PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Pats' FA's afraid to go back to NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpats

Banned
Reaction score
I get the sense that when our free agents "test the market" that it's a one-way ticket and that they'll visit as many teams as they can in order to get a deal that surpasses New England's- and w/ Dan Snyder and other owners willing to overpay, they always will.

Are our free agents afraid to come back to NE with their tail tucked between their legs?

It's not that surprising and is the opposite of the Harrison Syndrome. You have players like Harrison who have made plenty of money (maybe not by today's standards, but plenty) who desperately want a ring. With the Patriots you have players who have the ring(s) and now desperately want a big payday.

Being a winning team helps in one way (not this year, though) but hurts in another. This year with all the cap space it seems like everyone just wants the big $$$.

thats a misconception because the Pats gave harrison more money then the Raiders and Broncos that year, the Raiders had just been in the SB and the Pats missed the playoffs.

R_T26 said:
thats a misconception because the Pats gave harrison more money then the Raiders and Broncos that year, the Raiders had just been in the SB and the Pats missed the playoffs.
I don't remember the offers but it's safe to say that before this year players have been attracted to our winning. Some enough to sign for less, others not.

richpats said:
I get the sense that when our free agents "test the market" that it's a one-way ticket and that they'll visit as many teams as they can in order to get a deal that surpasses New England's- and w/ Dan Snyder and other owners willing to overpay, they always will.

Are our free agents afraid to come back to NE with their tail tucked between their legs?
I think that any player who is allowed to test free agency in the first place isn't viewed as a high priority player in the eyes of the Pats brass to begin with. That's strike #1 against them returning. Strike #2 is that they are sure to be offered more money to play elsewhere than they'll be offered in NE.

If the player isn't able to secure more money elsewhere, and if the Pats want them back, then a good chance exists that they are re-signed. Otherwise, they are allowed to lave.

Bobs My Uncle said:
I think that any player who is allowed to test free agency in the first place isn't viewed as a high priority player in the eyes of the Pats brass to begin with. That's strike #1 against them returning. Strike #2 is that they are sure to be offered more money to play elsewhere than they'll be offered in NE.

If the player isn't able to secure more money elsewhere, and if the Pats want them back, then a good chance exists that they are re-signed. Otherwise, they are allowed to lave.

ProFootballtalk today has a quote from Seth McKinney that's very telling. In short, players want to be wanted, recruited. The team making the offer for a player and blowing sunshine up his rear is going to come across in a much more favorable light that the team that matches it or makes a counteroffer. All players have egos, all want to be stroked, and usually once a player hits the open market, he's as good as gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back