PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

#1 Rush Defense: Patriots, 3.49 yards per rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDChE

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just saw that the Pat's are the #1 rush D in the NFL. Only allowing 3.49 yards/attempt. That's pretty awesome IMO. granted it's only half the season, but that's the best YPC number/ranking we've had in the Belichick era.

2011 25th
2010 15th
2009 23rd
2008 15th
2007 28th
2006 10th (3.9 ypc)
2005 4th (3.6 ypc)
2004 11th (3.9 ypc)
2003 6th (3.6 ypc)
2002 29th
2001 21st
2000 6th (3.7 ypc)

It is great. Now we only need our pass defense to improve and we'll be on our way.

It is great. Now we only need our pass defense to improve and we'll be on our way.

That would be nice wouldn't it? If they could just pull off a 2006 Colts type run they'll be hoisting another Lombardi.

I won't be holding my breath for that, though.

EDIT: We have an awesome young front 7. They should be shutting the running game down for a few more years like this. If we can get some chemistry, talent and leadership int eh defensive backfield this team could be awesome for another few years while Brady can still sling it. Unfortunately the secondary development has been nil the last 5 years.

Last edited:
The front seven is fiscious. Spikes kills people, Love and Vince just eat up every OL in sight and dont budge an inch, Mayo flies coast to coast to tackle everything, Ninko and Jones set the edge on the way to the QB as good as anyone in the NFL, and Hightower looks like one heck of young instinctive LB.

We have a pass defense? You mean they were actually trying to stop those plays?

I kid.

part of the reason they are good against the run is becasue people just have to pass 24/7 on them and can move the ball at will...once the secondary gets better (if it does) you will see the rush D get a tad worse

part of the reason they are good against the run is becasue people just have to pass 24/7 on them and can move the ball at will...once the secondary gets better (if it does) you will see the rush D get a tad worse

A false assumption as the defensive statistic quoted by the OP is based on yards per carry allowed. More attempts certainly could mean a greater average per carry but not necessarily.

I agree with your other post. Even a marginal improvement in the secondary will have a big effect (as teams are striking gold by attacking the secondary). I would argue the sole improvement they need to make is not allowing the big pass plays. Any improvement beyond that is icing on the cake.

That would be nice wouldn't it? If they could just pull off a 2006 Colts type run they'll be hoisting another Lombardi.

I won't be holding my breath for that, though.

EDIT: We have an awesome young front 7. They should be shutting the running game down for a few more years like this. If we can get some chemistry, talent and leadership int eh defensive backfield this team could be awesome for another few years while Brady can still sling it. Unfortunately the secondary development has been nil the last 5 years.

I feel you address this via FA, just like we did with Rodney. One stud veteran safety would work wonders for this secondary.

I feel you address this via FA, just like we did with Rodney. One stud veteran safety would work wonders for this secondary.

They tried it again with a SD safety but hasn't worked out so far. There aren't many stud safetys in this league and they are hard to get. The best chance we had to get one was 2011 with Goldson. God how could they let this guy leave without signing him :(

It's a nice ranking, but it's not like they're playing w/ a 3 & out kind of offense. When opponents are playing from behind, it changes the dynamic somewhat.

It's a nice ranking, but it's not like they're playing w/ a 3 & out kind of offense. When opponents are playing from behind, it changes the dynamic somewhat.

Yeah, it's kind of the opposite of "complementary football" to have a strong run D with an offense that usually gives the D a lead to protect. Bolstering the pass D would seem to make more sense, but maybe they are just playing the hand they were dealt and running the best scheme for the personnel available.

just to put it in perspective. here is the top 10

NE 203 att against 3.5 ypr/a
MIA 163 att against 3.5 ypr/a
TB 169 att against 3.5 ypr/a
SD 154 att against 3.6 ypr/a
SF 192 att against 3.6 ypr/a
DE 202 att against 3.7 ypr/a
SEA 183 att against 3.7 ypr/a
CHI 145 att against 3.8 ypr/a
HOU 150 att against 3.9 ypr/a
MINN 222 att against 3.9 ypr/a

So it's not like they have been run on less than some of the teams and the yards per rush allowed is skewed.

Last edited:
I love our front 7, I really think they are that damn good.

With a much improved running game, we only need to see an improved secondary to be classed as "unstoppable"..cant be too gready though eh.

just to put it in perspective. here is the top 10

NE 203 att against 3.5 ypr/a
MIA 163 att against 3.5 ypr/a
TB 169 att against 3.5 ypr/a
SD 154 att against 3.6 ypr/a
SF 192 att against 3.6 ypr/a
DE 202 att against 3.7 ypr/a
SEA 183 att against 3.7 ypr/a
CHI 145 att against 3.8 ypr/a
HOU 150 att against 3.9 ypr/a
MINN 222 att against 3.9 ypr/a

So it's not like they have been run on less than some of the teams and the yards per rush allowed is skewed.

We have faced two of those defenses (DE and SEA). We avg'd 4.6 ypr/a against DEnver but only 3.3 ypr/a against SEAttle.

We have four more games against teams on that top 10 list the second half of the season, so it will be interesting to see how the balanced offense holds up!

A false assumption as the defensive statistic quoted by the OP is based on yards per carry allowed. More attempts certainly could mean a greater average per carry but not necessarily.

Yeah just realized that...thread title a bit misleading

New England Patriots defense thru eight games:

Rushing yards allowed: 8th

Rushing touchdowns allowed: 6th

2012 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Those numbers are heavily influenced by the total number of plays faced. When your pass D gives up 1st downs on 3rd and long like clockwork, you're going to face more running plays and more goal to go situations. Yards per carry is the best indicator of rush defense performance.

I like our front 7 and the run defense. A good defense starts there, so we are on our way.

That being said, I'm pretty sure teams are just using running plays to rest their WRs before sending them downfield for another PI call on our DBs.

:D

There is no reason for teams to run the ball on the Patriots. Any team worth their salt would come out throwing and keep on throwing.

There is no reason for teams to run the ball on the Patriots. Any team worth their salt would come out throwing and keep on throwing.

I have no clue why teams haven't been doing this for the last three years. Seriously, they shouldn't run at all, ever, especially considering the effectiveness of the run D this year. Throw every down, it has to give you the best chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back