Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Bears | Bowman placed on waivers
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:19:18 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Chicago Bears have placed CB Zackary Bowman on waivers

Just this afternoon.

You may remember the Pats had tried to trade up to pick Bowman in the 5th round this year, only to have him taken by the Bears a few spots earlier. They ended up drafting Slater.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/04/how_fast_things_1.html

How fast things can change
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
April 27, 2008 05:46 PM

There were two behind-the-scenes stories – one that worked out in the Patriots’ favor, and one that did not -- which reflect how the draft is fluid and teams must adjust on the fly:

In the fifth round, the Patriots were keeping a close eye on Nebraska defensive back Zackary Bowman and began working the phone lines in hopes of striking a deal to select him. A tentative deal was in place with the Jaguars at No. 143 if Bowman was available. It appeared as if things would work out, but the Bears snared Bowman at No. 142 and the deal was off.

Last edited:
Now, if early returns on Slater hold to form - the BB/SP brilliant label will grow......I think this just proves the inexact science of the NFL Draft.

Now, if early returns on Slater hold to form - the BB/SP brilliant label will grow......I think this just proves the inexact science of the NFL Draft.

I was actually suggesting something more along the lines of the Pats bringing him in.

Why? I doubt he's better than what we already have.

Just about to post this myself. A guy they were very VERY high on pre draft and post draft.

Might be brought in and let LeVoir or someone like that get cut.

Couldnt hurt. Bowman had a ton of upside.

Good stuff, pats1.

Interesting catch. If he clears waivers, I could see them trying to put him on the PS, but I'd be surprised if they signed him to the 53 ...

And it would be very telling if they dont bring him in....

Lots of Bears fans very upset over the cutting of Bowman.

He actually played very well according to most.

Good flashback! He would be more of a PS guy now, and we already have a CB on the PS (Richardson). Timing is everything.

Interesting catch. If he clears waivers, I could see them trying to put him on the PS, but I'd be surprised if they signed him to the 53 ...

Theyd have to sign him to the 53 he's on waivers.

He would have to clear waivers.

Theyd have to sign him to the 53 he's on waivers.

He would have to clear waivers.

Right. That's why I say if he clears waivers I could see them signing him to the PS, but would be surprised if they signed him to the 53, i.e. put in a waiver claim.

Right. That's why I say if he clears waivers I could see them signing him to the PS, but would be surprised if they signed him to the 53, i.e. put in a waiver claim.
I think they should. I mean what is LeVoir going to do? Bowman was someone who has great first round ability but had a ton of injuries in college and on top of that played fairly well with the bears.

We're short at DB so why not?

Here's the Bears message board reaction...

Z BOWMAN Cut

We're very lucky to have such an active board.

If Reiss is right and they wanted him ahead of Slater and he made the 53....doesnt it make sense that they think HE might make it too? We have til the 2nd game(when Faulk comes back)to put him on the roster and see what he can do. Whats the risk of them losing that big T from StL??

Very surprised by this move, and I'm torn about putting in a claim for him. The interest shown in him by the FO barely 4 months ago has been documented; the idea of 3 rookie CBs, however, is probably too risky for BB/DC to implement. If he clears waivers, and I have some doubt that he will, I would offer him an above-average PS contract, and dump Dillard.

How in the world does Jerry Angelo keep his job? He is one of the worst GMs in football, right there with Al Davis, Matt Millen, Carl Peterson & Mike Brown.

Why? I doubt he's better than what we already have.

Going by that logic, the Patriots shouldn't have bothered with Mike Vrabel.

Very surprised by this move, and I'm torn about putting in a claim for him. The interest shown in him by the FO barely 4 months ago has been documented; the idea of 3 rookie CBs, however, is probably too risky for BB/DC to implement. If he clears waivers, and I have some doubt that he will, I would offer him an above-average PS contract, and dump Dillard.

How in the world does Jerry Angelo keep his job? He is one of the worst GMs in football, right there with Al Davis, Matt Millen, Carl Peterson & Mike Brown.
I want them to make a claim. Worse that happens? we cut a guy like LeVoir or Pociask (sp?). Big deal.

Low Risk High Reward type move. make the claim then re-evaluate in a few weeks.

If he was brought in people could stop complaining about our short corners which would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes