Welcome to PatsFans.com

Zone Blocking Sucks

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by cstjohn17, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Mr. Neatheral here, I know that this is a bold new world and the whole NFL is now a passing game but...

Man I miss the old school, mano a mano power running attack they had with Corey Dillion.

The zone scheme works good for the 4 and 5 receiver sets but when the O Line is asked to power up and gain a 3 & 2 or 4 & 1 they are at a big disadvantage, especially if the team is passing 50 times a game.

More of a random rant but as fancy and smart as the game has become it is still about 1:1 matches, block that guy, tacle that guy, etc.
  2. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +75 / 4 / -0

Can't say I know enough about offensive line play to agree or disagree, but I will say the O-Line's play in short yardage this year has been a real problem spot thus far. They clearly aren't creating holes in those situations.
  3. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

With our RBs, you need zone blocking. We may not have a high YPC initially, but there's a better chance of breaking one if we stick with it.
  4. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

I disagree.. Taylor played in a power running scheme in, Morris in Miami and Law Firm has the right build for it. Maroney may be a better fit for a zone but IMO he is the Ben Watson of RBs. All potential, some flash, a little tease but mostly average.

I am not saying switch to 3 yards and a cloud of dust but I do love the power sweep. Buffalo ran a couple of good ones in week 1.
  5. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 6 / -12

Yes.....Green Light....Maroney bashing time. Did you hear the one about the first round draft pick that only had 6 carries on Sunday....ba da, da.....next
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.