average between seven and eight million per season. Is that accurate?
RS: Hey, that's the report.

Q: Will you say what the actual contract was or is?
RS: Well, I think that's pretty accurate."

Since Richard Seymour considers his 3-year extension a 4-year deal averaging between seven and eight million per season, it is a reasonable position to consider a 3-year extension a 4-year deal and use 4 years to average out the worth of the deal.

Most deals are evaluated by how much money the player gets in the 1st 3 years of the deal.

In 2006/2007/2008 Branch would have gotten 14.945 million from the Pats.
From most reports Branch would have gotten $23 million in 2006/2007/2008 from the Seahawks/Jets.

When the NFLPA.org publishes their research documents, their APY is an average of the player's total cap number over the life of the entire deal, not just the extension.

Footnote - This was Mike Reiss' report.
`
The breakdown in talks traces to May, when the Patriots attempted to spark negotiations by offering Branch a contract extension through 2009. The offer included a $4 million signing bonus and $4 million option bonus payable in 2007. Branch's base salary for 2006 would be $1.045 million, followed by salaries of $1.4 million in 2007, $4.3 million in 2008, and $4.75 million in 2009. The deal also included workout bonuses of $300,000. Over the four years of the deal, Branch would be paid just shy of $5 million per year. Assessing only the three years added to the original contract, plus bonus money, Branch would be averaging about $6.25 million per year.

Looking at the contract over a four-year period (2006-09), Branch would be tied for 17th among NFL receivers in average salary per year with Washington's Santana Moss, St. Louis's Isaac Bruce, and Dallas's Terry Glenn. Focusing solely on the three years added to the original contract (2007-09), Branch would rank 13th in average salary per year, between Pittsburgh's Hines Ward (12th) and Miami's Chris Chambers and Denver's Rod Smith (tied for 14th). Currently, Branch's base salary ranks him 44th among NFL receivers (all rankings are as of the beginning of July) .

Mike the Brit said:
The fact remains that Deion is a free agent at the end of this season -- or will be paid at a level equivalent to the top five players at his position in the league. He has said that he is interested in playing in New England but being recompensed better or in being better recompensed elsewhere. If that's truly what he wants, all he has to do is wait -- unlike BB, for whom the chance to be a Head Coach in New England (and, arguably, to be a truly independent Head Coach) would never come along again.

Well, of course no two situations are exactly the same, but there are reasonable parallels between Deions and BB's. I'm not defending Deion or BB. In my opinion this is a battle between millionaires playing on the field of business. Both sides are playing a game, and neither side appears to be winning. While the Pats may have an advantage, they don't want the Deion issue hanging over them, and they probably will need to make some sort of move; otherwise, they won't even get a second rounder for Deion. But, right now, each side is calling the other's bluff.

shmessy said:
1)
That's shockingly off. He conveniently forgets to write that the "$19-23 million" he says the Pats offered (I belive it was $19 million) were for 3 (THREE) years, not five - - still not as much as the $36 to $39 million offered by the Jets and hawks, but also without the insulting veto of a 2nd round pick as compensation - - let's face it, they knew that was a deal killer so the veracity of those numbers are in question. The cardinal rule of journalism is to "Get it first, but get it right". He sure is sloppy, with his errors coincidentally favoring his point.

The part of Lincoln freeing the slaves is Borges at his contemptible worst. I can't speak for others, but were I African-American I'd be offended by the analogy.

Excellent post shmessy. I almost fell off my chair when Borges made the slavery comment.

Your email to Borges was not a waste of time and here is why.

1. He brought up the BB situation wiith the JEST. When BB did agree to the deal, Hess was alive and Parcells said he would retire. Parcells did not retire - he was going to be in charge of the "groceries". Hess died and BB didn't know who the new owner would be a what kind of changes would be made. Good reasons to decide to leave.

2. I can't speak for slaves but I think most of them would have likes getting $1mil plus fortheir work and then being offered even a bigger contract with much more $. I may be wrong about this but I wouldn't compare pampered athletes of today.

So, your email brought out the even more arrogant and stupid side of Borges for all of us to see.

PATSNUTme said:
Your email to Borges was not a waste of time and here is why.

1. He brought up the BB situation wiith the JEST. When BB did agree to the deal, Hess was alive and Parcells said he would retire. Parcells did not retire - he was going to be in charge of the "groceries". Hess died and BB didn't know who the new owner would be a what kind of changes would be made. Good reasons to decide to leave.

2. I can't speak for slaves but I think most of them would have likes getting $1mil plus fortheir work and then being offered even a bigger contract with much more $. I may be wrong about this but I wouldn't compare pampered athletes of today.

So, your email brought out the even more arrogant and stupid side of Borges for all of us to see.
I agree...the part about slavery is TOTALLY offensive without any doubt. Comparing one who is making millions to a slave. Sorry miss the analogy Ron..that was a big strike out. and the fact that he brings up BB when talking about Deion is totally getting away from what is being discussed..means he has NO arguments at all with Deion..just bring up something else OFF topic. Did you send any reply?? Maybe you should..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents