Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Zappe is clearly the future. This is a tough situation. I think MJ’s perceived value—and subsequent trade value—would take a hit being demoted.

Is BB waiting for Hoyer to be able to backup Zappe before he begins dangling Jones?
No
Trade deadline has passed

Zappe is clearly the future. This is a tough situation. I think MJ’s perceived value—and subsequent trade value—would take a hit being demoted.

Is BB waiting for Hoyer to be able to backup Zappe before he begins dangling Jones?
Yikes, so that we can transform that 1st round pick into a 6th in less than 2 years? Wow. I'm afraid it's not as clear to most that he's a bust. (My momentary case of Zappe fever has now subsided somewhat.)

They're going to give Mac as much rope as they can possibly can before making a decision to stay or move on, maybe this entire season.

Mac would have to completely fold for them to insert Zappe, they realize once they do that... there's no going back. They're trying to salvage Mac and the draft pick.

Mac has it in him to play well. When he went down with injury he was 11th in passing yards and the team was 10th on third downs. He can pass, he can play well. He has to eliminate the 2-3 bad plays a game. Can he? That's the magic question.

They're going to give Mac as much rope as they can possibly can before making a decision to stay or move on, maybe this entire season.
Agreed. It is only Mac's second season - he would have to be very bad to be pulled. Evaluating through 2 seasons might not be enough.
Mac would have to completely fold for them to insert Zappe, they realize once they do that... there's no going back. They're trying to salvage Mac and the draft pick.

Mac has it in him to play well. When he went down with injury he was 11th in passing yards and the team was 10th on third downs. He can pass, he can play well. He has to eliminate the 2-3 bad plays a game. Can he? That's the magic question.
I look at it more generally. Mac has to read the defense, correctly progress through his reads, and distribute the ball (not look at Myers so much). I think the bad plays take care of themselves if the Mac stays calm and hits the open receiver. He was able to do that in a very structured environment at the beginning of last year, but with teams stacking the box and the MOF, Mac needs to open up and be more flexible to take what the defense gives him. The structured short dink and dunk passing, with a lot of drop-offs, will never get us anywhere. Brady dinked and dunked a lot because that was what the defense was giving him (as they took away the intermediate and deep passes). Defenses are not afraid of Mac on intermediate and deep routes, so Mac has to show he can consistently pass to all levels, and then he will be in command. Mac might have a few bad plays per game as he breaks out (or implodes), but that is not what determines his progress. I think Zappe is better at attacking all three levels, but is physically limited, so he will be a career backup for a long time.

Zappe has his limitations but I’m not sure there’s much of a physical/athletic gap between him and Jones. Best as I can tell, Zappe is functionally better with his feet, moves better, quicker, stronger core/trunk. The only meaningful difference between the two of them appears to be 2” of height, which isn’t nothing, but I don’t think it’s the end-all-be-all (or even that big of a deal).

And putting aside direct comparisons, a 6’1” QB - while not ideal if you were crafting a perfect player in a lab - is plenty of height to play, start, and thrive as an NFL QB, so long as other parts of their game are played at a high-level. Brees, Wilson are ample proof, and they’re both shorter than Zappe.

its still 50/50. i dont think mac did anything from last game that zapster couldnt do

Where was Josh Allen his first two years, heard he was a bust.
Not from me you didn't. Go back and look at Allen's numbers. He was good in his second season. He was great in his third season. He's the best quarterback in the NFL in his fifth season. What more do you want?

Mac not making the case for himself 1st half vs Dolts. Not a Mac hater here.

The part about the Jones-Zappe convo that gets me is this: some people often say two (contradictory) things at the same time:

"The Zappe offense is not sustainable and won't be able to win against better teams in bigger games"
"Scale the offense down and gives Jones more of the Zappe concepts and he'll have more success"

Seems like since the start of the 2nd half against the Jets, they've been giving Jones shorter, simpler stuff (or at least more of it), and that's about all he can manage. Gets lost in the pocket on the deeper concepts.

He can get the ball out to his first read on the short stuff, but beyond that I'm not seeing much. I don't think he's even doing the "Zappe stuff" better than Zappe was. Zappe has looked better at pretty much every part of playing the position imo, and with two full games since Jones' return, I still believe this is the case.

At this point I'm ready to roll with Zappe coming out of the bye.

Last edited:
I have supported Mac through these troubling times, but I have finally crossed over to the dark side and now decided Zappe is the qb of the future. Thoughts??

I can’t go through too many more games of Mac not going through all his reads.

I am curious about what BB does for the rest of the season. Mac doesn't look the same.

Also sidenote, but the Jets defense does appear to be legit. I think they add Jimmy G in the offseason.

I don't know if Zappe is better than Mac overall, or ultimately in ceiling. But, Mac's missing something right now. Zappe provides something, and maybe it's just due to him being allowed to just play simple ball - using instinct and having no expectation. But I don't know that Zappe can throw over DL's when the OL is collapsing so often.

Zappe looked pretty bad vs the Bears. He got the Pats a lead and then imploded.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back