PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zackary Bowman, Pats CB draft target, waived by Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. If they can make room for him, why not? I'm not sure who they'd cut though. Maybe C.J. Jones, Ray Ventrone, or Pociask? Can't see them cutting a CB--not when we have two rookies and a guy new to the system on the team. We would have zero depth for at least a few weeks.

Not sure they could cut LeVoir either. We would than have only three backups on the line.

Tough decision.

Last edited:
I think they should. I mean what is LeVoir going to do?
Well..at the time he wa sbrought in they had 6 healthy O linemen..,so I think he may be needed if there are injuries for a little bit longer..

He's a 6-2 corner with 4.40 speed.
Very highly rated.
The problem was multiple injuries in college.

I don't know if that was related to his release.
If he is not injured, he provides something the Patriots do not have - a tall corner with speed.

If the Pats figure LeVoir would be on inactive the first week, why not take a shot and claim him? They can waive him later if they need a spot, and try to place him on the PS in-season, when rosters are more solid. Then pick up another OT if needed.

Right now they have a larger offensive squad than defensive, for the first time ever. So a move like this would balance the roster.

By the way, I believe Trae Williams was waived as well. He had the most INT's of the drafted CB's this year.

Well..at the time he wa sbrought in they had 6 healthy O linemen..,so I think he may be needed if there are injuries for a little bit longer..

But he has little to no experience in our system. He could be a complete flop and hes there for injury purposes. Bowman would add to a position that is in dire need of help.

He's a 6-2 corner with 4.40 speed.
Very highly rated.
The problem was multiple injuries in college.

I don't know if that was related to his release.
If he is not injured, he provides something the Patriots do not have - a tall corner with speed.
If the Pats figure LeVoir would be on inactive the first week, why not take a shot and claim him? They can waive him later if they need a spot, and try to place him on the PS in-season, when rosters are more solid. Then pick up another OT if needed.

Right now they have a larger offensive squad than defensive, for the first time ever. So a move like this would balance the roster.

By the way, I believe Trae Williams was waived as well. He had the most INT's of the drafted CB's this year.

Got to tell you Urg. they just signed O'Neal he's fast and tall so it kind of shoots that down.

First time I ever saw a name like ZacKary spelled with a K instead of an H -

Just a grammar statement....

You may now Proceed

Here's the Bears message board reaction...

Z BOWMAN Cut

We're very lucky to have such an active board.

From a discussion on another board:
http://www.dabearz.com/forums/f4/bears-acquire-dan-buenning-34134/

"Boo on that move. Should have dropped Metcalf or Booker. Bowman already looked as good as McBride and actually has the speed and size that McBride lacks. Who wants to bet he'll be a Pat before the day is out?"

FWIW, fan reaction in Chicago seems to be uniformly unhappy with the move.

But he has little to no experience in our system. He could be a complete flop and hes there for injury purposes. Bowman would add to a position that is in dire need of help.
Unfortunately you are missing the reason for many of these moves...they are situational roster moves.. I guess you would be satisfied with only 1 backup lineman in a game?? THAT is dire..they had 6 practicing BEFORE he was picked up and THAT was the reason for the move. Hochstein returned to practice, but LeVoir is there for backup insurance. THAT is more important right now than picking up a developmental CB. If they had only 6 DBs, that might be dire..that is not the case now. LeVoir could be a flop but THAt isn't what is being looked at now. I am thinking more he may be cut depending on the injury situation and possibly go to the PSquad (if they think he might make it in time..) There will be more moves before the game..but it's essential to have 7 OL healthy going into a game.

From a discussion on another board:
http://www.dabearz.com/forums/f4/bears-acquire-dan-buenning-34134/

"Boo on that move. Should have dropped Metcalf or Booker. Bowman already looked as good as McBride and actually has the speed and size that McBride lacks. Who wants to bet he'll be a Pat before the day is out?"

FWIW, fan reaction in Chicago seems to be uniformly unhappy with the move.

Ah, couldn't find a topic on him there, good find.

wow. stupid move cutting bowman. i was excited for him. if it wasnt for injuries he was a first rounder

Boo indeed. Stupid move to cut Bowman while we had 4 RB's, 6 WR's and DT depth coming out of our ears. The secondary was already looking thin enough without this happening. As much as I was glad we cut our losses on RMJ, I'm now thinking this will all come back and bite us in the asses.

So much for the "first round talent" Jerry and Lovie were raving about. Either he dropped fast or they are full of something brown and smelly.

I bet we make a waiver claim on him but so does Atlanta and they get him due to priority because of last year's worse record. Dimitroff was in on the scouting meetings before he left and Atlanta needs seconday help in a big way.

Would LOVE to see us sign Zack. He has a great attitude, is a leader, has a ton of talent, and had the most incompetent defensive coordinator in Nebraska's history during his stint with the Huskers. Before getting injured - twice - he was a projected first rounder. He has the potential to be a 1st team corner.

LOL, we're starved at corner chomping at the bit for a guy who at best would be a decent nickel back this season. Hey, I'm not against the move..Just sayin' :-D

Good flashback! He would be more of a PS guy now, and we already have a CB on the PS (Richardson). Timing is everything.

And we are last in the pecking order for waiver claims ... let him float through and contact his agent to let him know that we want him for the PS if nobody claims him. Quite frankly, Spann is expendable from the PS as far as I am concerned.

Richardson is even more expendable. I would dump him for Bowman in a nanosecond.

Spann might still have a career as a FS/STer; Richardson will have a career selling insurance.

Last edited:
Would LOVE to see us sign Zack. He has a great attitude, is a leader, has a ton of talent, and had the most incompetent defensive coordinator in Nebraska's history during his stint with the Huskers. Before getting injured - twice - he was a projected first rounder. He has the potential to be a 1st team corner.

That was before he wrecked his knee on two different occasions. At one time he had the potential to be great. At this point I'm afraid being a solid Nickel at some point would be all we could expect from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes