PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zero To Hero...Off The Street Pick-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Troy was drafted in the 1993 Draft in the eighth round, the last year the draft had an eighth round.
but there were fewer teams then. If that 8 round draft were done today, he'd be in the late sixth round. He was picked #200 overall, I believe.

But what is this with the OP calling UDFAs zeros and wannabe JAGs?

These guys work as hard or harder than players drafted high. I like a success story as well as anybody, but there is no need to look down on these guys as though we are somehow so much better.

Everyone places so much stock on being drafted and draft position. Not drafted is not necessarily being a Zero.

Benjarvus is another UDFA that is having a nice career here.

Hoyer is doing ok.

Lockett looks like a top Special Teamer and from first-hand experience he and Slater look like a very, very good combination on Kick-off Coverage.

Bill and whoever he has with him (Pioli, now Caserio) always seem to find one UDFA gem every year.

But what is this with the OP calling UDFAs zeros and wannabe JAGs?
Appologies if the wording offends. I simply meant to discuss unheard of players who turned from walking the street to being on the Pats sideline :)

Spacecrime, while your numbers 'line up', it still doesn't alter the fact he was drafted in the eighth round in 1993;)

We have no way of knowing if he would still have been drafted in that slot or if he was merely drafted in the eighth as just kind of a 'well, why not, it's the last round' pick.

Playing with history is never a good idea:)

Not jumping on you, just reminding that we have no way of forecasting the past.

Maroney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It's Friday....couldn't resist.....;-) )

Last edited:
but there were fewer teams then. If that 8 round draft were done today, he'd be in the late sixth round. He was picked #200 overall, I believe.

8th-round pick Troy Brown was picked one spot earlier in the draft than 6th-round pick Tom Brady.

However, Brown was also cut once, so there's a true street-FA-to-Pro-Bowl story there if you want to look at it that way.

Joe Andruzzi was a guy picked up off the street if my memory serves. He turned out pretty good!

8th-round pick Troy Brown was picked one spot earlier in the draft than 6th-round pick Tom Brady.

However, Brown was also cut once, so there's a true street-FA-to-Pro-Bowl story there if you want to look at it that way.

Yea...Tuna cut him b/c he thought he was a slacker.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST